Old problem new twist ---SPS160

Old November 27th 04, 04:27 AM
Craig Bellamy

Default Old problem new twist ---SPS160

Working on a SPS160-- does the Scan to select then return without playing
onto next selection repeat. I have come across this a few times before
answer was either Cam switch adjustment (MB, V contacts) or record trip
switch. After checking these to be ok, I unplugged machine and tripped
mechanism to play manually and got the same result -picks up record, mounts
it then immediately returns it to rack then goes to scan. Clutch looks ok, I
oil it with no success. Seems to be binding somewhere. Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks, Craig

Old November 27th 04, 06:57 PM
Jim Murphy

Havent done one of these in a while but I seem to remember that there is a
blade switch in the stack that is not opening properly. Possibly the reverse
switch as well. Have you checked these circuits for proper alignment etc?
Jim

Old November 27th 04, 09:25 PM
Craig Bellamy

Would any switches have anything to do with this if it occurs when I put
the machine thru it's cycle manually without any current--plug pulled
out-mechanism won't stay in play mode?
I have re adjusted entire cam switch as I have always done. I'll check the
reverse switch after dinner but don't quite understand why it happens
without currant. I thought if it doesn't use power switches don't play in
the problem. Maybe I'm off base with that assumption!
Craig

Old November 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Jim Murphy

If it is mechanically tripping with no power to the system then you have
something out of adjustment or binding. If you watch closely as you turn the
motor shaft or flywheel you should be able to see what is causing the trip
lever to flip up. It has been a while since I have been in one of these but
it should have a catch or notch that it stops in until the trip lever is
activated either manually or by the trip solenoid. What happens if you hold
the trip lever down as it is finishing the clamping operation? Also, doesn't
the motor turn around after clamping the record to play it? When you are
mechanically operating it are you turning the motor the other way after
clamping? If not I think you are simply re-entering the cycle to put the
record back. I am talking out loud now but his seems right. You may just
force me to dig one of these out of storage and take alook at it. Then I
will have to sell it becase anything that comes out of storage gets sold
these days. Jim

Old November 30th 04, 03:22 PM
Charley

Listen to see if the trip solenoid is actuating immmediately after the
record is mounted. If it is you have an electrical problem and you should
follow the other recomendations in this thread. If not, the clutch is
sticking.

--
Charley

Old November 30th 04, 09:05 PM
Rob

Hi Craig,
I may be off-base here, but from what you are describing, and what
follow-ups "aren't" saying, you could possibly have a problem with
your "safety plunger" sticking. It's to the rear of the mechanism...
look for the "hook" and the plunger underneath it..sometimes they
"stick" and need oiling. It's a safety procedure designed to keep the
mechanism from scanning if a "warped" record (theoretically) is
brought up to play, and doesn't quite clear the magazine and get
clamped properly.
I have encountered this a number of times with my Seeburgs....if this
is the cause, it will still reject without any power applied, because
it is not an electrical problem, but a "mechanical" problem with
regards to the record, magazine, and ability to clamp the record
properly. It was designed to prevent the mechanism from continuing to
scan when a record was not right, and thus "break" record or
additional records while scanning. Rob

--
Charley

Old December 1st 04, 06:08 AM
Craig Bellamy

I found the answer! First I found a 'quick cure' by readjusting the detent
locking to it's lowest limit permitting the release leaver to go into the
'play' notch on the clutch shifting cam. I realized this could not have gone
that far out of adjustment and this was a quick fix. Searching further I
went and found the real cure in a great new manual by Ron Rich called the
SEEBURG MECHANISM GUIDE. In plain English he explained this symptom being
the result of a 'frozen clutch yoke pivot shaft' which goes thru the frame
of the clutch housing and is used to control detenting and clutch operation
requiring removal of the clutch. Sure enough that was it. I suggest anyone
working with any Seeburg mechanism to look into this great little manual. I
owe you one Rick--Thanks!
Craig