Is there any option to eBay for online auctions?

Old December 8th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Is there any option to eBay for online auctions?

I received a message from eBay in my juno.com account concerning my
supposed failure to honor a transaction. In fact I had no eBay
transactions, neither buying nor selling. I replied to sender, so
informing eBay, using my juno.com email client program. Subsequently
my juno.com account was terminated. I was told "It has come to our
attention that you ..."

In other words, juno.com acted against me on the basis of someone's
words which were not made known to me. I was told to contact their
Legal Department, which has not responded.

Certainly I believe that eBay has made me a third party to a
transaction between two parties not known to me.

David Ames
APS member
Old December 8th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Just a personal observation David.
I regularly receive "failed to honor a transaction" notices,
notices I have won a bid,
notices from my internet provider updating requirements
notices from my bank, and at leat 3 others
that my account needs servicing.
notices to update ebay (I have never bought from ebay)

All scams, each and every one.

I treat all notices as bogus unless advised by snail mail.

Just delete as they arrive.

Even then, I tried opening a Youtube movie the other day regarding
spinning drumsticks, it required I update to a new version
of quik view, I did and received a nasty trojan.

I would suggest you have been scammed.
When you replied to sender or clicked a link, I trust you did
not disclose any account numbers names etc.

HTH

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of
trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is;

Old December 8th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:56:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I received a message from eBay in my juno.com account concerning my
supposed failure to honor a transaction. In fact I had no eBay
transactions, neither buying nor selling. I replied to sender, so
informing eBay, using my juno.com email client program. Subsequently
my juno.com account was terminated. I was told "It has come to our
attention that you ..."

In other words, juno.com acted against me on the basis of someone's
words which were not made known to me. I was told to contact their
Legal Department, which has not responded.

Certainly I believe that eBay has made me a third party to a
transaction between two parties not known to me.

Unlikely. If you have no account - or inactive one - there's no
reason to be worried about eBay.

You do have to be worried that someone may have scammed your
information.

All of those messages *** could *** be sent to
. I have
sent many, many of these messages. Some users have been removed, in
the process of scamming. One was dumb enough to put his own personal
web page out there with a fake log in. He was gone in short order.

Ignore all of these e-mails or forward them.

It does stink that juno thought you were scamming. There are plenty
of free e-mail sites out there.
Old December 8th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Dec 7, 10:21*pm, wrote:
[...]

AOL wouldn't do that. G

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old December 8th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

wrote in message

I received a message from eBay in my juno.com account concerning my
supposed failure to honor a transaction. *In fact I had no eBay
transactions, neither buying nor selling. *I replied to sender, so
informing eBay, using my juno.com email client program. *Subsequently
my juno.com account was terminated. *I was told "It has come to our
attention that you ..."

In other words, juno.com acted against me on the basis of someone's
words which were not made known to me. *I was told to contact their
Legal Department, which has not responded.

Certainly I believe that eBay has made me a third party to a
transaction between two parties not known to me.

David Ames
APS member- Hide quoted text -

Yep, you are a victim of fake crap intended to get you to fall into
their trap.
I receive some of these same things and like Rodney clicked on one
just to see what it was all about. I thought my 4 Spyware/Malware
programs would protect me. Unfortunately they didn't and I got a real
nasty infection which forced my computer guru to dig into his bag of
tricks to rid my computer of the bug.
( $60 fee )

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old December 8th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Dec 7, 7:56*pm, wrote:
I received a message from eBay in my juno.com account concerning my
supposed failure to honor a transaction. *In fact I had no eBay
transactions, neither buying nor selling. *I replied to sender, so
informing eBay, using my juno.com email client program. *Subsequently
my juno.com account was terminated. *I was told "It has come to our
attention that you ..."

In other words, juno.com acted against me on the basis of someone's
words which were not made known to me. *I was told to contact their
Legal Department, which has not responded.

Certainly I believe that eBay has made me a third party to a
transaction between two parties not known to me.

David Ames
APS member

My question stands: whether there is some alternative to eBay's online
auctions.

Let me be more specific and add more detail, as evidently some people
think there was some excuse for eBay and juno.

I received a nastygram from some client of eBay, complaining that I
had failed to deliver merchandise. I have no idea what the
merchandise was, nor who were the parties tio the transaction. I have
no idea whether there was in fact a transaction. I made no inquiries
and I did not enter into correspondence with a person who wanted to
grind his ax against me. It simply did not concern me.

