Delurk and a question

Old August 2nd 03, 06:46 AM
Kurt O

Default Delurk and a question

To the good folks of alt.collecting.pens-pencils:

I am a regular on alt.smokers.pipes, and one of my compatriots suggested I
try tapping the vast knowledge base here for the answer to a question.

FWIW, my name is Kurt O'Dell and I am a recently unemployed computer
technician in central WV, 33 years old, married, with one child four years
old. Hobbies include pipe smoking g, caving, music, traditional archery,
and shotgunning. I collect in a very limited fashion antique treadle sewing
machines and manual typewriters.

I am trying to find a reasonably-priced fountain pen, preferably of recent
manufacture, capable of Copperplate script. I have some Calligraphy nibs
and the like, but carrying around an inkwell is quite understandably not
possible for most. Suggestions?

I apologize in advance for any breach of group etiquette, as well as
extending a sincere thanks to any who respond for this request for
assistance.

All the best,

Kurt O
(remove DELETETHIS to respond by e-mail)

Old August 2nd 03, 12:22 PM
so what

traditional archery,

Archery?!! Love it!! Although I have not done any archery since you were about
15, sure would like to get back into it.

Anyhow, you can get some calligraphy sets (made by Sheaffer or Parker) which
take FP ink cartridges. I have seen such sets at office supply stores. Also,
try www.joon.com, or www.airlineintl.com, or www.fountainpenhospital.com.

Others here will have more suggestions. I think there are some professional
calligraphers here as well.

Ouch, sorry about the job situation, hope things improve soon.

satrap

Old August 2nd 03, 01:06 PM
Giovanni Abrate

Try the FILCAO Calligraphy set, a quality pen that comes with four german
calligraphy nibs PLUS a regular F nib. Nice lacquered brass pen, made in
Italy.
Priced at 55 bucks for the set.
Available from any of these retailers:
http://www.tryphon.it/pens/links.htm
I think you'll like it.
Giovanni

"

Old August 2nd 03, 03:13 PM
PENDEMONIUM

Kurt - The only modern pen that comes reasonable close to copperplate
quality writing would be the Namiki Falcon in a fine point, better yet
ground to an extra fine point, it has reasonable flexibility.

You might consider some vintage pens that will come closer and offer
more flexibility in order to produce the thick and thin controlled
copperplate lines ... but you'll have to inquite about specifics with
the sellers of vintage pens, not all vintage have flex, nibs vary
greatly. Look for ultra flexxy, extra fine nibs, those will usually be
suitable for copperplate.

The Sheaffer, Parker, Filcao and other calligraphy sets mentioned are
all great sets, but they're for italic calligraphy and at the total
opposite end of the spectrum of what you need for copperplate. They
have straight cut nibs and even the finest widths would still be far too
wide for copperplate.

Best Regards, Sam

Kurt O wrote: in part

Old August 3rd 03, 01:29 AM
14:30

"Kurt O" wrote in message
[...]

Hiya, Kurt, welcom to a.c.p.p. I've been here awhile, and at ASP for a
little while also- as I'm sure you've seen from the recent uproar there. In
any case, I'd love to know where/how you picked up copperplate. I've been
trying to learn it for awhile, without much luck.
~14:30

Old August 3rd 03, 07:00 PM
DovR

ASP ??

recent uproar. Another pen group...

Old August 3rd 03, 07:44 PM
14:30

"DovR" wrote in message
ASP ??

recent uproar. Another pen group...

Hiya, Kurt, welcom to a.c.p.p. I've been here awhile, and at ASP for a
little while also- as I'm sure you've seen from the recent uproar there.

In
any case, I'd love to know where/how you picked up copperplate. I've

been
trying to learn it for awhile, without much luck.
~14:30

alt.smokers.pipes
~14:30

Old August 3rd 03, 10:01 PM
Kurt O

alt.smokers.pipes
~14:30

ASP - A great group of folks. Things get a bit weird every year about the
time of the BIG Chicago show. Happens like clockwork. Tensions run high,
flame wars erupt, then things settle back down in short order. Generally
very civilized, by most standards.

Kurt O

BTW, thanks to all who responded. I am still searching but am now armed
with sufficient information to make some buying decisions.

With much gratitude,

Kurt O

Old August 4th 03, 08:04 AM
Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport

The local tobacconist makes a blend called "Yellow Jacket" that really
should be on a list of illicit drugs. Cavendish cased with molasses
and honey, some latakia, bright gold ribbons of Virgina, and a deep,
mellow buzz. Pot never did much for me, but this stuff will get me
sideways in a good, floating-on-air sort of way. It burns kind of hot
in my African meerschaum pipe, but is heaven on earth in a big-bowled
briar. Goes extraordinarily well with a bourbon and coke.

Pens and pipes... there's a lot of cross-over there. Is there some
sort of gene that triggers the impulse to smoke pipes and fill pens
with ink as they approach age 30? I hope to god I don't go and join
the Rotarians or something next. Joining the Rosicruscians would be
cool, tho.

~ Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet

Old August 4th 03, 02:04 PM
Kurt O

Pens and pipes... there's a lot of cross-over there. Is there some
sort of gene that triggers the impulse to smoke pipes and fill pens
with ink as they approach age 30? I hope to god I don't go and join
the Rotarians or something next. Joining the Rosicruscians would be
cool, tho.

~ Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet

I think you might have something there. I started smoking a pipe at age 31
and just began an interest in fountain pens at 33. Someone should really
look into this phenomenon, and see if there is a way to spread it like a
virus. seg

BTW, experience on ASP has proven the group you will want to join is most
likely the Masonic Lodge. LOTS of Masons on ASP (Summersville WV #76
AF&AM).

Kurt O