SEEBURG SPS160 ?

Old September 6th 03, 05:20 AM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

PS: check the grey box connections also

Jim W

"Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner" wrote in
message k.net...
The same thing happend to mine.

it was the RCA jack had a broken wire in it check the whole cable for
nicks if it shorts agains the metal it wont trip the mech properly

make
sure the rRCA jack is clan and making good contact

make a slection see if it picks it up

if not:

with the upper door open make a slection or just start the mech from
service switch unplug the RCA jack while it is scanning and plug it back
in it should pick up a slection if it does the that is not the

problem
it may be further in the DCC.

Jim W

"Terry Kuhns" wrote in message
om...
I have a Seeburg SPS160 with a problem I hope someone can help me
figure out...the machine will start up fine but when you punch in a
selection the carriage (?) will run back and forth one or two times
and then stop without picking out the selection. The owner told me it
used to work fine but over time it started acting up now and then but
has now gotten to the point where it will not pick up any selection.

So far I have cleaned the bar (the one with the solid brass rail and
the row of round "dots") and the leaf switches but that did not make
any difference. I can manually make it pick up a record and it plays
just fine and will reject the record when you push the reject button.

Can someone tell me where I need to start with this problem or what to
look for?

Thanks in advance,
Terry Kuhns

Old September 7th 03, 02:47 PM
Terry Kuhns

"Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner" wrote in message nk.net...
PS: check the grey box connections also

Jim W

"Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner" wrote in
message k.net...
The same thing happend to mine.

it was the RCA jack had a broken wire in it check the whole cable for
nicks if it shorts agains the metal it wont trip the mech properly

make
sure the rRCA jack is clan and making good contact

make a slection see if it picks it up

if not:

with the upper door open make a slection or just start the mech from
service switch unplug the RCA jack while it is scanning and plug it back
in it should pick up a slection if it does the that is not the

problem
it may be further in the DCC.

Jim W

Thanks for the insighton where to start looking, Jim, I'm going to try
to get out to look at this machine later today. I'll let you know what
I run into!!

Thanks,
Terry K
Old September 7th 03, 09:26 PM
Terry Kuhns

it was the RCA jack had a broken wire in it check the whole cable for
nicks if it shorts agains the metal it wont trip the mech properly

make
sure the rRCA jack is clan and making good contact

make a slection see if it picks it up

if not:

with the upper door open make a slection or just start the mech from
service switch unplug the RCA jack while it is scanning and plug it back
in it should pick up a slection if it does the that is not the

problem
it may be further in the DCC.

Jim W

Thanks for the insighton where to start looking, Jim, I'm going to try
to get out to look at this machine later today. I'll let you know what
I run into!!

Thanks,
Terry K

Hi Jim,
I checked out everything you said about. I unplugged the rca jack ,
started it scanning and plugged the jack back in but it just kept on
scanning as before..
I also checked the plugs on every board and they seemed nice and shiny
and I also cleaned the pads where the plugs mounted....
What should I check next?

thanks,
Terry
Old September 9th 03, 09:24 PM
amyotte

Check the 2 single wire connectors inside the front, lower left.
One connector has a yellow wire on each side with one end going to a yellow
connector under the small panel that has the mech.start & credit switches.
The other is another single wire connector, one side is white/brown and the
other side is white/black. These two connect together.

I had somehow reversed at a dim lit site and saw the same problem you have.

Brian

Old September 12th 03, 10:09 AM
Terry Kuhns

"amyotte" wrote in message ...
Check the 2 single wire connectors inside the front, lower left.
One connector has a yellow wire on each side with one end going to a yellow
connector under the small panel that has the mech.start & credit switches.
The other is another single wire connector, one side is white/brown and the
other side is white/black. These two connect together.

