Kudos to Scott Catalog

Old December 7th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

Default Kudos to Scott Catalog

Haven't seen the latest scutt, but if you collect Canada, do you need only
the "C" volume, or all so that you get PEI, Newfoundland, etc?

No, that's all vol 2. All Australian states are in vol 1 (along with
US, Austria, and Belgium, which makes it a simply stellar volume), all
Germany and India in vol 3. China gets spread out a bit IIRC (someone
correct this if I'm off.)

Now, tell me why scutt's CDs are so high priced? Cost to make is 5% of the
catalogue, yet they sell for the same $$$$$ can you say "RIPOFF" ?

I think the CDs/DVDs are fairly priced for the work that goes into
them. I hate the DRM they built in, especially now that it means I
cannot use them in Linux, so until that is settled (or I switch OSs)
2007 will be my last copy. The print versions are MASSIVELY
underpriced, IMO, and if they were priced with attention to the cost
to the environment, etc., in their production, it might urge more
people to buy the discs (or to download them, if Amos put that into
effect!)

--
Joshua McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old December 7th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Michel in English and Color. Was: Kudos to Scott Catalog

Joshua McGee" wrote in message
Yes - and depending on what you're using them for, one can pick them
up for almost nothing.

"Almost nothing" is good.

I've been doing a lot on Delcampe, and finding that Scott gets me
basically nowhere. Michel seems most used, with Y&T a close second,
SG a distant third (except for GB specialized material), and Scott a
distant cousin.

I only have one Michel catalogue -- their specialized catalogue of
frama labels -- but it's really great. So I'm looking for an
additional catalogue to invest in, and I'm starting to think Michel.
Someone mentioned that every stamp from a set is listed. That's
brilliant. A few more questions:

1. Color pictures?
2. Dimensions, either of stamps or souvenir sheets?
3. Language only German? (I suppose I could learn German, how hard can
it be?)
4. Price for the whole world?
5. How are booklets handled? Are they distinguished if they differ in
ways other than included stamps, given catalogue numbers, etc?
6. Any reason why Y&T would be strictly better, other than that I read
French already?

Joshua,

Every stamp is indeed listed which is a great advantage. The disadvantage is
that this leads to many volumes, and they are rather pricy.

In what concerns the English versions and the color pictures, eventually
take a look at the search page :

http://www.michel.de/shop/Shop_Produ...4&key=englisch

and at the next one too. Click also on Detailansicht

in Farbe, farbig = in color
in englischer Sprache = in English
Umfang = number of pages (Seiten)
Preis = price

Usually German is considered as being a difficult language to learn. IMHO,
with a good dictionary anyone can "read" any catalogue. Just to mention
that, being aged 16, I learned a lot of French (even if this wasn't my
intention at all) when using Yvert. I couldn't imagine then, when I lived in
a closed country, that one day I'll hear, read and speak French daily. :-)

Michel offers also a big online catalogue, in German and English versions.
The English version is less complete but it is also permanently updated. The
price is Euro 5.90 per month. You'll find more he

http://tinyurl.com/5smvdk

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old December 7th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

In what concerns the English versions and the color pictures, eventually
take a look at the search page :

http://www.michel.de/shop/Shop_Produ...4&key=englisch

and at the next one too. Click also on Detailansicht

Thank you. For used copies, what is the date that they went color,
and did all go color at the same time?

Usually German is considered as being a difficult language to learn. IMHO,
with a good dictionary anyone can "read" any catalogue.

Yes, I agree, if it's in a Latin script. I can't make heads nor tails
(yet) of Asian catalogues.

I was mostly joking about the "how hard can it be" bit, but with
English having some Germanic roots, sometimes the words are close,
though not as frequently as with Romance languages. However, once you
have thirty or so philatelic terms under your belt, you can work out
what most of the compound words mean.

