Numismatist on owning counterfeits

Old January 2nd 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

Default Numismatist on owning counterfeits

On Jan 1, 12:48�am, Stujoe wrote:
On Dec 25, 9:24�am, Anka wrote:

Greetings, Stujoe! �Merry Christmas!

(Still in the service? �I am retiring on January 1st after 38 years &
7 months with the DoD.)

And a Happy New Year to you!

And congrats on the retirement! They got 20 years and about 2 weeks
out of me. � The deployments just got to be too much. Now I work at
a VA hospital...going for my next 20.

Good for you! Nice hearing from you again.

~Anka
Old January 4th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Dec 25 2009, 8:14 pm, Anka wrote:
On Dec 25, 1:19 pm, Reid Goldsborough
Jeez (Christmashumor). No wonder things have been so difficult in Iraq
and Afghanistan. Alexander the Great would have subdued things, as he
did before, in relatively short order. But unlike you he didn't sit back
in his cushy office and watch others do the hard work. That was one key
reason why, after he was gone, his generals put his portrait on their
coins, beginning the era of ruler portraiture on Greek coinage. No way
would they have done this if he had just parked himself in front of his
computer!

Two of his generals honored him this way, maybe three, though the jury
is still out with Seleukos. I think he did. Cool coin, Sear 6833, don't
you think?, though you see it on the marketplace today far less than
Lysimachos or Ptolemy tetradrachms depicting Alexander, and it's priced
accordingly. Then there are the equally interesting though less
celebrated Seleukos bronzes, Sear 6852 among others, that may have also
depicted Alexander but whose iconography is also in dispute. There are
just too many disputes in the world today.

AMZ Still clinging intransigently to those tired old notions, I see.
AMZ ~Anka

I could not find Reid Goldsborough's original post. He must have
deleted it, as he has, like Winston Smith, destroyed so much history
from the archives.

Personally, I believe that violence is the last resort of the
incompetent. In a rational world, we would not need militaries. But
we do not live in a rational world, do we? The irony is that Anka
actually assured that Reid Goldsborough got paid when he was in the
Navy. She would have done that even if she knew then what she knows
now. She's the kind of trooper who never leaves anyone behind. ...
which is why when the Blue Angels come to the Cleveland Air Show, they
always fly by the Federal Building.

And as is always required, a relevant numismatic point:
http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotvie...ID=569&Lot=429
or two
http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotvie...cID=582&Lot=72

Huch! I habe dass Reid kein Deutsch liest vergassen.... Schade...
Hoffentlich, traegt der Bild die gebrauchtete Bedeutung.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Diehard civilian"
Old January 4th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Jan 3, 9:53*pm, Mike Marotta wrote:

Personally, I believe that violence is the last resort of the
incompetent.

Makes sense. According to this "thinking," FDR, Lincoln, and
Washington were all incompetent. Classic MM. A grandiose statement
that if probed for more than a second is revealed to be nonsensical.

The irony is that Anka
actually assured that Reid Goldsborough got paid when he was in the
Navy.

Only I was never in the Navy. Or the Army or any other branch of the
armed forces. Came of age years after the Vietnam War draft had ended.
But I have two uncles who served in the Army in the late 50s and early
60s, a father who served in the Merchant Marines just after World War
II, and a grandfather who served in the Army in World War I (and
received a nonfatal gunshot wound). No doubt, if I went back further,
I'd find other ancestors who also fought in wartime. Somehow I don't
think all of them were incompetent either.

More classic MM. Astute research. You must have known Walter Breen. I
just hope you didn't know him too intimately.

And as is always required, a relevant numismatic point:http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotvie...1&AucID=569&Lo...

Yes, very relevant. An ancient counterfeit of an ancient coin. Perfect
commentary ... how? I do have several Alexander the Great tetradrachm
fourrees, talking about owning counterfeits. Very interesting
numismatic history behind these fourrees, don't you think? They speak
volumes about the clash between truth and untruth that's always been a
part of the world of money. You, I understand well, have a different
view about truth. Feel free to share it, if you like. But I fear this
is just another drive-by posting of yours.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old January 5th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

or twohttp://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=325342&AucID=582&Lo...

Huch! �I habe dass Reid kein Deutsch liest vergassen.... Schade....
Hoffentlich, traegt der Bild die gebrauchtete Bedeutung.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Diehard civilian"- Hide quoted text -

I'll miss the air show practices on Thursday before Labor Day,
watching the Blue Angels (or Thunderbirds) fly in from Dayton and land
at Burke or wondering if the C130 transports would ever lift off (they
always did, and on a short runway). You'd swear the FOB would tip
over, there were so many gawking out the windows on the north side of
the building. So here I am, reading RCC and perusing VCoins, drinking
coffee and eating bonbons. ;-)

~Anka
Old January 6th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On Jan 5, 10:07*am, Anka wrote:

I'll miss the air show practices on Thursday before Labor Day,

But did you assure that I got paid when I was in the Navy? (Must have
taken place in a parallel universe.)

Old January 6th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jan 5, 8:42�pm, Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:07�am, Anka wrote:

I'll miss the air show practices on Thursday before Labor Day,

But did you assure that I got paid when I was in the Navy? (Must have
taken place in a parallel universe.)

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

I never said you were in the Navy. I never took you for a Navy man,
either.

~Anka
Old January 6th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Anka wrote:

I never said you were in the Navy. I never took you for a Navy man,
either.

Michael did. Three days ago. Said I was in the Navy. Remember? Jeez, I
know you're retiring, but come on! g I'd love to know what research
Michael did to come up with this fact. Must have channeled old Walter
Breen. Hey, Michael. Account for yourself. Maybe you really do know
something I don't.

Old January 6th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jan 6, 2:51�pm, Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Anka wrote:
I never said you were in the Navy. �I never took you for a Navy man,
either.

Michael did. Three days ago. Said I was in the Navy. Remember? Jeez, I
know you're retiring, but come on! g I'd love to know what research
Michael did to come up with this fact. Must have channeled old Walter
Breen. Hey, Michael. Account for yourself. Maybe you really do know
something I don't.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Yeah, I remember. That's why I said, "I never said you were in the
Navy."

You used to think that Michael and I were one and the same person.
Perhaps you still do. Perhaps that's the reason for your
befuddlement.

~Anka
Old January 6th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Anka wrote:

You used to think that Michael and I were one and the same person.
Perhaps you still do. Perhaps that's the reason for your
befuddlement.

Not used to! I still feel this way. I know it, actually. Not befuddled
at all. There's no way you would come to his defense every time he stuck
his rhetorical foot in his shoe the way you do if you weren't one in the
same. It's totally illogical.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Owning a 1,000 Ounce Silver Bar [email protected] Coins 5 February 2nd 09 09:34 PM
Counterfeits don't look Coins 1 December 22nd 07 09:12 PM
Owning the Coins of Alexander Jorg Lueke Coins 3 November 18th 04 10:37 PM
Die struck counterfeits James McCown Coins 13 October 11th 04 05:01 PM
Counterfeits: What was done Reid Goldsborough Coins 35 August 4th 03 10:25 PM