Kudos to Scott Catalog

Old December 9th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Kudos to Scott Catalog

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:18:36 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:51:05 -0800 (PST), Joshua McGee
wrote:

Haven't seen the latest scutt, but if you collect Canada, do you need only
the "C" volume, or all so that you get PEI, Newfoundland, etc?

No, that's all vol 2. All Australian states are in vol 1 (along with
US, Austria, and Belgium, which makes it a simply stellar volume), all
Germany and India in vol 3. China gets spread out a bit IIRC (someone
correct this if I'm off.)

Now, tell me why scutt's CDs are so high priced? Cost to make is 5% of the
catalogue, yet they sell for the same $$$$$ can you say "RIPOFF" ?

I think the CDs/DVDs are fairly priced for the work that goes into
them. I hate the DRM they built in, especially now that it means I
cannot use them in Linux, so until that is settled (or I switch OSs)
2007 will be my last copy. The print versions are MASSIVELY
underpriced, IMO, and if they were priced with attention to the cost
to the environment, etc., in their production, it might urge more
people to buy the discs (or to download them, if Amos put that into
effect!)

What would even be nicer is if they had a country only service.
Wazzat, you say? Exactly what some people are doing on eBay - selling

... and quite clearly violating Scutt's Copyrights!

Rut roh!

country pages. Takes the business away from the hawkers and may bring
in more revenue, especially if the pages could be downloaded.

But then, when a business fails to service its customer's needs, some one
will do it - with loss to the original business!

Exactamundo... Supply and demand.
Old December 9th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

In scutt's case, this means buying the full 'book' just to get a single
country, often buying several 'books' because they've spread out the
sub-divisions.

Scott, not scutt, provided CD's several years ago for a few individual
countries. Apparently they didn't sell very well as Scott has not
continued to issue them.

Bill
Old December 10th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:06:54 GMT, Bill Sharpe
wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

In scutt's case, this means buying the full 'book' just to get a single
country, often buying several 'books' because they've spread out the
sub-divisions.

Scott, not scutt, provided CD's several years ago for a few individual
countries. Apparently they didn't sell very well as Scott has not
continued to issue them.

That said, however, there is still a market for less-than-full
catalogs. If Scott had a mechanism in place as I mentioned recently,
they may be able to work a niche market.

The returns may not be heavy, but it may return some collectors to the
fold over time.
Old December 10th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
snip
The 'cost' of the Scutt CD's is miniscule to the cost of the paper books
and
there's no need - other than greed - for their current prices.

Let's extrapolate this bright idea (reductio ad absurdum).

The cost of any book on CD is minuscule to the cost of its paper version.
Therefore only greed is the reason why books on CDs aren't spread for more
or less nothing.

A scut argumentation...

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old December 11th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:56:36 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Bill Sharpe found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

In scutt's case, this means buying the full 'book' just to get a single
country, often buying several 'books' because they've spread out the
sub-divisions.

Scott, not scutt, provided CD's several years ago for a few individual
countries. Apparently they didn't sell very well as Scott has not
continued to issue them.

The point still is that with digital age being upoin us, Scutt could sell
the basic catalog, then sell much less costly UPDATES and the user wouldn't
for out the same overpriced charges for the CD's.

It was better when the British Commowealth was grouped, not spread across
all volumes. But then Scutt sold many more of Volume 1 and saw a means to
force purchase of the rest!

The 'cost' of the Scutt CD's is miniscule to the cost of the paper books and
there's no need - other than greed - for their current prices.

Watch out for that word - greed.
Old December 19th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Victor Manta wrote:
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
snip
The 'cost' of the Scutt CD's is miniscule to the cost of the paper books
and
there's no need - other than greed - for their current prices.

Let's extrapolate this bright idea (reductio ad absurdum).

The cost of any book on CD is minuscule to the cost of its paper version.
Therefore only greed is the reason why books on CDs aren't spread for more
or less nothing.

A scut argumentation...

If the book sells for $75 and the CD sells for $5, who would buy the
book, other than those without computers?

Amos Publications, the parent company, does have the right idea with
their periodicals. The online versions of Scott Stamp Monthly and Linn's
Stamp News are finally available without extra charge to print
subscribers. And an online only subscription to Linn's is available for
much less than the hard copy edition.

Bill

Old January 9th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Ralphael1"
How they maintain a fairly good listing of many Nations new stamp
issues is mind boggling,

Perhaps because the US apparently prints 65% of the world's jam jar labels?
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QphwQ8...eature=related

Old January 9th 09, 10:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jan 8, 10:28*pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Ralphael1"

How they maintain a fairly good listing of many Nations new stamp
issues is mind boggling,

Perhaps because the US apparently prints 65% of the world's jam jar labels?http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QphwQ8...eature=related

Rodney, I don't have a clue what this is about because my computer
sound is so bad. I can blast the roof off the house therefore volume
is not the problem. My sound is always muted because the noise that
comes out is meaningless to me.

In regard to the subject line: I have to take back some of the kudos I
awarded to Scott. They do list my Palm Island stamp but they do the
sister island of Mustique.

Ralph