Seeburg HF100R DIY Cabinet Laminate Kits....

Old December 2nd 12, 06:54 AM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Jeff -- it sounds like you've made these before? Forgive me if I
should know this, I really don't follow this NG much. But I've had my
R for 5 years now and I need to either get this done or get rid of it.

Do you see this as a relatively easy DIY project? I've never worked
with laminate before. I have done some veneer work.

Terry
Hi Terry,

I looked for your email when you originally said you were interested in these kits but could not find it. The same situation occured when I looked for another person in this post that suggested that I save his Email for a time when I actually have kits available. I am not sure why Forum Member Email addresses are not available to me, maybe I have a limited membership.

Yes, I have done this quite a few times in the past and I really don't think its that big of a deal for the general Do It Yourselfer. Gluing the Laminate pieces is pretty easy if you take your time, but there is some dis-assembly of the cabinet involved prior to the laminating step.

Please feel free to call me next week if you would like to to discuss this in detail.

I live in Northern New Jersey and if you are also from NJ or closeby and you would like to stop by, I can show you in person exactly what needs to be done and how you need to do it.

P.S. I do not understand what you meant when you said in your last post: "I really don't follow this NG much"

Last edited by JeffP : December 2nd 12 at 07:01 AM.
Old December 2nd 12, 04:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

Default Seeburg HF100R DIY Cabinet Laminate Kits....

I live in Northern New Jersey and if you are also from NJ or closeby and
you would like to stop by, I can show you in person exactly what needs
to be done and how you need to do it.

P.S. I do not understand what you meant when you said in your last post:
"I really don't follow this NG much"

JeffP

Jeff -- I'm in Minnesota so a visit is unlikely, although the offer is
appreciated.

I read this newsgroup through Google groups, and I simply don't visit
it often - maybe once a week normally. I don't get an email digest.
That's all I meant.

On the other hand, I also read rec.antiques.radio+phono and I visit it
several times daily.

Let me know what laminate pattern you decide on to replace the burl.

Terry
Old December 2nd 12, 08:57 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
Hi Tony,

You are correct, the laminate will fit under the chrome Boomerangs as well as the Side Speakers, the Coin Return Cup and the Cash Box Door Trim. The laminate will go under the Cash Box door Trim, So to answer your question... Your Cash Box Door Trim will be completely visible.

The laminate will be 1/32 thick or 20 Mil. This is necessary as the 1/16 thick 10 Mil material that is generally used on countertops is too thick, especially for the Brown pieces when you apply heat to them in order to bend them around the lower front feet.

I will be building another jig in order to pre bend the 2 front Brown pieces. I know that this procedure is a difficult process for the general Do It Yourselfer and I feel that if I can pre bend them I can make the installation process a whole lot easier.

At this point, I have a total of 6 kits to make, 3 for me and 3 for 2 people in the group so this project is a go.... I should have something available in the next few weeks depending on availablity of the Brown Burl that I cannot seem to find at this time.

Thanks for the Great Questions...
I have a Correction to what I said previously:

The laminate will fit under the chrome Boomerangs as well as the Side Speakers and the Coin Return Cup as stated earlier with one exception.

The laminate will not go under the Cash Box Door Trim as stated earlier. Instead, it will be cut in such a fashion that will allow it to Butt up Flush with the Cash Box door Trim making the Cash Box door Trim appear to be recessed.
Old December 2nd 12, 09:52 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
[...]

Ha ha ha... "News Group".... That makes total sense now for "NG".... Thanks... I will keep you posted on the Burl I pick and I am also open to suggestions as well.
.
Old December 3rd 12, 03:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

JeffP wrote:
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the Formica 1136 Chestnut Burl has been discontinued and
I am currently looking for an alternative.

You do realize that you can order custom Formica made...you can get
exactly the burl and colour you want. You would only need a reasonable
number of kits to make this feasible.

http://www.formica.com.sg/custom-graphics

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Old December 3rd 12, 05:33 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson View Post
JeffP wrote:
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the Formica 1136 Chestnut Burl has been discontinued and
I am currently looking for an alternative.

You do realize that you can order custom Formica made...you can get
exactly the burl and colour you want. You would only need a reasonable
number of kits to make this feasible.

http://www.formica.com.sg/custom-graphics

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Thats interesting John....

I deal with a Formica Distributor called "Larkin" in Paramus NJ, I'll check with them and see if that is a possibility and if it is would it be cost effective. Thank you for the information... I would have never even thought that was possible
Old December 3rd 12, 08:41 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Junior Member

--
Jeff,

Count me in for one of the R kits. Keep me posted on the burl situation. I have two R's that I want to do this winter also. Will do one and see how it turns out. Thanks again. Bill

wmdjacobs at the america on the line
Old December 3rd 12, 09:20 PM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Jeff,

Count me in for one of the R kits. Keep me posted on the burl situation. I have two R's that I want to do this winter also. Will do one and see how it turns out. Thanks again. Bill

wmdjacobs at the america on the line
Hi Bill,

It's beginning to look like laminate made by Nevamar in the color Galloway Burl WZ0017T will be the next best substitute for the no longer available Formica 1136 Chestnut Burl unless someone else in this forum has a better suggestion.

I have my Laminate guy checking with his distributor on the availability and he should be getting back to me shortly.

If you Google Nevamar Galloway Burl WZ0017T you will see that it is a really nice looking substitute.
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffP : December 5th 12 at 01:24 AM.
Old December 12th 12, 04:33 AM
JeffP JeffP is offline
Member

Location: Ringwood NJ 07456

Here is an update,

I have finished making the 2 hardest wooden templates For the HR100R.

The White section is dead on accurate when compared with 2 of my HF100R’s jukeboxes especially in regards to the front edge where it meets the Brown and the Cash Box door Trim.

I think when you enlarge the photos of the cash box door trim section you will be pleasantly surprised on how nice and small the gap actually is between the trim and the White Laminate.

The Brown section is dead on accurate when compared to a late 1990’s leftover kit piece that I had laying around.

I still have to make a jig for the sections that go between the fluted glass pieces and the 2 little strips that go on the top of the Brown hockey sticks for lack of a better word

Hope you enjoy these pictures.
Talk to you soon.
Jeff P.
Attached Images

Old December 19th 12, 11:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

On Dec 11, 9:33*pm, JeffP wrote:
Here is an update,

I have finished making the 2 hardest wooden templates For the HR100R.

The White section is dead on accurate when compared with 2 of my
HF100R’s jukeboxes especially in regards to the front edge where it
meets the Brown and the Cash Box door Trim.

I think when you enlarge the photos of the cash box door trim section
you will be pleasantly surprised on how nice and small the gap actually
is between the trim and the White Laminate.

The Brown section is dead on accurate when compared to a late 1990’s
leftover kit piece that I had laying around.

I still have to make a jig for the sections that go between the fluted
glass pieces and the 2 little strips that go on the top of the Brown
hockey sticks for lack of a better word

Hope you enjoy these pictures.
Talk to you soon.
Jeff P.

|Filename: IMG_1156.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.collectingbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=263|

JeffP

Jeff, when do you anticipate kits will be available? I could start
taking apart my R, but I don't really want it spread out across the
basement for weeks :-)

Terry