Opinions on cashing out some silver

Old February 12th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Opinions on cashing out some silver

On Feb 12, 10:09*am, "PC" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

I must agree with RF that the crap coming out of Washington will be
very inflationary. *With a Democratic President and Democratic
Congress for the first time since James Earl Carter, Jr., it is now
Christmas morning for the Democrats. *As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

Considering the wonderful job the Republicans have done if your doom and
gloom is true then it is already hopeless.

Yep, we should be eternally grateful for the complete control that
Dumbya and his minions had for 6 years so that they could bless us
with an endless, meaningless trillion dollar war and a bankrupt
country.

Now, thanks to the Republican insistance on even more "tax cuts" in
order to pass the stimulus package, the goobermint is probably going
to give out another round of free $600 checks so that all the losers
out there can stock up on beer, weed, meth, cigarettes and video games
again. Yippppeeeeee!!
Old February 12th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A You

Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.
Thoughts?

I would sell gold as gold is up on a currency panic but as bad as things
are...faith in currencies can return.

I would hold silver, palladium, and platinum as demand for commodites can
return in 3 to 5 years. In fact copper and steel can regain some with
planned government infrastructure projects.

Of course with all metals low margin mines are on hold and so there is some
pullback in supply along with the loss of demand.

If you must sell your silver then buy something very low. So that would be
stocks or real estate or out-of-favor currencies.

Or put your funds into a forex futures account with 100 to 1 leverage.
Because the major currencies are just taking turns going in and out-of-favor
against each other. Or the currencies of countries with small trade deficits
are very strong but then they do get too strong at times...

Old February 13th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 12, 2:28*pm, wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:09*am, "PC" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

again. *Yippppeeeeee!!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, and we should be grateful for how strongly and adeptly Nancy
Pelosi, Barney Frank et al opposed the Bushies for the last two years.
especially on the TARP I deal.

oly
Old February 13th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 12:09 pm, "PC" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary
nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

I must agree with RF that the crap coming out of Washington will be
very inflationary. With a Democratic President and Democratic
Congress for the first time since James Earl Carter, Jr., it is now
Christmas morning for the Democrats. As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

Considering the wonderful job the Republicans have done if your doom
and
gloom is true then it is already hopeless.

Again, optimism is the mania for declaring all is well, when all is
going very badly. And, it is the Democorps that is lined up at the
trough now.

Conversely, pessimism is a defense mechanism when one's own views and
theories are not standing up well in the current situation. Neither
is inherently right or wrong.

Someone once observed that the difference between an optimist and a
pessimist is that the optimist thinks we are living in the best of all
possible worlds, and the pessimist fears that he's right.

IMO, in the optimist/pessimist discussions here WRT PM prices, the
opposing players are playing on different playing fields. oly et al.
foresee a coming wave of debt-funded spending that will cause a lot of
investment money to be shifted to stable or rising havens like PMs.
They undoubtedly are right. Others (and I am in this camp) wouldn't
deny this phenomenon, we're just focused more on the long run, which
historically always continues to rise unless and until something
really catastrophic comes along to really break the empire or the
market or the system. The two views are not incompatible because
they're actually philosophical differences between apples and oranges.

If you want to say that I'm playing ostrich to a coming massive
breakdown that will really wreck the system, well, I'll plead guilty.
I can get up and function every morning knowing that the dollar will
fall and gold will rise. I can't build my life around a certitude
that some morning during my lifetime, the whole thing will come
crashing down on our heads.

Being a reasonably sane and alert person, I make a few basic
preparations to defend myself against both the coming short-term and
hypothetical major long-term downturns. Some pertain to investing,
but if the really big balloon ever goes up, I'll be focused more on
keeping my firearms oiled, ammo and food stocks on hand, and having a
few contingency escape plans sketched out.

Old February 13th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 4:46 pm, "RWF" wrote:
Christmas morning for the Democrats. As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

PM s? What is that?

