(RCSD) Another stamp movie

Old October 6th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Another stamp movie

Today I saw another philatelic related movie.

The movie is The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date (1941)
starring Warren William (Michael Lanyard, the Lone
Wolf - a reformed jewel thief) and Frances Robinson
(Patricia Lawrence)

The story begins when Lanyard goes to Cuba to buy a
last stamp to complete his Cuban collection.

(A quick glimpse of the stamp in the dealers shop
reveals it as a mint copy of the 10c value of the
1910 series with INVERTED centre. Scott 244a)

The stamp shows Gen. José M Rodriquez.

A gang of crooks then steal the stamp collection
thinking it is a $100 thousand ransom for a
kidnapping they have done. (Robinson was to pay
the ransom.)

Lanyard rescues the heroine (Robinson) with the
ransom money and a complex plot for the recovery
of the stamp collection in time for an important
philatelic exhibition ensues. To make it more
interesting, the police think Lanyard is the
kidnapper.

It has lots of comedy and my favourite scene is
where Lanyard feigning utter horror at the mess his
stamp collection had got into in Ed Gargan's (one
of the crooks) none-too-delicate hands. We see
stamp albums thrown in the air and stamps flying
everywhere , due to a desk fan being in operation.

Great fun for stamp collectors.

The stamp can be seen at :
http://www.mbiauctions.com/lotphotos...299/161250.jpg

A Very Fine , mint, most OG copy sold at Mathew
Bennett's auction #299 for $675.00 (US)

Blair

Old October 7th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hello Blair,
you should email that to Mr. Michael Meadowcroft in the UK.
I think he is keeping a database of movies,
and would be delighted with a new admission I would wager.
Rodney

ups.com...