NEWS: New ANA Executive Director Resigns After One Month

Old April 1st 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default NEWS: New ANA Executive Director Resigns After One Month

NEW A. N. A. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESIGNS

APRIL 1, 2008: Colorado Springs, Colorado (API)
The American Numismatic Association has announced that newly-hired
Executive Director Larry Shepard has resigned after less than a month
on the job. In a tersely worded press release, it was claimed that
Shepard had "irreconcilable differences" with the ANA facilities, and
had returned to his former position as a high-profile coin dealer.

Contacted at his Cincinnati, OH office, Shepard explained the reasons
for his abrupt departure. "When I was interviewed by 'Numismatic
News' just after taking the job", Shepard said, "I stated that I was
'scared' about the new position. That quickly turned to 'terrified' once
I moved into the ANA headquarters a few weeks later. The facility
is HAUNTED! The first day in my office, when I opened a small closet
to hang up my sports coat, a short, dark-haired woman handed me a
piece of paper, said "You are served!", and DEMATERIALIZED! My
secretary, running into the office to see why I was screaming, calmly
told me that this was 'just the Ghost of Peggy Hoffman', who had
been haunting the ANA building for several years. She said that most
of the female ANA staff were 'served' by Hoffmann once a week or
so, normally in the ladies bathroom."

"A few hours later", Shepard continued, "I was getting some coffee
to calm my nerves when the box of sugar substitute moved across
the table by itself, keeping itself a few inches ahead of my grasp.
ANA staff member Penny Nichols, also getting some coffee at the same
time, explained that this was 'just the Ghost of Glenn Smedley' moving
the box, as he was a 'real kidder' during his time on the ANA staff."

"The last straw, however", Shepard expanded, "was when the ANA
custodian, Flor duCoin, came into my office to clean. She studiously
avoided touching the visitor's chair in front of my desk. When I asked
why, she said that the Ghost of George Heath was sleeping in it, and
she did not want to disturb him. Just then, a tremendous belch echoed
throughout the room, and Flor smiled. 'I keep telling him not to have
the pastrami sandwich for lunch', she chuckled, 'but he never listens!'.
"Needless to say", Shepard concluded, "I immediately cleaned out my
desk and caught the next flight back to Ohio".

ANA President Barry Stuppler expressed his dismay with the situation.
"I thought that Larry could work around these minor inconveniences",
Stuppler stated, "as all of his predecessors have managed to do.
Especially since we had finally exorcised the Ghost Of N. Neil Harris,
who had been inserting typographical errors into memos, documents
and 'Numismatist' articles for the past fifteen years! Neil, by the
way, was the one who dropped the 'The' from 'The Numismatist' one
month, and the Board was so embarrassed by that that we passed a
resolution claiming that it was a planned change".

When asked about plans for a new Executive Director, Stuppler
explained that a new process was underway. "Since our last few
choices have been somewhat unsuccessful", he explained, "the
Board decided to take a new approach. We've asked the heirs of
the Lewis M. Reagan estate to have Arizona Cryogenics unthaw
him to serve as Executive Director for the next several years.
Reagan was ANA Secretary from 1944 to 1961, a position that
has since been renamed Executive Director, and is probably quite
familiar with most of the Ghosts who currently inhabit the building.
It may in fact be sort of an 'Old Home Week' kind of atmosphere
with George Heath, Frank Duffield, Farran Zerbe and Oscar Dodson
showing up a few times per week."

When asked about the status of former Executive Director Christopher
Cipoletti, Stuppler paled. "We haven't been able to contact him in quite
a while. We heard that he changed his name to Christopher Chipotle,
moved to Washington State and became Director of Sauces for Jack In
The Box Corporation, but have been unable to confirm that rumor."

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old April 1st 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
[...]

This is how far I got before I realized that we'd been had. Good one, Ken!

James

Old April 1st 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
NEW A. N. A. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESIGNS

APRIL 1, 2008: Colorado Springs, Colorado (API)
The American Numismatic Association has announced that newly-hired
Executive Director Larry Shepard has resigned after less than a month
on the job. In a tersely worded press release, it was claimed that
Shepard had "irreconcilable differences" with the ANA facilities, and
had returned to his former position as a high-profile coin dealer.

Contacted at his Cincinnati, OH office, Shepard explained the reasons
for his abrupt departure. "When I was interviewed by 'Numismatic
News' just after taking the job", Shepard said, "I stated that I was
'scared' about the new position. That quickly turned to 'terrified' once
I moved into the ANA headquarters a few weeks later. The facility
is HAUNTED!

My catching-on point. Excellent.

Bill

Old April 1st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall

These get better and better every year. Have you heard about the discovery
of gold on Mars by one of the rovers? Gold dropped almost $40 an ounce when
that news broke.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Old April 1st 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:22:56 -0400, "Dr. Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

These get better and better every year. Have you heard about the discovery
of gold on Mars by one of the rovers? Gold dropped almost $40 an ounce when
that news broke.

Hmm. If that were true and if someone could get to Mars and back for
$500 million, they would need to bring back over 35,000 pounds just to
break even, with gold at $884 an oz.

Probaboly better to bring back a few Mars rocks. Those would likely
fetch more at auction.

Old April 1st 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"Ken Barr" wrote in message

[...]

408-272-3247 * * * * * *Next show: *Santa Clara 04/10-13 w/Mac's Coins- Hide quoted text -

Have you heard that NASA is going to shut down the two Mars Rovers
over a measly $2 million??? These two machines have been NASA's
biggest successes in decades (they have lasted at least 12 times as
long as originally projected and the photos and other data are
incredible), but stupid is as stupid does.

AND THAT folks, IS NOT an April Fools joke.

oly
Old April 1st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dave a

[...]

But it is old news. They have since changed their mind.
Old April 1st 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"Ken Barr" wrote in message

[...]

But it is old news. *They have since changed their mind.- Hide quoted text -

Glad to hear that.

oly
Old April 2nd 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall

"Ken Barr" wrote in message

NEW A. N. A. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESIGNS

APRIL 1, 2008: Colorado Springs, Colorado (API)
The American Numismatic Association has announced that newly-hired
Executive Director Larry Shepard has resigned after less than a month
on the job. In a tersely worded press release, it was claimed that
Shepard had "irreconcilable differences" with the ANA facilities, and
had returned to his former position as a high-profile coin dealer.

Have you heard that NASA is going to shut down the two Mars Rovers
over a measly $2 million??? These two machines have been NASA's
biggest successes in decades (they have lasted at least 12 times as
long as originally projected and the photos and other data are
incredible), but stupid is as stupid does.

AND THAT folks, IS NOT an April Fools joke.

***
Yes, I had heard that but I think it has been rethought and now they are
going to keep them going.

They also were talking about shutting down the Hubble Telescope but I think
that's been shelved also. The Hubble has also been a huge success and
probably can continue to be for a long time.

Personally, I think they should spend much more money on science and much
less money bailing out incompetent bankers and fighting useless wars.

More gold coins for science is my motto.

--
Richard
Http://www.richlh.com/