FA: 1c NR Sealed Cheerios Box. $10K Dollar?

Old November 12th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mrcoin

Default FA: 1c NR Sealed Cheerios Box. $10K Dollar?

STARTING AT 1c NO RESERVE Just listed on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...NEWLIST#LIS T

POSSIBLY A 2000 FIRST STRIKE MILLENNIUM CHEERIOS CENT AND RARE DOLLAR
IN ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOX AS ISSUED
There will be a Cheerios Cent in this box and possibly a rare Cheerios
Dollar
I have not scaned, weighed, X-rayed or Metal detected this box and DO
NOT know what is inside.
I am the original owner of this box. I purchased it fresh off the
shelf back in the year it was sold.
As reported in the latest issue of Coin World November 12, 2007, a
Cheerios dollar brought $9,999.00 in a recent Ebay sale and on
recently sold for $11,500 in a Heritage Auction.
Coin World reported that only 5,500 dollars were inserted in the
boxes. Also only 26 have surfaced for certifatcation

Michael R
ANA 1173222
Ebay user name mrae7

Old November 12th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:10:23 -0800, mrcoin wrote:

STARTING AT 1c NO RESERVE Just listed on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...NEWLIST#LIS T

POSSIBLY A 2000 FIRST STRIKE MILLENNIUM CHEERIOS CENT AND RARE DOLLAR
IN ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOX AS ISSUED
There will be a Cheerios Cent in this box and possibly a rare Cheerios
Dollar
I have not scaned, weighed, X-rayed or Metal detected this box and DO
NOT know what is inside.
I am the original owner of this box. I purchased it fresh off the
shelf back in the year it was sold.
As reported in the latest issue of Coin World November 12, 2007, a
Cheerios dollar brought $9,999.00 in a recent Ebay sale and on
recently sold for $11,500 in a Heritage Auction.
Coin World reported that only 5,500 dollars were inserted in the
boxes. Also only 26 have surfaced for certifatcation

Not that I really plan on bidding, but if someone did find a
certificate for 100 Golden Dollars, wouldn't it be too late to claim
the prize? Most contests have a dealine for claiming prizes.
Old November 12th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Nov 11, 9:23 pm, Jon Purkey wrote:

Not that I really plan on bidding, but if someone did find a
certificate for 100 Golden Dollars, wouldn't it be too late to claim
the prize? Most contests have a dealine for claiming prizes.- Hide quoted text -

Uh I think the poster is selling the possibility of getting a rare die
variety of Sac dollar in the box, not the certificate.

Old November 13th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article om,
says...
STARTING AT 1c NO RESERVE Just listed on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...NEWLIST#LIS T

POSSIBLY A 2000 FIRST STRIKE MILLENNIUM CHEERIOS CENT AND RARE DOLLAR
IN ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOX AS ISSUED
There will be a Cheerios Cent in this box and possibly a rare Cheerios
Dollar

I have not scaned, weighed, X-rayed or Metal detected this box and DO
NOT know what is inside.

And in what way can we confirm that?

I am the original owner of this box. I purchased it fresh off the
shelf back in the year it was sold.

And in what way can we confirm that?

As reported in the latest issue of Coin World November 12, 2007, a
Cheerios dollar brought $9,999.00 in a recent Ebay sale and on
recently sold for $11,500 in a Heritage Auction.

For some reason, the phrase, "bigger fool" just flitted like a
butterfly, through my young, naive little mind.

Also, I note that you refer to "a Cheerios dollar" which means
the actual coin. NOT a sealed box which MIGHT contain that coin.

Coin World reported that only 5,500 dollars were inserted in the
boxes. Also only 26 have surfaced for certifatcation

This seems intended to suggest that the offer involves a very
rare coin, with the attendant high value. But... if "only 5,500"
boxes were winners, then that suggests that the chance of any
random box being a winner is quite low.

And I wonder how many of the boxes with the valuable items were
tossed in the trash, or maybe returned to the manufacturer, when
the cereal expired? My guess is that the company had a list of
unit serial numbers for the winners, and could find the coins in
spoilage-based returns.

And how many were tossed by ignorant consumers?

And how many of the valuable coins were tossed into "junk"
drawers, next to old 1980s video arcade tokens?

And how many boxes were bought for lots of money, only to yield a
lowly consolation prize (which I recall is a regular cent, worth
face)?

And how many boxes have been bought, and NOT opened, still
holding out hope, to NOT be disappointed?

And, more oddly, how do you submit one of those boxes for
"certification"? I mean, after it is already torn open, then
nobody can prove what was or wasn't in it originally. Or perhaps
the "certification" just confirms that, yes indeed, it is an
UNopened cereal box, that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have anything
valuable inside.

I have seen this item offered for sale before. And it strikes me
as being exactly like selling some random lottery ticket that
hasn't been scratched off yet.

--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com/
Old November 13th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Nov 11, 9:10 pm, mrcoin wrote:

Coin World reported that only 5,500 dollars were inserted in the
boxes. Also only 26 have surfaced for certifatcation

Wonder how many of those 5500 we
a) never discovered and returned to the company
b) put into circulation
c) sitting in a drawer or change jar somewhere with the owner unaware
of the value

Old November 13th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

wrote in message

And in what way can we confirm that?

You can confirm that by the integrity of the person selling the item. I
happen to know Mike very well and he is a person of integrity.

Bob

Old November 14th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:27:26 -0800, Usenet2007 THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article om,
says...

I have not scaned, weighed, X-rayed or Metal detected this box and DO
NOT know what is inside.

And in what way can we confirm that?

I think it's completely safe and reasonable to expect that this has been
somehow imaged and if you open it, you'll have a nice (maybe) shiny
penny for your troubles. The profit/risk of not scanning a potentially
valuable item is just not making that claim credible.

As reported in the latest issue of Coin World November 12, 2007, a
Cheerios dollar brought $9,999.00 in a recent Ebay sale and on
recently sold for $11,500 in a Heritage Auction.

For some reason, the phrase, "bigger fool" just flitted like a
butterfly, through my young, naive little mind.

You're jaded and cynical, you know that? (I had exactly the same
thought although my phrase was somewhat more...excretory...)

Coin World reported that only 5,500 dollars were inserted in the
boxes. Also only 26 have surfaced for certifatcation

This seems intended to suggest that the offer involves a very
rare coin, with the attendant high value. But... if "only 5,500"
boxes were winners, then that suggests that the chance of any
random box being a winner is quite low.

Hush now, he's hyping.

And how many boxes have been bought, and NOT opened, still
holding out hope, to NOT be disappointed?

It's like Shroedinger's Cheerio Box, you see. Until you observe the
system, the cat is simultaneously and neither alive, and dead. Maybe.
You're not just bidding on a possibility, you're bidding on a classic
thought experiment. @@L00K!!!!11!!eleventy!!!one@@