Pop Survey

Old December 6th 04, 08:27 PM
Bluesea

Default Pop Survey

What pen/pencil-related item do you want for Christmas?

Me: I just got a bottle of Noodler's Legal Lapis so I'm a happy camper for
awhile.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old December 6th 04, 08:37 PM
don

"Bluesea" wrote in message
What pen/pencil-related item do you want for Christmas?

Me: I just got a bottle of Noodler's Legal Lapis so I'm a happy camper for
awhile.

I just purchased a CS 85L for a stocking stuffer for myself. I haven't tried
the Legal Lapis but I'm a sucker for blue inks. I like the PR DC Supershow
Blue and of course the legendary Penman Sapphire. What I'm really lusting
after is a new CS Churchill. We'll see....
don

Old December 6th 04, 11:32 PM
QuarterHorseman

What pen/pencil-related item do you want for Christmas?

I want all such items. All of them. Every one ever made. I want to see a
panel truck backing down my driveway with the stuff. No wait -- a 10-ton
dump truck. I want to stand right behind the thing and have the driver
pull the lever and see that dump body start to tilt and I want to get
buried under pens and ink. I want to see the pile rising up all around
myself to my knees and then my waist and then my chest and then my neck
and then I want to *swim* in pens and ink as I look for daylight and as
the neighbors call the police because they're pretty sure something's
wrong over here.

But please, for pens, ball nibs and stubs only -- no italics. And for
ink, please, no leftover Penman stock or moldy Pelikan, but if you want
to go heavy on the Noodler's that'll be fine with me.

And I wouldn't mind if someone dumped some old-stock "National" brand
spiral notebooks onto the pile as frosting.

C'mon, Santa, whaddya say?

Okay, really, what I want is for all the manufacturers to start giving a
damn about quality and to start shipping all their pens with tines
properly-formed and properly-polished and properly-spaced and
properly-aligned. And nibs and feeds set tight into sections so the nibs
don't walk around with normal use. And some serious field-testing by
real people with real hands before going into production with any given
model would be good, too.

But I think there's less chance of that than the dump truck showing up
here. So, what the hell... gimme an old leftover blister-pack $7.95
Sheaffer Viewpoint from 1994; at least I know it'll work. A red one,
please, 'cause I already have all the blue ones from Arcamax.
Old December 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

Bluesea wrote:
What pen/pencil-related item do you want for Christmas?

Me: I just got a bottle of Noodler's Legal Lapis so I'm a happy camper for
awhile.

I've really got it bad for a CS Winston Churchill in Bracket Brown with
a matching BP. (I collect sets) Don't know if I'll pull it off, so may
have to wait for the DC show in August.

Old December 7th 04, 07:41 AM

I really don't need any new pens or inks at the moment. Really. Just
let the giver use his/her favorite poen and ink while writing out a big
check to me. No, wait, make it a normal-sized check, just with a large
amount written on it.

Old December 7th 04, 07:31 PM
G. L. Pease

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:32:48 -0800, QuarterHorseman wrote
(in message ):

Okay, really, what I want is for all the manufacturers to start giving a
damn about quality and to start shipping all their pens with tines
properly-formed and properly-polished and properly-spaced and
properly-aligned. And nibs and feeds set tight into sections so the nibs
don't walk around with normal use. And some serious field-testing by
real people with real hands before going into production with any given
model would be good, too.

It's amazing what we "learn" to accept. I do remember being able to buy a
pen, knowing that I could fill it with ink, and use it without "tuning."
It still happens, sometimes. The Pelikan 605 I got from the Levinger sale
was fantastic out of the box. So was my Phileas. So was my Agatha
Christie and my Waterman Le Mans Opera, but those are older, so they
don't count. Everything else, I've had to tune, tweak, adjust, polish,
and in some cases, regrind. I've almost given up on new pens...almost.

But, I've come to accept this as normal. I've learned to live with it, as
so many of us have. If we keep buying stuff that's broken, the factories
have no incentive to fix their production and quality control problems.
(I'll spare the lengthy story of trying to get a Mont Blanc 149, with a F
nib, that actually wrote on anything but "perfect" paper. I finally ended
up tuning that one myself, too, after several failed attempts to get
Koh-i-Noor to make things right.)

I'd love a really nice Shaeffer Tuckaway, with the wide band and the tiny
little clip, with the filler parts all replaced with new ones that don't
leak, and perfect plating. No scratches, and clean nomenclature. I'm not
even going to be too picky about the colour, so long as it's not light
blue. I'm easy to please. It's not going to cost Santa a glove and a
boot. You listening, Mr. Claus?

Or, a Pelikan 400NN with an OF nib, just ever so slightly flexy, in black
striped celluloid - I've already got a lovely tortoise shell one with a
wonderful OM nib. C'mon, Santa. This one should be pretty easy.

A bottle of Legal Lapis for the stocking would be nice. There should
still be room in there, even with the lump of coal I'm expecting.

Oh, I could get greedy. I received the Fountain Pen Hospital wish book in
the post, and it's full of things that I don't really want (like some of
those very silly Krones), but there's still plenty of things that would
make me quite happy on Christmas eve. A blue Aurora Optima would be a
great second choice to the Afrika I'd really like.

Probably, I should hedge my bets, and order the ink for myself, and maybe
scan ebay for the Pelikan. I got outbid on one a few weeks ago, but
another will turn up. I'm not even THAT picky about the nib, just no OBB
for me. Of course, many of the good ones have to be shipped from Germany,
not the North Pole. I guess Santa is outsourcing. I could place an order
for a new pen, but it seems selfish, being so close to Christmas.

Hell. I can't make a list today. I'd run completely out of ink before I
finished it. Better get that Legal Lapis order in today so I can get
started.

-glp

--
Gregory Pease
G. L. Pease, Intl.

Check out the Briar and Leaf Chronicles -
http://www.glpease.com/Chronicles

Old December 7th 04, 08:29 PM
Steven Banks

"Bluesea" wrote in message
What pen/pencil-related item do you want for Christmas?

Me: I just got a bottle of Noodler's Legal Lapis so I'm a happy camper for
awhile.

Well I've been pretty blessed with pen gifts in the past. The last "pen"
gift was a Conway Stewart Churchill in Tobacco color. The only other pen I
would like to round out and finish my small collection is a black Conklin
Mark Twain.

Steve Banks

Old December 7th 04, 08:45 PM
don

"Steven Banks" wrote in message
Well I've been pretty blessed with pen gifts in the past. The last "pen"
gift was a Conway Stewart Churchill in Tobacco color. The only other pen I
would like to round out and finish my small collection is a black Conklin
Mark Twain.

Steve Banks

Arrgghhh!! I really want a Churchill. Just haven't made up my mind to forego
eating for the next month to afford it!! Drat! I'm green with envy, but
happy for you.
don

Old December 7th 04, 10:21 PM
KCat

the only thing that interests me right now is the Levenger "two pens and
your glasses" thing. But that's just a luxury. well.. anything pen related
would be a luxury.

mostly I want a new house and less stress. pipe dreams, both.

Love that Legal Lapis!
---

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

SURVEY TIME: Postage when you started TTM collecting? pe2 Autographs 6 January 21st 05 11:59 AM
SURVEY TIME for kick-off 2005 pe2 Autographs 8 January 10th 05 05:42 AM
Pop Survey Bluesea Pens & Pencils 7 October 20th 04 04:12 AM
Pop Survey Bluesea Pens & Pencils 18 September 30th 04 11:05 PM
Pop Survey Bluesea Pens & Pencils 28 July 16th 04 07:03 PM