Michel offers also a big online catalogue, in German and English versions.
The English version is less complete but it is also permanently updated. The
price is Euro 5.90 per month. You'll find more he

http://tinyurl.com/5smvdk

I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

It's very nice, but I would rather pay a higher amount for a more
complete version, were it available.

Old December 7th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message

I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

This wasn't my intention at all. Please don't use it!

--
Victor

Old December 7th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

This wasn't my intention at all. Please don't use it!

Sorry this happened. I know you were trying to help.

Maybe you should change your password or username on the site?
Sometimes these sites cancel accounts that are used from more than one
location.
Old December 7th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

This wasn't my intention at all. Please don't use it!

Sorry this happened. I know you were trying to help.

The link points to:

https://ssl.philatelie.de/onlinecata....php?land=&id=

Without the user name and password it is not easy to enter the site,
fortunately.

You are right, with about 30 translated terms someone from the Americas or
from a big part of Europe can understand many things from a catalogue that
uses the Latin alphabet.

--
Victor

Old December 8th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:44:18 -0800 (PST), Joshua McGee
wrote:

Yes - and depending on what you're using them for, one can pick them
up for almost nothing.

"Almost nothing" is good.

Better be.

I've been doing a lot on Delcampe, and finding that Scott gets me
basically nowhere. Michel seems most used, with Y&T a close second,
SG a distant third (except for GB specialized material), and Scott a
distant cousin.

Well, now... I never...

Michel - not for Belgium. COB or as the Flemish like it OCB. Almost
like OCD... Michel for Germany - yes. Yvert or Dallay for France -
yes. Scott for US or Canada, unless you like / have Unitrade. I'll
probably be using that. Other countries have their own pet peeves,
like Edifil, Afinsa and Zumstein. Forgot - Michel for Austria - very
nice.

I only have one Michel catalogue -- their specialized catalogue of
frama labels -- but it's really great.

And boy do they list those suckers out there. Plenty to frame your
wallet in.

So I'm looking for an
additional catalogue to invest in, and I'm starting to think Michel.

Which one? They have about 20 or so. :^)

Someone mentioned that every stamp from a set is listed. That's
brilliant.

Well...

A few more questions:

1. Color pictures?

Not in my older Germany. Not in my 2003 Austria.

2. Dimensions, either of stamps or souvenir sheets?

4th dimension? No clue.

3. Language only German? (I suppose I could learn German, how hard can
it be?)

hehehehehehe... right. Can help you out with a German - English
translation booklet.

4. Price for the whole world?

Heh!

5. How are booklets handled? Are they distinguished if they differ in
ways other than included stamps, given catalogue numbers, etc?

The Germany catalog works nicely. There's an English version of it,
but it is lacking in some areas, according to the TR group.

6. Any reason why Y&T would be strictly better, other than that I read
French already?

If you are handling France & colonies - yes. Good place.
Old December 8th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:51:05 -0800 (PST), Joshua McGee
wrote:

[...]

What would even be nicer is if they had a country only service.
Wazzat, you say? Exactly what some people are doing on eBay - selling
country pages. Takes the business away from the hawkers and may bring
in more revenue, especially if the pages could be downloaded.

Each country (or group of, like colonies) could be set up in some
format on-line. As one selects what pages one needs, those pages are
combined into a .pdf file and the buyer could download them.

This is missing in the Scott plan right now. I can see this happening
without much muss or fuss because the countries or already in some
digital format.
Old December 8th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:54:51 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message

I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

This wasn't my intention at all. Please don't use it!

Rut roh... there goes the recipe for the SNA "special sauce" gum.
Old December 8th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

wrote:

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message

I believe you may have just given the group your login credentials?

This wasn't my intention at all. Please don't use it!

Rut roh... there goes the recipe for the SNA "special sauce" gum.

Yeah, like The Fennec Tea & The Invisible Hologram (both SNA trademarks)
too.

OT. On a much more serious note, here something new for those interested in
trademarks and IP:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1225923

--
Victor Manta