Ink Refillable Ballpoints

Old December 3rd 04, 03:26 PM
Clawhound

Default Ink Refillable Ballpoints

I ran into a pen that is an ink refillable rollerball. The wife thought
this a great thing, and she'd love one. Does anyone remember who makes
the thing? Has anyone actually used one?

CH
Old December 3rd 04, 05:46 PM
KCat

There are a couple of manufacturers - The one that sticks in my mind because
I have a couple and have used them, is Borghini. Tryphon distributes them
and there are a couple of sellers on-line that have them (Penspiration,
Parkville pen)

www.penspiration.com/Borghini_v68_IOS.html
http://www.parkvillepen.com/borghini.html

Penlovers Paradise (www.apenloversparadise.com) sells Daniel Hechter's
"Rollink" which is the same concept, different styling. I haven't tried this
brand.

Since these are rollerballs the tips wear out and have to be replaced on
occasion. I've not done so as yet but I don't use mine a great deal.

--

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old December 3rd 04, 06:48 PM
Tim McNamara

Clawhound writes:

I ran into a pen that is an ink refillable rollerball. The wife
thought this a great thing, and she'd love one. Does anyone remember
who makes the thing? Has anyone actually used one?

Kaweco makes one that uses international cartridges. You can get them
for sure from Swisher's and probably many other places.
Old December 3rd 04, 07:00 PM
Nancy Handy

KCat wrote:

Penlovers Paradise (www.apenloversparadise.com) sells Daniel Hechter's
"Rollink" which is the same concept, different styling. I haven't tried this
brand.

I have the Daniel Hechter version and I really like it.

I also have the Kaweko and it's okay too, but I think I prefer the
Daniel Hechter. However I took out the cartridge and followed Nathan's
tip to make the Kaweko into an eyedropper that holds a lot of ink and
will write for months between fillings.

Nancy
Old December 3rd 04, 07:10 PM
Stephen Hust

Clawhound wrote:

I ran into a pen that is an ink refillable rollerball. The wife
thought this a great thing, and she'd love one. Does anyone
remember who makes the thing?

In Europe a type of refillable rollerball that takes international
ink cartridges is available from a German company called Online:

http://www.online-pen.de/pages/unsere_stifte/stifte.php?ID=5

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old December 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
KCat

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .
KCat wrote:
Daniel Hechter. However I took out the cartridge and followed Nathan's
tip to make the Kaweko into an eyedropper that holds a lot of ink and
will write for months between fillings.

Nancy

So it's an eyedropper rollerball? Cool. :-)

Old December 3rd 04, 11:55 PM
Tim McNamara

(Nancy Handy) writes:

KCat wrote:

Penlovers Paradise (
www.apenloversparadise.com) sells Daniel
Hechter's "Rollink" which is the same concept, different styling. I
haven't tried this brand.

I have the Daniel Hechter version and I really like it.

I also have the Kaweko and it's okay too, but I think I prefer the
Daniel Hechter. However I took out the cartridge and followed
Nathan's tip to make the Kaweko into an eyedropper that holds a lot
of ink and will write for months between fillings.

I tried that and mine developed some leakage between the clear plastic
of the section and the black plastic that is the housing for the point
assembly and cartridge holder. I haven't had time to try to remedy
this yet. I liked it otherwise.
Old December 4th 04, 12:56 AM
Scaupaug1

(Nancy Handy) writes:

KCat wrote:

Penlovers Paradise (www.apenloversparadise.com) sells Daniel
Hechter's "Rollink" which is the same concept, different styling. I
haven't tried this brand.

I have the Daniel Hechter version and I really like it.

I also have the Kaweko and it's okay too, but I think I prefer the
Daniel Hechter. However I took out the cartridge and followed
Nathan's tip to make the Kaweko into an eyedropper that holds a lot
of ink and will write for months between fillings.

I tried that and mine developed some leakage between the clear plastic
of the section and the black plastic that is the housing for the point
assembly and cartridge holder. I haven't had time to try to remedy
this yet. I liked it otherwise.

Use a little bees wax from a hobby shop on the threads, it WON'T leak then....
Also, as the days have become colder - remember to refill them when they become
3/4ths empty...as the air expands and contracts in eyedroppers with greater
force in winter months.

Noodler's Black is particularly good with these as it was made to strongly
repel polymers - and this gives it a lubricating effect in the kaweco ink ball
for a super smooth yet extremely permanent line. (shamelessly, but truthfully
touting..... ;-)

Old December 4th 04, 05:58 AM
Tim McNamara

nky (Scaupaug1) writes:

(Nancy Handy) writes:

KCat wrote:

I also have the Kaweko and it's okay too, but I think I prefer the
Daniel Hechter. However I took out the cartridge and followed
Nathan's tip to make the Kaweko into an eyedropper that holds a
lot of ink and will write for months between fillings.

I tried that and mine developed some leakage between the clear
plastic of the section and the black plastic that is the housing for
the point assembly and cartridge holder. I haven't had time to try
to remedy this yet. I liked it otherwise.

Use a little bees wax from a hobby shop on the threads, it WON'T
leak then....

I did that and have no leakage between the barrel and the section.
This is seeping through between the section and the black plastic
insert. I figured I'd just work a little beeswax in there at the
ink-chamber end of the interface between the insert and the section.

Also, as the days have become colder - remember to refill them when
they become 3/4ths empty...as the air expands and contracts in
eyedroppers with greater force in winter months.

A good point!

Noodler's Black is particularly good with these as it was made to
strongly repel polymers - and this gives it a lubricating effect in
the kaweco ink ball for a super smooth yet extremely permanent
line. (shamelessly, but truthfully touting..... ;-)

This is a combination that writes very nicely. OTOH ink flow seems a
little inconsistent in my pens with plastic feeds, but works very well
in pens with hard rubber feeds.
Old December 5th 04, 10:33 AM
Scaupaug1

I did that and have no leakage between the barrel and the section.
This is seeping through between the section and the black plastic
insert. I figured I'd just work a little beeswax in there at the
ink-chamber end of the interface between the insert and the section.

That part can be pulled out gently and coated with wax.

Noodler's Black is particularly good with these as it was made to
strongly repel polymers - and this gives it a lubricating effect in
the kaweco ink ball for a super smooth yet extremely permanent
line. (shamelessly, but truthfully touting..... ;-)

This is a combination that writes very nicely. OTOH ink flow seems a
little inconsistent in my pens with plastic feeds, but works very well
in pens with hard rubber feeds.

If a plastic feed is ever heated or loses its acid etching done at the factory,
it can become a hard starter. I won't go into how acid etching is done by an
individual though, as it could potentially be dangerous. However, that is how
a plastic feed can work well with any ink...a well etched feed. Pilot feeds
seem to be the best plastic feeds, with extremely thorough etching when viewed
under a microscope.