Another one I can't identify

Old September 3rd 05, 02:12 AM
Captain Infinity

Default Another one I can't identify

Can anyone tell me where this stamp is from?

http://captaininfinity.us/Stamp.jpg

Thanks!

**
Captain Infinity
Old September 3rd 05, 02:56 AM
Rodney

Ahoy Captain!

This issue comes from North Korea,
The 2 Koreas can be distinguished by the first characters on the stamp.
I always read the first character of NK as a "Z over upside down T"
South Koreas has a "Ying and Yang" character in the design.

When I queried these some years ago, I had a more sophisticated
reply from Blair on how to distinguish them, but this was before
I retained replies, so I am unable to pass it on.

HTH

Old September 3rd 05, 03:25 AM
Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time Rodney wrote:

Ahoy Captain!

This issue comes from North Korea,
The 2 Koreas can be distinguished by the first characters on the stamp.
I always read the first character of NK as a "Z over upside down T"
South Koreas has a "Ying and Yang" character in the design.

When I queried these some years ago, I had a more sophisticated
reply from Blair on how to distinguish them, but this was before
I retained replies, so I am unable to pass it on.

HTH

Thanks Rodney!

**
Captain Infinity
Old September 3rd 05, 04:23 AM
Blair (TC)

Howdy Captain:

Further to Rodney's post, here is the posting
that I made in 2003, in reply to his asking
the same question.

Blair
==========================

TC Apr 6 2003, 12:17 am
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
From: TC -
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:06:31 -0500
Subject: Distinguishing North and South Korea

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:27:21 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:
I have not been collecting for very long,
and little tips like these assisted me.
For any Juniors in the group.

South Korea has an "eclipsed sun" in the insignia
(see top right corner of the enclosed stamp)

North Korea has a "K" tipped on it's side
and can be seen bottom rhs corner sitting
on top of a "T"

This stamp typifies me really,
however I have yet to be cancelled.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=11

Rod :

Other points of difference.
North Korea:
often has DPR Korea or DPRK on it.
I believe has 4 korean characters in name

South Korea
often has the Ying an Yang sign (top left
character on your stamp and inscribed
Republic of Korea.

Now you only have to worry about
Empire of Korea issues. ;-)

Blair

Old September 3rd 05, 11:46 AM
Edward Locke

Captain Infinity wrote:

Can anyone tell me where this stamp is from?

http://captaininfinity.us/Stamp.jpg

Thanks!

**
Captain Infinity

This is Scott #1215. It is part of a set of 9 commemorating the 15th anniversary of the Pyongyang
Zoo. Issued 10 May 1974.
Old September 3rd 05, 07:06 PM
Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time Edward Locke wrote:

Captain Infinity wrote:

Can anyone tell me where this stamp is from?

http://captaininfinity.us/Stamp.jpg

Thanks!

This is Scott #1215. It is part of a set of 9
commemorating the 15th anniversary of the Pyongyang
Zoo. Issued 10 May 1974.

Thank you, that's very interesting. Where do you find such information?
Is there an online resource or catalog I can reference in the future?

Also, does #1215 stand for the whole set or just this stamp? If it's
just this stamp, what are the numbers for the other 8? I think I'll try
to track down the rest of this set.

Thanks for your help.

**
Captain Infinity
Old September 3rd 05, 07:06 PM
Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time Blair (TC) wrote:

Other points of difference.
North Korea:
often has DPR Korea or DPRK on it.
I believe has 4 korean characters in name

South Korea
often has the Ying an Yang sign (top left
character on your stamp and inscribed
Republic of Korea.

Thank you, Blair, that's very helpful.

**
Captain Infinity
Old September 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
Rodney

Most "whole-world" catalogues will list them Captain,

You may search for them on the web on Ebay,
or generally, as they are a "Topical Favourite" you may
try (and keep in your favourites folder) some of the better known
topical Stamp links.
eg under headings as "Zoo Stamps" or if there is a particularly
exotic animal in the set, like Panda, try "Panda Stamps" etc.

Here is the Stanley Gibbons Listings for the set
SGN stands for Stanley Gibbons North Korea.

HTH
SGN1251 (1974) T512 02ch pyong yang zoo [--] leopard cat.jpg
SGN1252 (1974) T512 05ch pyong yang zoo [wi] lynx.JPG
SGN1253 (1974) T512 10ch pyong yang zoo [--] red fox.JPG
SGN1254 (1974) T512 10ch pyong yang zoo [--] wild boar.JPG
SGN1255 (1974) T512 20ch pyong yang zoo [--] dhole.JPG
SGN1256 (1974) T512 40ch pyong yang zoo [0m1] brown bear.jpg
SGN1257 (1974) T512 60ch pyong yang zoo [--] leopard.jpg
SGN1258 (1974) T512 70ch pyong yang zoo [--] tiger.JPG
SGN1259 (1974) T512 90ch pyong yang zoo [--] lion.JPG

Old September 4th 05, 04:29 AM
Edward Locke

Captain Infinity wrote:

Can anyone tell me where this stamp is from?

http://captaininfinity.us/Stamp.jpg

Thanks!

This is Scott #1215. It is part of a set of 9
commemorating the 15th anniversary of the Pyongyang
Zoo. Issued 10 May 1974.

Thank you, that's very interesting. Where do you find such information?
Is there an online resource or catalog I can reference in the future?

Also, does #1215 stand for the whole set or just this stamp? If it's
just this stamp, what are the numbers for the other 8? I think I'll try
to track down the rest of this set.

Thanks for your help.

**
Captain Infinity

The entire set is #s 1214-22, with a souvenir sheet #1223.

Scott #s are from the Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog, which is widely used in the USA. Amazon
sells them.

Since you asked:
Here's a link for the CD-ROM version:
http://spacestamps.amhosting.com/cgi... Id=0894873628

|---------------------------------------------------|
| Edward A. Locke |
| |

Old September 16th 05, 12:12 PM
Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time Edward Locke wrote:

This is Scott #1215. It is part of a set of 9
commemorating the 15th anniversary of the Pyongyang
Zoo. Issued 10 May 1974.

Thank you, that's very interesting. Where do you find such information?
Is there an online resource or catalog I can reference in the future?

Also, does #1215 stand for the whole set or just this stamp? If it's
just this stamp, what are the numbers for the other 8? I think I'll try
to track down the rest of this set.

Thanks for your help.

The entire set is #s 1214-22, with a souvenir sheet #1223.

Thank again for your help, Edward. With this information I was able to
track down and buy the rest of the set (but not the souvenir sheet,
unfortunately.)

**
Captain Infinity