45 RPM Mechanisms - Which ones were better?

Old December 30th 03, 05:13 PM
Ten--Pin-

As far as the actual Mechanisms are concerned, on machines built from
the early 60's and up, Rowe AMi to me, was always the most practical to
service on the location. The mech was self supporting so you could
remove it from the Jukebox Cabinet and set it on any flat surface to
work on it. Try doing that with a Rock-Ola or Wurli mech of similar
vintage.

All of them were designed and built to be very reliable for continuous
commercial service for an average lifespan of 10 to 15 years at which
time they can be considered commercially obsolete. That does not mean
however that they can go on for many more years in a more "retired"
eviornment such as a home or private club setting.

When Seeburg went out of business in the 70's I worked for an AMi
Distributor in a large market area. We also represented about 25
manufacturers of amusement and vending machines as well as Jukeboxes.
Many of our larger operator clients were heavy Seeburg users and they
knew they would have to change to AMi or Rock-Ola for their future
replacement and new location Jukeboxes. NSM was kind of a minority at
that time so it was really not that much of a competitor in our area ( a
good machine but most operators wanted main-stay machines ).

I was sent around to give sales and service seminars to our client
distributors to demonstrate just how easy a Rowe/Ami Mech is to service
right on the location. I would diss-ssemble a mech from a brand new
machine right in front of them, discuss the function of each
sub-assembly or individual part and what experiences I had with these
items in the field. The client Operators and their service people
believed in my service presentations as they knew I actually repaired
machines on location and on the bench in the shop and my presentations
were based on real life experience, not something scripted in a book as
many of the salesmans talks were derived from.
Meanwhile, our competitive Rock-la distributor started sending people
out to show Rock-Ola product to the same operators and their employees.
I think my presentations must have gone over better as more and more
Rowe/Ami machines rolled into locations when the Seeburgs were replaced.

I never claimed to "know Everything" nd if I could not come up with a
satisfactory answere at a presentation I would tell them I would find
out and get back to them, and I always did.

To this day, I still believe that the Rowe/Ami Mech was always the most
practical Mechanism to service, especially at the location where it
really counts ! Sure, parts would wear out and need replacing every so
often. There was always an illusive problem that would occour now and
then but if you knew the operating system and the Mech,more times than
not it was not a big deal.

The Seeburg Mechs were well built and durable as well but to me their
machines were over engineered, overdesigned and the mech in many cases
seemed impractical to service on location, and I did work on many of
them. Roc-Olas were simpler than Seeburgs although they were not easily
removed from the cabinet and set on a small coctail table in a location
to work on. I never did much with Wurli's or NSM although I thought NSM
was a decent machine with good sound.

Those in the business of servicing commercially operated Jukeboxes will
hae varying opinions and reflections of working on the various makes and
mech. models. For me, it was Rowe/Ami for fast and easiest service on
location and thats where it counts the most !

Old December 31st 03, 02:07 AM
Ken G.

No the 1250 does not leave records spinning on the way back to the tray
The idler wheel moves away and the wheel that runs against it moves
down & away from the idler . during all that the record has plenty of
time to stop way before it hits even the top tray .