Error coin in 2003 Silver Proof Sets??..

Old August 22nd 03, 09:37 PM
Harv

Default Error coin in 2003 Silver Proof Sets??..

One of the advertisers in the August 25rd, 2003 issue of Coin World, the one
with a small picture of the error COA on the cover, one of the big display
ad dealers selling the sets made a reference to a "rumor about an error
coin" in the sets.. does anyone know anything about an error coin, or maybe
he meant to say error COA, or not..

I got my sets in the mail the other day and aside for a couple of little
gray 1/8" long horizontal marks on one of the Kennedy Halves, and a couple
of little marks on the fat rim of one of the Brass Bucks, and the usual dead
bugs, pieces of knockwurst, and a booger or two, they look fine, and the COA
is the corrected one not the original LQQK LQQK RARE!! error one.. The coins
in both sets are all PCGS PR69 DCAM, or ICG PR70 DCAM, or ACG PR112 DCAM

So I don't know what kind of error coin that dealer is rumoring about, or if
it's just intentionally misworded hype to get people to buy sets from him
for a dollar more than The Mint charges..

Harv

Old August 22nd 03, 09:43 PM

Harv,

I received my CW in the mail today and there was nothing mentioned of an
error coin. They did say the COA's had the wrong compositions and
weights on two of the coins.

But that has all been fixed now. They are sending the sets out with
only the correct COA's in them and for us, who received the wrong COA's,
we should be receiving the new COA's within 2 weeks.

bob

Old August 22nd 03, 09:55 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Harv wrote:

One of the advertisers in the August 25rd, 2003 issue of Coin World, the one
with a small picture of the error COA on the cover, one of the big display
ad dealers selling the sets made a reference to a "rumor about an error
coin" in the sets.. does anyone know anything about an error coin, or maybe
he meant to say error COA, or not..

I got my sets in the mail the other day and aside for a couple of little
gray 1/8" long horizontal marks on one of the Kennedy Halves, and a couple
of little marks on the fat rim of one of the Brass Bucks, and the usual dead
bugs, pieces of knockwurst, and a booger or two, they look fine, and the COA
is the corrected one not the original LQQK LQQK RARE!! error one.. The coins
in both sets are all PCGS PR69 DCAM, or ICG PR70 DCAM, or ACG PR112 DCAM
..

So I don't know what kind of error coin that dealer is rumoring about, or if
it's just intentionally misworded hype to get people to buy sets from him
for a dollar more than The Mint charges..

Harv

I thought someone posted here about a Jeff die rotation in a Silver
Proof. Maybe my rememberer is mumbling.

Alan
'oh yea, him'
Old August 23rd 03, 03:54 PM
Harv

wrote in message
Harv,

I received my CW in the mail today and there was nothing mentioned of an
error coin. They did say the COA's had the wrong compositions and
weights on two of the coins.

But that has all been fixed now. They are sending the sets out with
only the correct COA's in them and for us, who received the wrong COA's,
we should be receiving the new COA's within 2 weeks.

bob

The mention of an error coin was in one of the big display ad dealer's ads,
not in the cover story.. the dealer, I dunno, Paul Sims or one of that ilk,
with a big spread has 2003 Silver Proof Sets for $32.95 and in the little
box in his big ad makes mention of a "rumor of an error coin" in the Sets..
comb through it, you'll find it.. it's on a right hand page..

I got my sets the other day. I ordered two days after ordering opened and
they were instantly backordered and shipped about a week later, and I got
the corrected COAs in both of them. Then someone here mentioned this error
coin cold be a rotated reverse Jefferson Nickel so I checked my sets and yes
one of them is slightly rotated but that's because it's stuck into the
cardboard holder insert thingy slightly rotated :-/ ..

Actually, with a Jefferson Nickel, it's hard to tell exactly where true
horizontal is on the obverse since there aren't any horizontal lines on the
obverse at all.. and the legends run down both sides of Tom's bust, curved,
just inside the rim. On some other coins, where the year runs horizontally,
like, uhh.. all the others .. it's easy to orient the coin "straight up"
and then flip them over and see if the reverse is rotated at all..

Harv

Old August 23rd 03, 05:42 PM
WinWinscenario

The mention of an error coin was in one of the big display ad dealer's ads,
not in the cover story.

When the only mention of a "possible" error coin is in dealer hype--not in any
editorial source anywhere--you can take
it for granted it is just salesmanship, not
fact.

You could make the same claim--
"rumors" about a "possible" error--about
any US Mint product. Doesn't make it
true.

Regards,
Tom