I had somehow reversed at a dim lit site and saw the same problem you have.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I will check those wires too just to be sure :-) I
finally got it home to where I can work on it with the proper tools!
First thing I need to do is replace/repair blown 6 1/4 amp fuse which
got blown by accident. From what I have read these are hard to find
and expensive when you do. I also read where you can repair with newer
style holder and fuse. I think I'll do the latter...

Thanks again for the info!
-Terry

Old September 17th 03, 02:24 AM
Terry Kuhns

(Terry Kuhns) wrote in message . com...
"amyotte" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have checked several things out and one thing that doesn't seem
right to me I will pose as a question he I was testing the RCA
wires for shorts with my DMM. I unplugged all the jacks (1 at the DCC
and the 2 at the service switch) With my DMM on continuity buzz tone I
checked the cable from the DCC to the service switch putting the black
lead on the outer case and the red lead on the 'tit'. No buzz which
tells me no short between center wire and the ground wire. I then took
the black lead and put it on the 'tit' on the other end plug and got
buzzed. Cool, wire is good, not shorted. I then checked the one going
to the tormat. I put one lead on the outer case and the other lead on
the 'tit'. It buzzed telling me the center wire and the outer wires
are shorted together. Am I right for thinking this? If so, is this
cable replaceable?

Thanks,
Terry
Old September 17th 03, 04:08 AM
Tony Miklos

Terry Kuhns wrote:

I have checked several things out and one thing that doesn't seem
right to me I will pose as a question he I was testing the RCA
wires for shorts with my DMM. I unplugged all the jacks (1 at the DCC
and the 2 at the service switch) With my DMM on continuity buzz tone I
checked the cable from the DCC to the service switch putting the black
lead on the outer case and the red lead on the 'tit'. No buzz which
tells me no short between center wire and the ground wire. I then took
the black lead and put it on the 'tit' on the other end plug and got
buzzed. Cool, wire is good, not shorted. I then checked the one going
to the tormat. I put one lead on the outer case and the other lead on
the 'tit'. It buzzed telling me the center wire and the outer wires
are shorted together. Am I right for thinking this? If so, is this
cable replaceable?

The cable going into the tormat will have a very low resistance, which
will look like a short. This is normal. Have you wiggled the rca plug
in and out of the DCC jack while the juke is searching for a selection
and it still didn't select? If so you probably have a bad DCC. Start
out by changing all the electrolytic capacitors in it, and cleaning the
plug connections on the circuit boards.

--
Tony

Old September 17th 03, 10:53 PM
Terry Kuhns

Tony Miklos wrote in message ...
Terry Kuhns wrote:

[...]

I have tried wiggling the jacks, even tried the battery test but the
result was still the same. I have checked/cleaned all the plugs and
plug connections so my next step will be to replace all the elect.
caps as you said. I have replaced 2 of them on the power supply board
as 1 was broken off and the other was leaking. I guess caps are caps
and just like on the older pins it is best to replace them, eliminates
a lot of trouble down the road!!

Thanks for the info on where to go next!!

-Terry
Old September 27th 03, 05:04 PM
Terry Kuhns

Terry Kuhns wrote:

[...]

I received the cap kit for it and have installed it. I made sure all
connections were clean and put it back together. I put on some credits
and punched in some numbers. It still just runs back an forth 2 times
and stops so apparently I have more problems than just bad caps (it
did need them!) I'm back to square one with upgraded
electronics....any ideas where to look next?

Thanks,
Terry
Old September 28th 03, 12:52 AM
Joe

Hi there. When you cleaned "the bar with the tits" was this the bar
"above " the magazine rack, or the one "below" (you need to remove the
front door and lay on the floor in the "Seeburg position" and look up
at the Tormat bar) The lower bar is what needs to be clean to find
records, the upper one just makes the lites to the selection numbers
work (I do believe). Clean the bar with a "plastic safe" solvent, and
then scrub with an eraser to remove guk.

Ron Rich has a great booklet available for repairing these kinds of
problems, it sure helped me! I know he has a hyperlink on Mr. Tony
Millers website.

Yours, Joe