Subsequently I received a complaint from eBay about my supposed
failure to deliver. I responded to eBay -- to the same eBay email
address that accused me. I never had any offer to sell through eBay,
nor any offer to purchase. The problem was eBay's problem, not mine.
But it would appear that eBay took action which resulted in the loss
of my juno.com account. Juno.com offers no explanation, except that

Old December 8th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild

[...]

David--it is almost certain that ALL of the e-mails you received were NOT
from eBay or from a real eBay customer. The "client of eBay" was a fake.
The "complaint from eBay about a failure to deliver" was a fake. Thus when
you responded, the problem was yours, not eBay's as eBay had not ever been
involved. Thus there was no need for an "excuse for eBay," but then again,
they never were involved.

The Juno e-mail may or may not have been a fake also. If you cannot access
your Juno account, then it probably was real.

While none of this should seem to lead to your question about other on-line
auction sites, a European site with a great amount of material is Delcampe.

Stan

Old December 8th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Milco

On Dec 8, 2:56*am, wrote:
I received a message from eBay in my juno.com account concerning my
supposed failure to honor a transaction. *In fact I had no eBay
transactions, neither buying nor selling. *I replied to sender, so
informing eBay, using my juno.com email client program. *Subsequently
my juno.com account was terminated. *I was told "It has come to our
attention that you ..."

In other words, juno.com acted against me on the basis of someone's
words which were not made known to me. *I was told to contact their
Legal Department, which has not responded.

Certainly I believe that eBay has made me a third party to a
transaction between two parties not known to me.

David Ames
APS member

And why You simply didn't ignore this kind of mail, because You know
that nothing in connection with You and eBay existed?!!!!!

When You reply to this mail, one independent software "grabbed" Your
address and used it to spread spam and other "garbage" - normally -
because it was lot-lot of spam from Your "stolen" address delivered to
others accounts, juno.com automatically suspended Your account just to
prevent further "shipment" of this spam.

Your problem is that You RESPOND to someone without checking
"properties" of mail delivered to You.

best regards to all
Chastven Miloje
http://balkanstamp.blogspot.com
Old December 8th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Dec 8, 9:27 am, "Stan Fairchild" wrote:
My question stands: whether there is some alternative to eBay's online
auctions.

Let me be more specific and add more detail, as evidently some people
think there was some excuse for eBay and juno.

Check the eBay message again. Did it say "Hello [Your Real Name]" at
the top, or did it say "Hello eBay User" or "Hello eBay Community
Member" or something of the sort? If it said anything other than the
first, it is certainly a form of fraud called "phishing" in which
worrisome messages are sent to innocents in order to get them to
divulge sensitive information.

If the cancellation of your Juno account has happened (I'm not being
condescending, but you've checked if you can sign in, and that the
Juno message wasn't more phishing, right?) it's probably something you
can challenge on the grounds of ignorance if you get someone with a
pulse to read your email at Juno. Thing is, though, Juno is really
lousy decade-old technology. Gmail is free and a trillion times
better. I'll send you an invitation by email.

As for other auction sites, am I right in understanding that you
weren't using eBay in the first place? But no matter. StampWants and
Delcampe are two others. SW is American with a profound North
American bias. Delcampe is more cosmopolitan, with lots of languages
and differing terms and conditions, and much more "wild west". But
because it's so cheap to sell on D*, a lot of people sell stuff for,
like, three euro-cents, so you can pick up stuff to fill holes for
nothing. If you're American, you may now have trouble signing up for
the preferred payment system, which is MoneyBookers, due to new MB
restrictions regarding their facilitation of wagering by US nationals.

--
Joshua McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old December 9th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on
12/08/2008
at 10:16 AM, Milco said:

When You reply to this mail, one independent software "grabbed" Your
address and used it to spread spam and other "garbage" - normally -
because it was lot-lot of spam from Your "stolen" address delivered to
others accounts, juno.com automatically suspended Your account just to
prevent further "shipment" of this spam.

Odd that they would email him in the first place, to steal his email
address, isn't it?

You don't even need a valid sender's email address to send any email. I can
send an email now from " and the mail system would be
quite happy with it. So, I'm not so sure why anyone, particularly spammers,
would go to such trouble. I'm sure there is some logic behind it,
somewhere.

I'd be more worried about clicking on the email's links and logging into
something. If they get access to his eBay account, or worse, paypal,
there's more trouble brewing than being kicked off of juno.

Would they be clever enough to shut down his email access so as to have more
time with a hacked account? It's hard to tell you've been hacked if you
don't have internet access. But then, he's posting here, so that isn't the
issue.

Nick