historic currency equivalence

Old September 26th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default historic currency equivalence

Some time ago someone -- IIRC it was Blair -- posted a url where one could
compare today's currencies to historic ones, for example, how many 1920
Argentine pesos equated to today's 1000 Argentine pesos? I remember noting
down the url but I can't seem to find it. I tried using postal rates for
ordinary letters (1905 and 2005) for comparison but it doesn't make any
sense at all. If anyone remembers the url, could you please repost? TIA.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old September 26th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin, that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know when
this might have taken place?

Mette

Old September 26th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Mette" wrote in message
k...
Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin, that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know
when this might have taken place?

Turkey is not a member of the EU, and its road to becoming one is very
difficult..

A list of members can be found he
http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/eumembers.htm

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old September 26th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jan Doggen

Hi Mette

Turkey does not have the Euro, very strange.
Can you post a scan?

Thanks
Jan

"Mette" schreef in bericht
k...

Old September 26th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Tollan

Tony:
Try
http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies...t/howmuch.html
and
http://www.measuringworth.com/

John

Tony Vella wrote:
Some time ago someone -- IIRC it was Blair -- posted a url where one
could compare today's currencies to historic ones, for example, how
many 1920 Argentine pesos equated to today's 1000 Argentine pesos? I
remember noting down the url but I can't seem to find it. I tried using
postal rates for ordinary letters (1905 and 2005) for comparison but it
doesn't make any sense at all. If anyone remembers the url, could you
please repost? TIA.

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")
Old September 27th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Mette.

Turkey is not officially part of the EU - their application was submitted in
2004, if I remember correctly, and at the time it was estimated it would
take ten years for a final decision. The Cyprus situation, I believe, was
mentioned as a stumbling block. I read somewhere that many "Turkish Euros"
were made privately as trial balloons, but I have no idea by whom.
Probably this is what you got your hands on. Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

k...

Old September 27th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sep 26, 1:55*pm, "Mette" wrote:
Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin, that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know when
this might have taken place?

Mette

Unofficial Patterns
On a number of previous occasions, especially before major coinage
changes, pattern coins have been produced as a design exercise or
to test public opinion. Many of these have been privately produced.

A privately produced pattern set of British euro coins has already
been produced, and met with intense demand, despite almost
negligible marketing. Original priced at around €40, these have
changed hands for over €250 on e-bay.

We have not yet seen any suggested designs for Turkish
euro coins, but... Watch this space!

Old September 27th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sep 26, 1:55*pm, "Mette" wrote:
Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin, that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know when
this might have taken place?

Mette

Hello Mette:

Unofficial Patterns

On a number of previous occasions, especially before major coinage
changes, pattern coins have been produced as a design exercise or
to test public opinion. Many of these have been privately produced.

A privately produced pattern set of British euro coins has already
been produced, and met with intense demand, despite almost
negligible marketing. Original priced at around €40, these have
changed hands for over €250 on e-bay.

In 2004, 27500 sets of Turkish Euro coin patterns were made for
collectors.Yjey were in an illustrated folder.

Pictures at :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=315052

Old September 27th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sep 27, 12:37*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Sep 26, 1:55*pm, "Mette" wrote:

[...]

This folder and set are currently listed on ebay at US $25.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Turkey-Turkiye-Eu...mZ140211675815

Blair
Old September 27th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Jan Doggen" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Hi Mette

Turkey does not have the Euro, very strange.
Can you post a scan?

Unfortunately not. It will be a very bad scan because of the coin's poor
condition. However, I read the text as "Cumhuryieti Tûrkiye" and can also
slightly see the effegy of some Turkish leader, presumably Kemal Atatürk.
On the front side there is a star, the halfmoon, the number 50, and the word
"yeni kurus". Minted 2006. Very difficult to see the details without a
magnifier.

Mette

"Mette" schreef in bericht
k...