(RCSD) A Question To The Newsgroup About A Freebie Stamp Project Idea

Old August 27th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) A Question To The Newsgroup About A Freebie Stamp Project Idea

Hi -

I have an idea that I want to toss around some. 'Twas thinking about
this while sorting out some sordid and sundry items.

I have sorted out 2 distinct groups of stamps, mostly all cleaned up
and not heavily damaged items remain in these 2 areas.

The first area is the off paper, 95% un-damaged goodies that I usually
send out. The second are is a combination of on-paper, definitives,
some commems and oddball stuff that I'm not too sure the beginning
collector may see as exciting.

We all have discussed the first group heavily, but I was thinking
about setting up a 3rd option for people requesting stamps.

1) 100+ U.S., as originally planned
2) 100+ W.W., as originally planned

3) A few ounces (or more) of mixed goodies from the second group. I
have spent a lot of time tossing out the trash (for another message)
and the remainder are about 85% clean.

What would you all think about this? Is it a good option? How much
would you offer, in comparison to #1 and #2 above? Postage may be a
little higher, but this would pass on stamps that may probably sit
around for years.

For the seasoned collector, there would be varieties, booklet singles,
coils, pairs, commems, etc., etc. - but for the beginner, they may
seem a bit boring? I dunno...

Let me know what you think, because this was an original RCSD idea
"back in the day".

Tracy
Old August 27th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 27, 12:07 pm, wrote:

For the seasoned collector, there would be varieties, booklet singles, coils, pairs, commems, etc., etc. - but for the beginner, they may seem a bit boring? I dunno...

It may be, but if you offer the choice, then you are not
obligated.
Offer it as a WW"Lucky dip" selection perhaps.

I recently took a huge box of junk at auction, just to
get a few Perfins I was missing.
A pillow case of "on piece " junk surrendered
up 3 cinderellas (TB seals) franked on piece,
I was tickled pink.

Old August 27th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:42:01 -0700, Rod
wrote:

On Aug 27, 12:07 pm, wrote:

For the seasoned collector, there would be varieties, booklet singles, coils, pairs, commems, etc., etc. - but for the beginner, they may seem a bit boring? I dunno...

It may be, but if you offer the choice, then you are not
obligated. Offer it as a WW"Lucky dip" selection perhaps.

Hmmm... I could always "spice it up" with a few better items. Kind
of like the Harris grab bags we used to be able to by at Woolworth's
and 5 & dime stores. Not saying that those bags had any real good
stuff, but back then, anything was good!

I recently took a huge box of junk at auction, just to
get a few Perfins I was missing.
A pillow case of "on piece " junk surrendered
up 3 cinderellas (TB seals) franked on piece,
I was tickled pink.

I hear that. Honing up on my Canada stuff. :^) It is a lot of work,
but it is also serving to help me literally focus (eyesight) on the
task at hand. I have to keep shifting and focusing.

Anyway, thanx for the support.

Tracy
Old August 30th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

General collectors would be glad to rummage through anything. I always
find the search much more interesting than the find !

Perhaps you could start a thread - "Lucky Dip Exchange" - your junk
for my junk !
If only domestic postage rates are involved it has to be worth a throw
- international postage makes it an expensive pastime though. I have
had parcels of junk before and among all the dross I have always found
some unconsidered trifle which makes it worthwhile. To be sure not all
batches of "junk" are the same, but I have never had anything which is
a complete waste of time.

Malcolm

Old August 30th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:23:05 -0700, malcolm
wrote:

General collectors would be glad to rummage through anything. I always
find the search much more interesting than the find !

Absolutely. My biggest find, to date, was an absolute junk box with 3
stamps that are in decent condition, totally $1000 CV. One was a
Hawaii Inter island, which I may get expertised. A little dirty, but
collectible to be sure.

Perhaps you could start a thread - "Lucky Dip Exchange" - your junk
for my junk !

Heh! In a sense, it may be "junk", but at least it's cleaner "junk".
:^) Actually, there may be many different varieties found therein. A
veritable trove of flyspecking.

If only domestic postage rates are involved it has to be worth a throw
- international postage makes it an expensive pastime though.

That seems to be the ONLY catch here. If this were to be a regular
occurrence, postage will soar to double / three times what it is now
for a #10 envelope.

I have
had parcels of junk before and among all the dross I have always found
some unconsidered trifle which makes it worthwhile. To be sure not all
batches of "junk" are the same, but I have never had anything which is
a complete waste of time.

Sorting has been a great way for my eyes to work on adjusting better -
together - than other activities. Right now, they're different far
away and also different close up. I'll never get my 20 / 20 back,
even with corrective measures.

The only glasses that work about right are my computer glasses. I see
"about the same" and truly worked hard on a prescription for those.
Looking at stamps, however, I have to take them off and constantly
re-focus.

I've also noticed that, for example, with my Belgian RR stamps, that
one batch may be totally different from another for cancels, even
though the stamps are common. This makes the chase even better.

I have been keeping booklet pane singles and other varieties when I
find them with decent margins or corner positions. They'll never
exceed minimal CV, but they may look kind of cool to recreate a small
pane, albeit without plating.

Precancels, perfins, perforation varieties are always cool items.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I still have to finalize how
I'd do this.

Tracy