SEEBURG SPS160 ?

Old August 30th 03, 05:29 PM
X X

Default SEEBURG SPS160 ?

Can you use a SHP3 amp in this machine, vice the SHP1 amp that came from
the factory? or did someone do a little jury rigging?

Old August 31st 03, 06:52 PM
Tony Miklos

X X wrote:
Can you use a SHP3 amp in this machine, vice the SHP1 amp that came from
the factory? or did someone do a little jury rigging?

I believe the SHP 1,2,and 3 amps are all interchangeable, all though the
SHP4, which I've never seen I'm not so sure about. Slight upgrades in 2
and 3. If you are seeking for it to be original and want a SHP1 in it,
I'd still do the upgrades so it "says" SHP1, but is actually a SHP3.

--
Tony

Old August 31st 03, 07:11 PM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:52:48 GMT, Tony Miklos
wrote:

X X wrote:
Can you use a SHP3 amp in this machine, vice the SHP1 amp that came from
the factory? or did someone do a little jury rigging?

I believe the SHP 1,2,and 3 amps are all interchangeable, all though the
SHP4, which I've never seen I'm not so sure about. Slight upgrades in 2
and 3. If you are seeking for it to be original and want a SHP1 in it,
I'd still do the upgrades so it "says" SHP1, but is actually a SHP3.

The SHP2 is a lower-power version for use in the 100-selection
machines. AFIK, there never was a SHP4, at least in the standard
Seeburg Chassis. The SCD introduced a different packaging scheme,
which I believe resulted in a new name for the amp, and completely
different design.

Cheers,

Tony Miller

Old September 2nd 03, 01:03 AM
nicky newguy

As we are talking about the SPS,
what remote (bar top) can I use with this machine?

Thanks for all the prior information!

PS. what remote volume and cancel can I use?

Old September 2nd 03, 06:30 AM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

it uses any of the DEC walboxes

the remote volume unit i used in mine is the PRVC3

i got the remote volume unit through www.jukebox-parts.com

Jim W

Old September 4th 03, 02:46 AM

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:37:38 GMT, Tony Miklos

wrote:

X X wrote:

Can you use a SHP3 amp in this machine, vice the SHP1 amp that came from
the factory? or did someone do a little jury rigging?

I believe the SHP 1,2,and 3 amps are all interchangeable, all though the
SHP4, which I've never seen I'm not so sure about. Slight upgrades in 2
and 3. If you are seeking for it to be original and want a SHP1 in it,
I'd still do the upgrades so it "says" SHP1, but is actually a SHP3.

The SHP2 is a lower-power version for use in the 100-selection
machines. AFIK, there never was a SHP4, at least in the standard
Seeburg Chassis. The SCD introduced a different packaging scheme,
which I believe resulted in a new name for the amp, and completely
different design.

You say "the standard Seeburg Chassis", I know a distibutor wanted to
sell me a NOS SHP4 amp once but I didn't take it since I didn't know
what it was. This was on the phone, so I didn't see it but he swore it
said SHP4 on it. What may this have been used in? Possibly an
auxillary amp? Or maybe used in a later hide away for wallboxes? I
guess I should have bought it just so I could have bragging rights. :-)

What I mean by the 'Standard Seeburg Chassis' is the metal chassis
used for all of the TSAs, SCCs, DCCs, PCCs, PPC, TCC, TAS, etc. The
VMC used yet another amplifier, which was only used for that model.

Standard equipment on the STD4, SMC1, SMC2, SMC3 was SHP3. 100-77D,
100-78D, 100-79M used SHP2. I believe the SHP series ended when the
SCD1 happened, whose amp was not in the standard Seeburg chasses, but
used something else. I believe it was called PAS, or something like
that. You see them on ebay from tme to time. This latter amp does
not have the standard preamp, since the output of the laser is at a
higher (1 V p-p?) audio level.

Cheers,

Tony Miller
Old September 5th 03, 09:07 PM
Terry Kuhns

I have a Seeburg SPS160 with a problem I hope someone can help me
figure out...the machine will start up fine but when you punch in a
selection the carriage (?) will run back and forth one or two times
and then stop without picking out the selection. The owner told me it
used to work fine but over time it started acting up now and then but
has now gotten to the point where it will not pick up any selection.

So far I have cleaned the bar (the one with the solid brass rail and
the row of round "dots") and the leaf switches but that did not make
any difference. I can manually make it pick up a record and it plays
just fine and will reject the record when you push the reject button.

Can someone tell me where I need to start with this problem or what to
look for?

Thanks in advance,
Terry Kuhns
Old September 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

The same thing happend to mine.

it was the RCA jack had a broken wire in it check the whole cable for
nicks if it shorts agains the metal it wont trip the mech properly make
sure the rRCA jack is clan and making good contact

make a slection see if it picks it up

if not:

with the upper door open make a slection or just start the mech from
service switch unplug the RCA jack while it is scanning and plug it back
in it should pick up a slection if it does the that is not the problem
it may be further in the DCC.

Jim W

om...