Rowe R83 mech adjusting problem

Old January 9th 06, 02:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default Rowe R83 mech adjusting problem

HI- I have a R83 that has given me some trouble for a while. When I
bought this juke a while ago, it had a striped tooth on the carosel
asy, wich I replaced. This ment a complete tear down( of corse ! ) of
the mech asy.

I have a manual, and went thrugh all the nessacery adjustments, etc..

Tha main problem is that when it picks up a record, it seems to slam
the 45 down a bit hard on the TT platter. When the record is done
playing, it picks it off the TT ok, but seems to have a slight delay
when the gripper arm puts the record back in to the carosel asy.

Also the tone arm seems to swing into place slightly before it is
supposed to, bumping the record gripper arm. I have gotten it to stop
that,Almost!!

Anyway, I have spent hours & hours trying to get the slack out of this
thing, when I seem to get some of the slack out of it, then the tone
arm gwets out of adjustment, so start all over again reseting all the
adjustments, but it never get's "smooth operation" like I think it
should. I have older Rowe's and a R88 that work flawlesly. So I know
this is not proper operation.

What the heck can I be missing, or doing wrong ?

Thanks for any advice, Dennis.

Old January 9th 06, 08:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Check the slotted inner cam surface of the metal plate that follows the cam
post comming off the output shaft of the Transfer Motor, make sure it is not
bent or broken which could have happened if there were a severe jam.
Occasionally these posts would wear loose from the crank arm they are
attached to. This vertical cam driven metal plate is what controls the
movement of the dhaft that rotates the gripper gears and also the Tone Arm
cam. Since both of your problems are related it is most likely in this
area. The vertical moving metal plate has a nylon guide at the bottom of it
so if you have to dissassemble anything make sure you do not break the nylon
guide at the bottom of the metal plate. Removal of the Transfer Motor
assembly may be necessary to fully inspect the cam followers on the V shaped
piece attached to the output shaft of the transfer motor assy. If bent or
loose this would cause sluggish operation of the gripper and / or slamming
of the records as they approach the turntable.
ups.com...

Old January 11th 06, 02:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

HI- well I have had that cam and plate apart before, i kind of thought
that there was somthing missing on the crank arm, but it looks ok. I
had a parts donor that i looked at but it looked the same.

It seems like this is where the problem might be, i only say that
because that's the only place I see "pause" in any of the action! the
rollers do not touch any part of the plate asy , for about the same
time ther is a "pause" in the transfer arm,etc..I actually thought
there was a roller or somthing missing on the crank arm.

I am going to pull the transfer motor off this time,and have a look at
it again this week end.
The plate looks straight, and the rollers seem ok.

It's kind of like if I get the transfer arm to work properly, then the
tone arm movement is way, way off when it comes off it's cam-spring
asy.and bumps the record or transfer arm.

Thanks-Dennis.

Old January 13th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

It could be that the crank arm has some "play" on the motor shaft. The tone
arm may have been re-adjusted at some time to compensate for other worn or
bad parts. Check the tone arm cam adjustment, make sure the " Wave Washers
are in place to the right of the tone arm cam. Then go thru the tone arm
adjustments once you get the record slamming problem fixed, if you find
anything wrong. Check the cam surface inside of the metal plate also.

also check the tone arm clearance adjustment so that the bottom of the
cartridge "just" clears the black cam surface that it passes over when the
gripper is on the left side of the record in the play position. .

It seems tone arm adjustments always seemed to be a target for people to
mis-adjust .

Good Luck
oups.com...

Old January 21st 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Hi- I checked the crank arm and rollers for play, it is tight and
dosn't slip on the shaft. I rechecked the tone arm clearance, it does
just miss the black plastic on the gripper when it sets down.
The wave washers are all in place too.

I think I have to pull the whole mech asy back out and put it on the
bench again. I am getting good at that!

Dennis

..

Old January 23rd 06, 09:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

If the tone arm seems a bit out of sync with the rest of the mechanism,
chech the tone arm cam positioning adjustment. It may also be possible that
one of the gripper gears may be one tooth off or the " segment gear " may be
one tooth off in rotating the shaft that drives both the gripper and tone
arm operation.

.

Old January 23rd 06, 09:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Fortunately for you, AMi is an easy mech to remove from the cabinet and put
on the bench compared to some other jukeboxes. If the tone arm seems a bit
out of sync with the rest of the mech. check the positioning adjustment for
the " tone arm cam " . From an earlier description where you mentioned the
" keeper spring " ( thin metal curved piece of springy metal on the left
side of the cam ) is ok. It may be possible that at some time someone
dissasembled the gripper gears and may haev one of them one tooth off. The
same situation could apply to the " segment gear " that drives the shaft
that operates the gripper AND the tone arm.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

OK, that is somthing for me to check into. It will have to wait untill
we get home, as were on a road trip now in Phoenix.(picking up another
juke there !)

It's very possible that it could be off a tooth, as when I first got
this juke, it was breaking records when it was scanning, or putting a
record back in the carosel.

Everything way out of adjustment when I first powered it up.

I'll Keep you posted on the results, Thanks Dennis.