Found in change

Old July 21st 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

Default Found in change

A 1964 Roosevelt dime, in VF20. I'm not sure when or where I got it; it's
just always a pleasant surprise to find one...although I'm not sure why. g

A second coin of interest found in change, but by someone else FWIW. The
Mrs. and I were at a well-known ice cream parlor, and the clerk, seeing me
examine an older looking cent in the change, mentioned that she'd found a
1952 wheatie. Ho hum...but she then proceeded to tell me about the
counterfeit state quarter that the store had taken in a few days previously.
She'd only handled it briefly, but in answer to my question said that it was
obviously underweight and that was the giveaway. I asked if they still had
it, and she said no, she thought the owner had thrown it away.

I sure wish I'd gotten to see it..

Old July 21st 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

Honus wrote:
Ho hum...but she then proceeded to tell
me about the counterfeit state quarter that the store had taken in a
few days previously. She'd only handled it briefly, but in answer to
my question said that it was obviously underweight and that was the
giveaway. I asked if they still had it, and she said no, she thought
the owner had thrown it away.
I sure wish I'd gotten to see it..

Probably threw away a rare "dime stock quarter" error.

Old July 21st 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..
A 1964 Roosevelt dime, in VF20. I'm not sure when or where I got it; it's
just always a pleasant surprise to find one...although I'm not sure why.

A second coin of interest found in change, but by someone else FWIW. The
Mrs. and I were at a well-known ice cream parlor, and the clerk, seeing me
examine an older looking cent in the change, mentioned that she'd found a
1952 wheatie. Ho hum...but she then proceeded to tell me about the
counterfeit state quarter that the store had taken in a few days
previously. She'd only handled it briefly, but in answer to my question
said that it was obviously underweight and that was the giveaway. I asked
if they still had it, and she said no, she thought the owner had thrown it
away.

which may mean owner recognized an error and it'll be on eBay soon.
mk

I sure wish I'd gotten to see it..

Old July 21st 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Jim Menning" wrote in message
Honus wrote:
Ho hum...but she then proceeded to tell
me about the counterfeit state quarter that the store had taken in a
few days previously. She'd only handled it briefly, but in answer to
my question said that it was obviously underweight and that was the
giveaway. I asked if they still had it, and she said no, she thought
the owner had thrown it away.
I sure wish I'd gotten to see it..

Probably threw away a rare "dime stock quarter" error.

Don't think something like that didn't cross my mind.

Old July 21st 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Honus wrote:
A 1964 Roosevelt dime, in VF20. I'm not sure when or where I got it; it's
just always a pleasant surprise to find one...although I'm not sure why. g

A second coin of interest found in change, but by someone else FWIW. The
Mrs. and I were at a well-known ice cream parlor, and the clerk, seeing me
examine an older looking cent in the change, mentioned that she'd found a
1952 wheatie. Ho hum...but she then proceeded to tell me about the
counterfeit state quarter that the store had taken in a few days previously.
She'd only handled it briefly, but in answer to my question said that it was
obviously underweight and that was the giveaway. I asked if they still had
it, and she said no, she thought the owner had thrown it away.

I sure wish I'd gotten to see it..

I once got a quarter in change from a vending machine that looked funny.
It wasn't a sandwich, but was too recent not to be one. The sheen was
all wrong, and when dropped on a tabletop the ring sounded different.
I showed it to Mr. Benveniste, and he said it was a silver proof.
Weirdness...

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the
Old July 21st 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message

In article ,
Honus wrote:
[...]

I'd considered that possibility and asked the girl about it. She was clearly
familiar with silver coins though, which I have to admit kind of surprised
me as she was only about 20 years old, and it seems not too many that age
are. And the silver coins are heavier than the clad, so the counterfeit
being so underweight ruled that out as well.

Nice find for you.

Old July 22nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Young One

On Jul 21, 11:15 am, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article ,

Honus wrote:
[...]

i have also got a silver proof quarter from a vending machine....
crazy the machine took it...
Old July 22nd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

Honus wrote:
[...]

I do not believe the coins given out in change are the same coins
people put in. Change coins are loaded by the vender, unless I am
mistaken?

Old July 22nd 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Jon Purkey wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:23:31 -0700 (PDT), The Young One

i have also got a silver proof quarter from a vending machine....
crazy the machine took it...

I do not believe the coins given out in change are the same coins
people put in. Change coins are loaded by the vender, unless I am
mistaken?

It works both ways. By default, coins inserted into the machine go into the
changemaking tubes but when they are full, they then drop into the machine's
cash box.

If the tubes are fairly low when the machine is serviced, the operator can and
will often refill them.

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |

Found in change Padraic Brown Coins 2 August 2nd 07 02:57 PM
Found in change Honus Coins 8 January 22nd 07 04:02 PM
Found in change J. Craton Coins 4 June 2nd 04 04:05 AM
Found In Change Again Fred Coins 5 May 10th 04 08:50 PM
Found In Change. Aladdin Sane Coins 8 May 3rd 04 04:53 PM