"They'll be worth something someday"

Old May 16th 05, 07:05 PM
A You

I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.
One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.
It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

Well, consider a stock held the past 40 years. If all it did was keep up
with inflation but without any tax due then it has not made a millionaire
but yet it is a very impressive chunk of value...Along those lines you need
$10,000 worth of the targeted collectable not just a few items.

Actually, I think $2 bills in uncirculated condition are very sharp. Also
look for exponents of Mersenne primes as serial numbers of uncirculated $2
bills !

Also, I think modern coins need an edge such as the proof versions or
versions mint packaged as uncirculated or first day strike versions...

Old May 16th 05, 08:10 PM
Anita

On 16 May 2005 08:55:05 -0700, "Slopoet17" wrote:
But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues...

Talking of nickels. I went to the bank today and on a whim bought
rolls of cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I'm not normally a roll
searcher, but I felt like it today.

Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?

I hope I don't discover the other denominations are uncirculated coins
that may be worth something one day.

Anita
Old May 16th 05, 08:26 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:51:12 GMT, Anita wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:46:22 GMT, Paul Anderson
It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I tend to think this way, too, Paul. I tend to think that something I
don't see every day will be worth something one day. The thinking is
probably true, but now I have to add that I probably won't be around
when that day comes.

She who recently cashed in $300 of circulated state quarters. They
would be worth something *some*day :- Anita

My stepfather bought an uncirculated roll of 1968-S Lincoln cents when
they were issued. This year and mint had the lowest mintage number of
any date from 1958 until the present, excluding proofs.

Today, these are worth less than the 1968-P cents which had five times
the mintage numbers, and they are worth about the same as any of the
later common dates. Were the 1968-P's melted down or something??

He died in 1996. But I'm still waiting, because "some day, I *know*
they'll be worth something".

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old May 16th 05, 10:18 PM
Jim Wild

You wanna really cause some confusion, spend a Kennedy half sometime.
"Is this 50 cents?" "No it's 5 dollars, now give me my burger."

I don't mean to judge, but you were dealing with fast food employees. My
opinion of them sinks lower everyday.

Heck, the golden dollar will throw most of them into confusion. I've
spent some garbage like no date Buffaloes and a few extra Franklins for
the heck of it. You are right, it is in fact amusing sometimes.

To be fair, many people don't have an interest in coins and are
fascinated by different things that they have never seen before. But of
coarse, Hardee's and McDonald's fills a nitch by employing the lesser of
the species.

No offense to anyone unless you work at the Hardee's at 912 Merrimac
trail, then you are indeed an idiot.

Jim

Old May 16th 05, 11:20 PM
Vector

On 16 May 2005 08:37:43 -0700, "stonej"
said:

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles
Old May 17th 05, 01:28 AM
stonej

Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Old May 17th 05, 01:31 AM
Scott Drummond

"Vector" wrote in message

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles

A couple of years ago when I heard that some people actually collected the
things, I put a lot of 10 different AOL floppies up for auction on eBay.

The winning bid was over $100.00.

Old May 17th 05, 01:56 AM
linxlvr

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:18:42 -0400, Jim Wild wrote:

You wanna really cause some confusion, spend a Kennedy half sometime.
"Is this 50 cents?" "No it's 5 dollars, now give me my burger."

I don't mean to judge, but you were dealing with fast food employees. My
opinion of them sinks lower everyday.

Heck, the golden dollar will throw most of them into confusion. I've
spent some garbage like no date Buffaloes and a few extra Franklins for
the heck of it. You are right, it is in fact amusing sometimes.

To be fair, many people don't have an interest in coins and are
fascinated by different things that they have never seen before. But of
coarse, Hardee's and McDonald's fills a nitch by employing the lesser of
the species.

No offense to anyone unless you work at the Hardee's at 912 Merrimac
trail, then you are indeed an idiot.

Jim

A) I do not work at fast food services.
B) How hard would you work for someone who thinks they are king because
they flipped enough burgers to be manager, and think you should be a slave
to them for minimum wage and no benefits.

summary: just like expecting an XF trade dollar for 50.00..... it ain't
happening. the burger king managers are being given exactly what they are
paying for.
--
dw

Old May 17th 05, 02:04 AM
Vector

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:31:15 -0600, "Scott Drummond"
said:

"Vector" wrote in message
.. .

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles

A couple of years ago when I heard that some people actually collected the
things, I put a lot of 10 different AOL floppies up for auction on eBay.

The winning bid was over $100.00.

Jimminy!! Ten bucks apiece? Wow ... I am surprised!
What versions were yours?
I suppose if someone was inclined to build a collection, and they
didn't have a v2.50 .... hmmmm
I wouldn't have any problem parting with those disks for a ten spot
apiece. I'll have to dig them up and see how they are cosmetically.
Old May 17th 05, 02:34 AM
Bruce Remick

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

Hey, it's hard to blame people when they see cereal boxes, coffee cans, Sears
catalogs, etc. that they remember using selling at premiums to collectors.
Putting away a few $2 bills won't break anyone's bank. I still have some I put
away, along with Barr and Kabis/Kennedy $1 notes that I was SURE would really be
worth something one day. Lessee, that's about 35 years gone by now. Wonder
what a dealer would offer for those bills today? I don't have another 35
years.

Bruce