Anybody Bought Real "Unsearched" Wheaties? Alan, Anybody?

Old July 28th 03, 07:59 PM
Craton

Default Anybody Bought Real "Unsearched" Wheaties? Alan, Anybody?

MIckey wrote:

I would like to buy some bulk unsearched wheats for our YN "Young
Numismatic" programs at our club. Have any of you ever bought any bulk
wheaties from a seller that you felt like were really "unsearched?" I
bought a couple of half pound packages as a raw "newbie" when I was
"Collecting Everything". What I bought was pretty much all 50's and a
few 40s. All were no better than VG, most just G .
Thanks in advance.

I don't think that there is such a thing. The wheaties may be unsearched
by the current seller but I'm sure that a previous owner or ownerS had
searched through them many times over!

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old July 28th 03, 08:50 PM
Craton

I tend to agree, at least insofar as date/mm and gross errors are concerned.

But I'd like to make two points.

1. It depends on what you are looking for.
The Cherrypicker's Guide sells well for a reason. Variety is the spice
of life! When I first came to the newsgroup many people told me that
searching currently circulating rolls was a waste...modern mint figures
are enormous, everything worth finding has been found, blah blah blah.
I've found silver nickels, an Indian Head, steel cents, about 100 wheat
cents, BU rolls that are 40+ years old, cuds, countermarks, octagonal
cents, foreign coins, 1960 small dates, silver dimes, diebreaks,
struckthroughs, and a Lincoln Type 2 Reverse from each of the
acknowledged years, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Lots of this stuff interests
no one but myself, some of it is neat, some has value. Better yet, I'm
learning with each roll and growing in the hobby! My ability to grade
is improved, and I've noticed things, like the fins on the 1973-D cents
that have increased my enjoyment.

Very true! I have yet to get into varieties much. I have been able to
cherry a few but it has always been by accident. If I set out to search
all of my wheaties for varieties, I'd go NUTZZ! How long to you think it
would take to scope 15K or so lincolns with a loupe?

Old July 28th 03, 08:58 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Craton wrote:

[...]

Well, I think I'm cooking when I can do $3.50 a day...that's 7 rolls.
It takes me an average of three days to do $5, but it's an on-the-fly
deal. ;-) For instance, today its raining so I can stop by the 'grading
table' more frequently.

If my methods (such as they are) were applied to your hoard (massive as
it is) I should be able to mine that vein in 43 days. ;-)

Alan
'with a Visine drip'
Old July 30th 03, 01:35 AM
Linda

Have I bought a fake? Mikey Autographs 5 December 7th 04 06:52 PM
The real Satuday, 4/10/04! Joe Autographs 0 April 10th 04 04:39 PM
SuCCeSSeS - TTM / BOUGHT Todd F. Autographs 0 February 10th 04 09:17 AM
More ST Cards with 1 cent opening bids :) Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 February 3rd 04 09:29 PM
the REAL FREAKFIELD says: Freakfield 8 Track Tapes 0 August 12th 03 05:37 AM