Old February 13th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 13, 11:03*am, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Feb 12, 12:09 pm, "PC" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

few contingency escape plans sketched out.- Hide quoted text -

One of the big attractions of coin collecting, for me, is how all the
various coins, medals and paper money readily illustrate history. And
there is nothing in the history of paper money and paper money regimes
that is very reassuring. Nothing at all.

The present pounds and pence of the United Kingdom/ Bank of England
are the longest/ eldest lived paper currency still in existence (from
the 1790s, MOL), and the present day pound is about 1/100th of its
pre-1914 value. The present U.S. Dollar must be in second place for
longevity (from the Civil War), and it is 1/20th of its pre-1913
value. Probably 90% of the paper money systems ever established/ the
paper money ever issued, by all countries in the world, is worthless
today.

I agree that you and I are on different wavelengths and I understand
the desire for the status quo to be maintained, but we are at a moment
in time where I see great discontinuities on the immediate horizon. I
feel that we will go through the wringer like the USSR did between
1989-1995. I don't expect complete collapse, but I would be (am I am)
preparing for problems, and generally agree with the Dmitry Orlov
proposition that America will be much more vulnerable than the
Russkies were. I feel that many of my friends are vulnerable and wish
that they had more PMs (precious metals) squirreled away than they do.

oly
Old February 13th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"oly" wrote in message

that they had more PMs (precious metals)

Thanks!

-should have guessed

Old February 13th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

On Feb 12, 12:09 pm, "PC" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Again, a valid but long-term observation. All good things must come
to an end, the only questions are when, and how soon will you be able
to see it coming? How long did it take for the citizens of Rome to
realize that the party was over? Prior to the collapse of the empire
they had many major ups and downs and betting the farm that the latest
one was "The End" would have been a bad wager, both economically and
politically.

I agree that you and I are on different wavelengths and I understand

the desire for the status quo to be maintained, but we are at a moment
in time where I see great discontinuities on the immediate horizon. I
feel that we will go through the wringer like the USSR did between
1989-1995. I don't expect complete collapse, but I would be (am I am)
preparing for problems, and generally agree with the Dmitry Orlov
proposition that America will be much more vulnerable than the
Russkies were. I feel that many of my friends are vulnerable and wish
that they had more PMs (precious metals) squirreled away than they do.

So to paraphrase the old joke about self-prostitution, we've already
establish what we are, we're just haggling over price, timing, and
other details. ;-)

I just came into some unexpected money, will probably invest in a
dozen or two pieces "just in case" as soon as I find a source that
won't scalp me too badly over melt. The odds of losing significantly
in the short term are relatively small and I figure that I can turn a
buck or two if I don't get greedy and hang on too long.

Old February 13th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"oly" wrote in message

On Feb 12, 12:09 pm, "PC" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

buck or two if I don't get greedy and hang on too long.- Hide quoted text -

I just bought 14 JM "flats" today from the big local dealer. Somebody
sold 20 of them to him at 10 A.M. and all are gone by noon. The rest
of what he has is American Silver Eagles (with a bigger premium). He
does have a few American Gold Eagles 1 oz. dated 2009 - the first in
stock since Oct or Nov....

oly
Old February 13th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"PC" wrote in message

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 4:46 pm, "RWF" wrote:
Christmas morning for the Democrats. As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

PM s? What is that?

A typo for PMS? :-)

Cashing in on the hype PC[_2_] Coins 22 March 16th 07 03:57 AM
Opinions Wanted 1992 Silver Eagle with Toning Tina Coins 6 May 31st 06 11:45 AM
opinions. advice sought on the value of silver melt value....... Gary Loveless Coins 5 October 2nd 05 11:38 PM
Collectors cashing in on numismatic hobby stonej Coins 1 July 16th 05 04:45 PM
Yet another old woman cashing in silver for face story.. Harv Coins 2 August 9th 03 06:06 AM