Labeling Postings

Old December 8th 03, 06:04 PM
A.E. Gelat

Default Labeling Postings

Please label your postings correctly. If you change the subject, please give it a new label. Very often, interesting items are posted as a reply to a posting, but the subject is entirely different. The new subject will be lost for those people that were not interested in he original posting.

Tony

Old December 9th 03, 12:38 AM
Bill Sharpe

.... and start a new thread. Some of us don't scan all the messages, only the
first posting in a thread.

Bill

Old December 9th 03, 07:59 PM

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:16:52 -0800, J. A. Mc.
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:04:20 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
found these unused words floating about:

Please label your postings correctly. If you change the subject, please give it a new label. Very often, interesting items are posted as a reply to a posting, but the subject is entirely different. The new subject will be lost for those people that were not interested in he original posting.

Tony

... and in further cooperation - Please don't post HTML to newsgroups
!!!

+++++++++++++++++++
So how would i know whether my posting uses HTML??
I use Forte Agent to enjoy Newsgroups, and the graphic taskbar has
many buttons. One button is "Post followup meassage" which i clicked
to "post" this Reply - - -is that HTML?

Another button says "Post new Usenet message". Is that HTML?
??
S.
Old December 9th 03, 10:31 PM

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:59:16 -0600, S found

wrote:

[...]

Right now, you're posting text. FA is smart that way and does post
plain text.

When you read Gelat's original post (or any post with/in HTML), you'll
either see a different font, double message, HTML garbage with the
message interspersed or a browser logo where the HTML is added.

You'll notice too that his system doesn't 'word wrap' to the accepted
NG style 76-80 character lines.

Many servers strip the HTML for non-attachment groups, some (few) just
kill the post entirely!

HTH!

++++++++++++++++++
Well, yes, it helps. But i still wonder:
As Forte Agent gave me Tony's 11:25 response, it arrived with the same
wordwrap and appearance as Mette's 10:57 message.

Does that indicate that Mette also used HTML, or is it just the skill
of Forte Agent that it can handle the differences?
S.
Old December 9th 03, 10:35 PM
John Ray

S wrote:

So how would i know whether my posting uses HTML??
I use Forte Agent to enjoy Newsgroups, and the graphic taskbar has
many buttons. One button is "Post followup meassage" which i clicked
to "post" this Reply - - -is that HTML?

Another button says "Post new Usenet message". Is that HTML?
??

Read the manual?

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old December 9th 03, 11:07 PM

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:35:29 +0000, John Ray
wrote:

((( regarding Forte Agent, reading HTML in r.c.s.d.)))

Read the manual?

++++++++++++++++++++
Good suggestion, so i tried.
You could help even more by pointing out the page number, if you have
read the Manual yourself.

The 193-page Users Manual which arrived with my Forte CD, has an
elaborate index with 9 sub-headings under "mail", none of which
mention HTML. The two listings under "h" are "header fields
displaying" and "hiding message details"; nothing for "HTML"

For that matter, i don't see "stamps" between "spell checking" and
"status bar" either, so i guess THIS posting is off-topic - - - my
apologies, - - - but the earlier thread was Philatelic.
S.
Old December 9th 03, 11:32 PM
Bob Ingraham

12/9/2003 3:07 PM

wrote:

((( regarding Forte Agent, reading HTML in r.c.s.d.)))

Read the manual?

++++++++++++++++++++
Good suggestion, so i tried.
You could help even more by pointing out the page number, if you have
read the Manual yourself.

The 193-page Users Manual which arrived with my Forte CD, has an
elaborate index with 9 sub-headings under "mail", none of which
mention HTML. The two listings under "h" are "header fields
displaying" and "hiding message details"; nothing for "HTML"

For that matter, i don't see "stamps" between "spell checking" and
"status bar" either, so i guess THIS posting is off-topic - - - my
apologies, - - - but the earlier thread was Philatelic.
S.

We went through this HTML gobbledegook a few weeks ago, and I was no further
enlighted *after* the discussion than before.

S. has my sympathies! If computers and their ilk could be operated easily by
normal adults (as well as by children and those adults with childlike
minds), and manuals could be written with a vocabulary that doesn't change
every 37 hours, then, well, I wouldn't be writing this and I could be
talking about stamps!

Bob

Old December 10th 03, 12:22 AM
A.E. Gelat

S, I use Microsoft Outlook Express to read the newsgroups. The tools on the
top have a Format button, which gives you a choice between Rich Text (HTML),
or Plain Text. I use plain text in posting and replying to newsgroups, but
HTML in correspondence, where I can use color, different fonts, etc.

Tony

Old December 10th 03, 01:28 AM
Rodney

| Good suggestion, so i tried.
| You could help even more by pointing out the page number, if you have
| read the Manual yourself.

On a tangent,
Outlook Express, one would navigate to

Tools / Options / Send

to select "send as text"

Maybe a similar route in your program

Old December 10th 03, 01:40 AM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:32:44 GMT, Bob Ingraham found

wrote:

[...]

Well, just imagine how a computer programmer feels when he/she/it hears
philatelists talking their gobbledegook!

You rang?

Linked list, shell sort, quick sort, endless loop (see loop, endless),
parameters, variables, Polish post-notation, Boyce Codd normalization,
etc.

Perforations, precancels, typography, CTO, etc.

Each has terminology - it's up to you to decide how little or how much use
you want to make of the capabilities of the venue and up to you to learn.

Yup. I have the best of both of those worlds. :^)

Tracy Barber