Beware GreatSouthernCoins FRAUD

Old June 16th 05, 07:13 AM
jcsuperstar

It is a flat strike, quite common for 1921, and other 20th century
dates, Morgans. The dies for 1921 differed from the previous ones
also. It is uncirculated and MS64 seems fair enough for it. It might
have beem [properly] cleaned in the past. Probably mot though. A lot
of earlier slabbed ones have been cleaned.

This is an example where the price and the decision to buy a coin has
to go beyond the slab tag and a pricing guide. Blue sheet rises 6.9x
in price from MS63 to MS64 and another 6.9x in price to MS65. Those
are some big spreads. In reality, a technically graded MS64 PCGS
1921-S could be priced anywhere from midway between MS63 and MS64 and
midway between MS64 and MS65 (though it can get even wilder) depending
on the visual appeal of the coin, despite the technical grade. Maybe
$300 to $2000 for a range. That one is pretty nice, despite the
strike.around on-grade money.

Too bad it isn't a thornhead.

Old June 16th 05, 01:01 PM
BigDog

K6AZ WHERE ARE YOU

You know more about morgans than most people I know-- Help me out on
this one.
I know about the dies and stuff, but man if you say you agree with this
pcgs grade,
I will shut my mouth-- I got nothing against this seller, never bought
ever -, but even my newbie eye this looks like !@$#.

tell my my friend..

Rick

Old June 16th 05, 05:01 PM
Ed Mars

URAdope wrote:
When the seller finds out about this posting, he'll have YOU suspended from eBay
for "auction interference"!

No way, URAdope.

Ed

Old June 16th 05, 06:26 PM
jcsuperstar

That is the point. I won't dispute the technical grade of MS64. It
does appear uncirculates but with a flat strike and the makrs are
pretty well aligned with the grade. But it still comes down to eye
appeal. The lack of great rarity here (there are thousands in this
grade and it is no tough variety) means there is really no reason to
buy the coin for your set. It can be discounted for the lack of eye
appeal / strike. That is up to the bidders and the market they create.

I have a very significant Morgan set myself, assembled over many years.
But I do not have many of the common dates (79-S, 82-CC, ...) because
I can pick up a nice one anytime. I do, however, have a coin with a
strike even a little worse than that one. It is a 1901-S DMPL. It
doesn't have the eye appeal I would like and one would hope for in a
coin attributed as "proof-like". But it is genuinely extremely rare
and that is a margin where exceptions exist. The 1921-S in MS64 OTOH
is common enough that, unless you got it for a bargain and wanted to
flip it for a quick profit, I'd suggest a wise buyer to wait and pick
the uncommon one that turns up for sale with decent strike
characteristics and minimal obverse marks.

Old June 16th 05, 07:06 PM
Anita

On 16 Jun 2005 10:26:26 -0700, "jcsuperstar"
wrote:

...The 1921-S in MS64 OTOH
is common enough that, unless you got it for a bargain and wanted to
flip it for a quick profit, I'd suggest a wise buyer to wait and pick
the uncommon one that turns up for sale with decent strike
characteristics and minimal obverse marks.

I would go a step further and suggest to buy any of the 1921 Morgans
in MS 65 or above. The only reason I can think to buy a MS 64 or less
for a collection is if the collector wants nothing but 64.

Anita
Old June 16th 05, 07:16 PM
reality

Look at this guy's crap!

Not a proof
Worn
Cleaned
Corroded
Chemically Recolored

Worth about $30

All of his copper has major problems.

The 1872 two-cent piece that he's advertising as MS-63 is actually a
proof - worth far less than business strikes.

It's missing all of the diagnostics of the business strike coins.

Old June 16th 05, 10:42 PM
Frank Provasek

"URAdope" wrote

When the seller finds out about this posting, he'll have YOU suspended
from eBay
for "auction interference"!

Got a nasty 10 minute phone call from Great Southern Coins -- was I the one
disparaging
their coins. Let me know they are honest and ethical...Apparently I am the
only person with
a toll free phone number in this thread...

Old June 16th 05, 10:49 PM
K6AZ

On 16 Jun 2005 05:01:08 -0700, "BigDog" wrote:

K6AZ WHERE ARE YOU

You know more about morgans than most people I know-- Help me out on
this one.
I know about the dies and stuff, but man if you say you agree with this
pcgs grade,
I will shut my mouth-- I got nothing against this seller, never bought
ever -, but even my newbie eye this looks like !@$#.

tell my my friend..

Rick

Well, you asked...

The 21-S is the worst struck coin of the series. This coin appears to
me to be right on the grade. You can't compare the 1921 issues
with the rest of the series.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old June 16th 05, 10:56 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Frank Provasek wrote:

Got a nasty 10 minute phone call from Great Southern Coins -- was I
the one disparaging
their coins. Let me know they are honest and ethical...Apparently I
am the only person with
a toll free phone number in this thread...

Why are you slandering an honest coin dealer? I've bought many coins from
them and they were better than described.

BTW Did you *REALLY* ever get your $47 back, Frank?

Now stop cross-posting and SPAMMING your **** to A.M.O.E. I don't come to
your house to **** on your dinner table so please don't **** on ours. Keep
it in R.C.C. where it belongs.

Rita

Old June 16th 05, 11:03 PM
Frank Provasek

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Frank Provasek wrote:

Got a nasty 10 minute phone call from Great Southern Coins -- was I
the one disparaging
their coins. Let me know they are honest and ethical...Apparently I
am the only person with
a toll free phone number in this thread...

Why are you slandering an honest coin dealer? I've bought many coins from
them and they were better than described.

What coins have you bought from them? Have you tried to have them certified
by one of the major third party grading companies? I suggest you do so and
you
will find that these coins not honestly described.

BTW Did you *REALLY* ever get your $47 back, Frank?

I thought that was settled. Yes I got my money back, the buyer was a crook
who
claimed he did not get the item.

Now stop cross-posting and SPAMMING your &hit to A.M.O.E. I don't come to
your house to *hit on your dinner table so please don't &hit on ours.
Keep
it in R.C.C. where it belongs.

Rita

I did not make the original post, it's going to the same groups as the
original post.
It does belong in AMOE because it concerns misrepresented items on ebay
which is
a serious problem is all categories. And PLEASE do not use vulgar
language!!!!

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS www.frankcoins.com
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfrankcoins Texas Auction License 11259