"typical" Morgan dollar pricing?

Old July 26th 03, 05:35 AM
Yousri Ahmad

Default "typical" Morgan dollar pricing?

I think the best person to give the best advise is Mr. Eric Tillery
Here are some of his websites about Morgan Dollars.

Morgan Dollars for Sale:

http://www.k6az.com/inventory/morgan_sales.htm

A Close look at Accugrade:

http://www.k6az.com/acg.htm

My Morgan Collections:

http://www.k6az.com/collection/morgan_collection.htm

http://www.k6az.com/toned_collection/toned_morgans.htm

--
Yousri Ahmad
World Mints: http://yousri.home.comcast.net

"hollywood_steve" wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

I just received approximately 100 Morgan silver dollars (maybe a dozen
are Peace dollars) when we closed out my mother's safe deposit box
after she passed away. I will try to educate myself enough about
condition ratings and mint markings to spot any "collectible" coins;
but I want to get some feel for the value of average "non-collectible"
Morgan dollars. (I'm gonna start with the idea that I have a box of
only the most common, least remarkable coins.) If you read some the
"coins for dummies" types of books, they state a $12/ea. price for
silver dollars in average condition with no special rarity or other
desirable traits. But when I asked a dealer or two for the price of
"generic" Morgan dollars, they quoted "$6 on up" as the price.

Was the $12 figure from the books a "sell" price and the $6 figure a
"buy" price? Can anyone suggest an alternative figure that I should
have in mind for coins with no collectible value? Assuming no coins
with "extra desirability" what would be a fair price from a dealer for
100 Morgan dollars? $600?, $1000?, $1,200?, $1,500?, or more?

I realize that condition is a huge part of the valuation, but I'm just
looking for some kind of benchmark to help me evaluate the dealer's
offer. I'd really enjoy taking the time to learn enough about the
coins to be able to accurately price them myself; but there have been
many other unexpected demands on my time recently and I just want to
get some basic info that will help me make an informed decision.

Thank you.

Steve

Old July 26th 03, 04:31 PM
Harv

[...]

I've never looked through a copy of "Coins For Dummies" and don't plan to,
but The Red Book, which every US coin collector should have a copy of, lists
every US coin ever made, including dimensions, metallic specifications, and
so on, approximate retail prices broken down by grade, and is a bargain at
about $10.00 for the book. It is published every year and any coin shop or
bookstore should have it. The 2004 edition was just released. Get yourself a
copy.

Retail price is the price usually listed in such books. What the dealer is
offering you is his buy price which is typically 40% to 50% lower than how
much he would sell the same coin for. In other words, he might pay you $6.00
for a common date Morgan, stick it in a 2x2 or a flip, price it at $12.00
and put it in his display case. He's not a charity, so the difference in
price is his profit, and what he uses to pay the rent, the utilities,
employees, and so on..

This is just the way it works. If you sell to dealers, you can get faster
cash but less of it. If you sell it yourself, such as on eBay, you can
(often) get more, close to book retail prices, often higher, as various
series of coins go in and out of favor and fads..

But as you are aware, there are Morgan Dollars that are as common as dirt,
and there are Morgan Dollars that are worth hundreds, even many thousands of
dollars in "worn" condition.. so you need to know which is which and sift
through what you have before you skip down to Mr. Coin Dealer and throw a
box on his counter and take whatever he'll give you for them.. because if
mixed in with your common as dirt 1921 Dollars you happen to have an 1893-S
(THE Key Date) and don't notice it and he buys it off you for $6.00, after
you leave the store they'll be able to hear him laughing in Tibet..

So get a copy of The Red Book (A Guidebook Of United States Coins by R.S.
Yeoman) which is a much better investment than that Dummies book, and study
it. But be aware that books have a very long lead printing time, and that
the prices it shows for coins in various grades should be used to give you
an idea of the relative current retail price, not a number carved in stone.
Prices fluctuate constantly. Different coin series go through fads where
they are hot and then they are cold. The Key and Semi-Key date coins
(usually low mintage, expensive, in high demand).. almost always continue to
go up in price year after year. Right now, Carson City Morgan Dollars are
hot stuff, and prices are rising on them. They're the ones with a little
"CC" mintmark below the Eagle on the Reverse..

Lastly, if you do find that you have any Key or Semi-Key dates mixed in with
the common stuff, consider having them authenticated and slabbed. Key dates
are quite commonly made by evil people who alter common date coins by
changing their dates, adding or removing the mint mark, and other trickery..
and this has been going on for many decades..

Harv

Old July 27th 03, 02:21 AM
Gerry

Old July 27th 03, 02:21 AM
Gerry

methinks to expect about $135.00/roll 20

hollywood_steve wrote:

[...]

ATTENTION ANYONE WHO PARTICIPATES IN THE SIX DOLLAR LETTER Misty General 0 April 5th 04 12:23 AM
For Morgan Dollar experts /fans a Q GSA and non GSA Julia Alveres Coins 5 July 24th 03 12:04 AM
Value Guides Keith Tilley Coins 3 July 21st 03 07:50 AM
FS: 1895-O Morgan Dollar NGC AU50 BAJJERFAN Coins 0 July 15th 03 03:41 PM
morgan and peace dollars for sale Don Brandon Coins 0 July 12th 03 04:15 AM