Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Old July 20th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
lashleyl06

Default Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have this book in my possession it is a small used book is in good
condition for being 113 years old. It measures 6" X 4". The front
cover and back cover are worn but the spine is intact, no pages loose
or falling out. It is not moldy or smell funny. It has an
inscription on the inside page that reads "Charlie from Ellen Dec 25
1896". This book was published in 1893 by Thomas Y Crowell &
Company.

Can someone tell me about this book, is it worth selling or should i
put it back on the shelf for another 100 years? Where does one go to
get a value on a book? Thanks

Old July 20th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"lashleyl06" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have this book in my possession it is a small used book is in good
condition for being 113 years old. It measures 6" X 4". The front
cover and back cover are worn but the spine is intact, no pages loose
or falling out. It is not moldy or smell funny. It has an
inscription on the inside page that reads "Charlie from Ellen Dec 25
1896". This book was published in 1893 by Thomas Y Crowell &
Company.

Although 114 years may seem like a long time, it's not a lot
in the book world. An "old" book to a collector would have
been published in the 1500 or 1600s. A collectible book is
one that's uncommon in its state.

Your book is a reprint, published 46 years after the original
publication. So by the time yours was published, there
were already (who knows how) many copies existant.

Can someone tell me about this book, is it worth selling or should i
put it back on the shelf for another 100 years? Where does one go to
get a value on a book? Thanks

You can research at http://www.addall.com/used/ to see what
booksellers are asking for this book (in the same condition, by the
same publisher, with the same date).

You can also Google for a biography or check Wikipedia.org,
both of which will turn up information on a *noted* author's
books.

I think you should enjoy your little book. If you have children
let them read it. It's a charming story, and you can play
"Evangeline" by Aaron Neville for them (which will help them
understand both the song and the story).

Kris

Old July 20th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
lashleyl06

Thanks a bunhc, its on eBay right now but if it deosnt sell i will put
it back on the shelf. Thanks again

Old July 20th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"lashleyl06" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks a bunhc, its on eBay right now but if it deosnt sell i will put
it back on the shelf. Thanks again

Oh! I thought you were asking "is it worth selling....?"

I see your listing.

You started it at $10.00 - which cost you 60 cents.
If you had started it at $9.99, it would only have
cost you 40 cents. So you paid 20 extra cents
to make another penny.
You need to read this:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

BTW, before you start a listing, check to see what
the same item has sold for, before. Also check to
see what the competition is. Your competition
has an 1893 copy up for 99-cents.....and a total
of four 1893 copies cheaper than yours.

Kris

Old July 21st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

lashleyl06 wrote:

I have this book in my possession it is a small used book is in good
condition for being 113 years old. It measures 6" X 4". The front
cover and back cover are worn but the spine is intact, no pages loose
or falling out. It is not moldy or smell funny. It has an
inscription on the inside page that reads "Charlie from Ellen Dec 25
1896". This book was published in 1893 by Thomas Y Crowell &
Company.

Can someone tell me about this book, is it worth selling or should i
put it back on the shelf for another 100 years? Where does one go to
get a value on a book? Thanks

The first edition was published with about 2100 copies in 1847 (nearly 50 years
before your copy) by Ticknor and Fields, a Boston publishing house. The second
edition was dated 1848 (number of copies unknown) with a third edition the same
year with 1100 copies. Bibliography of American Literature, 12089.

By the time you get to reprints 50 years after the initial publication, value
will have decreased substantially unless it is a finely illustrated limited
edition.

Keep it another 100 years.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 21st 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Claudia Tenold

The best place I have found to find a book value is www.abebooks.com
It's just a guide.

"lashleyl06" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have this book in my possession it is a small used book is in good
condition for being 113 years old. It measures 6" X 4". The front
cover and back cover are worn but the spine is intact, no pages loose
or falling out. It is not moldy or smell funny. It has an
inscription on the inside page that reads "Charlie from Ellen Dec 25
1896". This book was published in 1893 by Thomas Y Crowell &
Company.

Can someone tell me about this book, is it worth selling or should i
put it back on the shelf for another 100 years? Where does one go to
get a value on a book? Thanks

A salute to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Rod General Discussion 2 March 29th 07 01:32 AM
PING! Ron Henry winnard 8 Track Tapes 0 August 30th 04 02:50 PM
Henry 7th Groat Mame Coins 4 August 11th 04 02:34 PM
Longfellow's Evangeline - Trying to date a copy Jeff Clough Books 1 June 13th 04 05:14 PM
Longfellow Signature Daniel Books 1 July 30th 03 03:48 AM