Inherited Conway Stewart 58 cracked ice & others - cs58 4 email.jpg [0/1]

Old December 15th 04, 05:34 PM
beedub

Default Inherited Conway Stewart 58 cracked ice & others - cs58 4 email.jpg [0/1]

hello all,

Inherited some pens including a Conway Stewart 58 cracked ice.

I've got a mentmore, sheaffer and c-s, all of which are getting new
bulbs and have good mechanisms.I'm debating what to do with the CS, it
seems a lttle scratchy and actually the Mentmore is the nicest/finest
writing one. The CS58 is in remarkable condition, it writes ok now, no
marks on the plastic, metal is A1, one side of nib is ever so slightly
higher than the other. any ideas/suggestions on repair or sell. What is
the best way to sell it? In the pic it looks as if the nib is splayed
but it's not.

All replies to group appreciated,
thanks
Brian

Old December 15th 04, 09:55 PM

On 15-Dec-2004, beedub please_post @newsgroup.here wrote:

The CS58 is in remarkable condition, it writes ok now, no
marks on the plastic, metal is A1, one side of nib is ever so slightly
higher than the other. any ideas/suggestions on repair or sell.

This is not a pen you want to learn nib work on; send it to Richard Binder
for a nib adjustment - around $20 for the adjustment.
http://www.richardspens.com/

Also, from the pic, I can see the section is not seated in the barrel; that
is potentially how the nib got out of alignment, if the nib touched the top
of the cap when the cap was screwed on. You could have a basic restoration
done at the same time as the nib work, for about $30 more.

If you prefer to sell it rather than have it repaired, I'll give you a $75
for it. That is based upon your description and assuming that "metal is A1"
means little or no brassing or corrosion.
Old December 17th 04, 07:21 AM
Free Citizen

"beedub" please_post @newsgroup.here wrote in message
hello all,

Inherited some pens including a Conway Stewart 58 cracked ice.

I've got a mentmore, sheaffer and c-s, all of which are getting new
bulbs and have good mechanisms.I'm debating what to do with the CS, it
seems a lttle scratchy and actually the Mentmore is the nicest/finest
writing one. The CS58 is in remarkable condition, it writes ok now, no
marks on the plastic, metal is A1, one side of nib is ever so slightly
higher than the other. any ideas/suggestions on repair or sell. What is
the best way to sell it? In the pic it looks as if the nib is splayed
but it's not.

All replies to group appreciated,
thanks
Brian

Where is the pic?

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

Old December 17th 04, 07:31 AM
Free Citizen

"Free Citizen" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, I see it in the following thread. I often find that scratchy nibs is
caused by tines misalignment. If you have a magnifying glass with a power of
7 to 15, you can inspect it up close and see if this is the case. Often, a
slight misalignment that you don't see with the naked eye is the cause for
coarseness in nib performance. What I would do is to apply a little pressure
at a time to one of the tines on a stack of paper. Checking it with the
magnifier every time I do that. It usually solves the problem.

Old December 18th 04, 12:11 AM
mp3

My friend has sold one in mint condition for $325 plus shipping about a year
ago.
Assuming the condition of the pen as you describe should be in the
neighborhood of ~$250 +/- $10-$20.
I'm not trying to buy a pen just trying to giive you an idea of the value of
the pen. It's a scarce and very popular pen in cracked ice pattern.

Concerned mp3

Old December 18th 04, 01:53 AM

On 17-Dec-2004, "mp3" wrote:

My friend has sold one in mint condition for $325 plus shipping about a
year
ago.
Assuming the condition of the pen as you describe should be in the
neighborhood of ~$250 +/- $10-$20.
I'm not trying to buy a pen just trying to giive you an idea of the value
of
the pen. It's a scarce and very popular pen in cracked ice pattern.

Concerned mp3

If you prefer to sell it rather than have it repaired, I'll give you a
$75
for it. That is based upon your description and assuming that "metal is

A1"
means little or no brassing or corrosion.

Please send anyone willing to pay that for one, in the condition shown in
the picture, my way. I have three, in better condition, that I have less
than $150 each in and I'd be thrilled to sell for $250 each. On the other
hand, I would happily pay $350 for one that is unused, in box, with price
label. Even more for 60L which looks very similar.

Regardless; the owner and I exchanged messages back-channel and he is
planning to have the nib adjusted, by someone I recommended, and use the
pen. In the end, I did him more of a service than your uninformed,
anecdotal "concern".
Old December 18th 04, 04:25 AM
mp3

It's either you haven't done your homework, or you know just enough to be
dangerous.

. ..

Old December 18th 04, 08:51 AM
Gordon

"L" wrote in message
. ..

On 17-Dec-2004, "mp3" wrote:

[...]

I have to say that I too was somewhat surprised at the offer of $75, which
is ludicrously low, and which I assumed was a poor joke along the lines of
the $25 some other jerk seems to think is amusing. If you want an entirely
objective view of what such a pen is worth, I have in front of me the
auction catalogue for the Tenth London Pen Show 2004 and a CS58 cracked ice
in excellent condition is listed at £200 to £300, approximately $390 to
$580. At that auction I would expect such a pen to at least reach the lower
end of the estimate. At a London pen auction the previous year I saw one
classed as in "very good" condition (otherwise known as crap) sell for £160
($310). Nuff said.
--
Gordon