Removing an inscription from book

Old April 12th 05, 10:56 AM
Concrete Cow

Default Removing an inscription from book

Hi , is it possible to remove an inscription from the front page of a book ,
it was written in fountain pen ink and seems very light.

Old April 12th 05, 01:21 PM
Bud Webster

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:56:20 +0000 (UTC), "Concrete Cow"
concrete.cow(remove wrote:

Hi , is it possible to remove an inscription from the front page of a book ,
it was written in fountain pen ink and seems very light.

I suppose you could, given time and effort and the right chemical or
abrasive. I suspect you'd end up doing more damage to the book than
the ink itself represents, though, especially if the inscription is a
long one.

Why bother? Leave it as is, or look for an unmarked copy at
addall.com.
Old April 12th 05, 02:41 PM
RW Julian

If the paper is thick and the inscription not too heavy, I apply Scotch
tape to the area and then pull
it off. Some paper is removed but at the same time the unwanted ink goes
with it.

RW Julian

Old April 12th 05, 03:29 PM
John Pelan

concrete.cow(remove wrote:

Hi , is it possible to remove an inscription from the front page of a book ,
it was written in fountain pen ink and seems very light.

Hardly worth the trouble or damage to the book. You can probable eface
it with light rubbing of an artgum eraser, but unless the inscription
is somewhat odious in nature, I'd leave it alone.

Of course, our own Bleach-bottle Bill Palmjob would disagree...

Cheers,

John
Old April 12th 05, 03:48 PM
Al Smith

Hi , is it possible to remove an inscription from the front page of a book ,
it was written in fountain pen ink and seems very light.

If it is faded ink, and hasn't penetrated too deeply into the
paper, and if the paper is thick and of good quality, you can
abrade it away with a good eraser. Not an ink eraser which is too
harsh, but a specialized eraser pen with those white eraser
sticks. You have to be extremely patient and to rub gently over
and over in all directions, crossing your strokes. There is always
the danger that you will chew a hole right through the paper, however.

I've had poor success using bleach to remove ink. It will fade the
ink to a pale shadow of itself through repeated careful
applications with a Q-tip, but the ink seldom goes completely
away, so you are not much further ahead. One dodge I used on a
really ugly scrawl with a broad felt-tipped marker on the inside
back cover of a very nice book I got (Francis Barrett's The Magus,
facsimile reproduction, numbered edition) was to put an attractive
and thematically appropriate plate over the writing.
Old April 12th 05, 04:06 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Al Smith wrote:

I've had poor success using bleach to remove ink. It will fade the
ink to a pale shadow of itself through repeated careful
applications with a Q-tip, but the ink seldom goes completely
away, so you are not much further ahead.

Not only that, but the bleach plays havoc with the fibers in the paper
and over time may destroy the page.

I like the other suggestion of covering an unsightly (and ONLY
unsightly) inscription with a tasteful & appropriate bookplate.
Old April 13th 05, 04:10 AM
Mike Baker

Fountain pen ink? Sure go ahead and ruin your book. Anyone know how to
remove the stripes from a zebra without doing them any harm? Next dumbass
question!

Hi , is it possible to remove an inscription from the front page of a book

,
it was written in fountain pen ink and seems very light.

Old April 13th 05, 07:52 PM
The People's Poet

michael adams wrote:
"Mike Baker" wrote in message

Anyone know how to remove the stripes from a zebra without
doing them any harm?

Yup. Dye their hair black all over

The roots need retouching around every two months.

Hth

michael adams

A little tip:

Not only was that cringemakingly unfunny, but even a frequently truant
school-child would know that zebras have fur rather than hair.

Some zebras have a mane of hair and a tail, but the white and black
stuff on their bodies that you are talking about dyeing is actually
known by the technical name of "fur".

It helps to get your facts right before commenting on such issues.
Unless you want to make a zebra's a**e of yourself.

TPP

Old April 13th 05, 08:55 PM
The People's Poet

You omit to mention that in websites devoted to the zebra, the downy
growth covering their bodies is referred to as fur, whereas the spikier
stuff growing on their manes and tails is quite distinctly referred to
as hair. Hence the fact that the anti-fur campaigners target - yupp,
you've guessed it - people who wear zebra fur.

As for horsehair, any fool knows that this refers to the hair found
growing on both mane and tail. You try painting with anything else from
a horse's fur / hair / skin covering and then come back here to tell us
how you got on.

Only last week you were left with egg on your face after trying to
disagree with my contention that it would be unwise to poll a packed
pub of West Africans about whether they minded being called 'sambo'
(when somebody else asked whether the term was deemed offensive). Not
content with screwing up then, it would appear that you are playing the
*rear* end of the pantomine horse.

Face it Adams, you've scored two stunning own goals. It happens to us
all at some time or other. I suggest you have the good grace to admit
it and then move on.

People's Poet
(Never for one moment expecting Adams to show good grace or humility)

Old April 14th 05, 12:03 AM
The People's Poet

Whatever.