PING: Jeff R.

Old May 25th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default PING: Jeff R.

Can't seem to shake that addiction to film:

http://tinyurl.com/2ab8t6

I'm almost disappointed that the seller accepted my offer last night
as it was about to expire. If he hadn't, I would have BIN'ed this one
this morning and saved $220:

http://tinyurl.com/37cdn8

I was actually in the market for a second N8008s (rock solid SLR) when
I started thinking about the F100....which I'm sure I'll love.

Old May 25th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On May 25, 10:42?am, Phil DeMayo wrote:

Can't seem to shake that addiction to film:

http://tinyurl.com/2ab8t6

I'm almost disappointed that the seller accepted my offer last night
as it was about to expire. If he hadn't, I would have BIN'ed this one
this morning and saved $220:

http://tinyurl.com/37cdn8

I was actually in the market for a second N8008s (rock solid SLR) when
I started thinking about the F100....which I'm sure I'll love.

Ahhhh rats....I couldn't resist.

I guess having a spare N8008s body isn't a bad thing. It was too nice
to let someone else grab it at that price.

Old May 26th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

Default Jeff R.

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can't seem to shake that addiction to film:

http://tinyurl.com/2ab8t6

I'm almost disappointed that the seller accepted my offer last night
as it was about to expire. If he hadn't, I would have BIN'ed this one
this morning and saved $220:

http://tinyurl.com/37cdn8

I was actually in the market for a second N8008s (rock solid SLR) when
I started thinking about the F100....which I'm sure I'll love.

Holy Hannah! $75!

Good catch, Phil.
Me, I've found the best bang-for-buck with medium format and have picked up
a couple of very serviceable Mamiya 645s + extra lenses and closeup rings
etc.
Only catch is, I have to buy film on the 'net, 'cause no-one nearby sells it
over the counter. Even the supoermarkets have stopped selling 35mm film.
My 645s are overkill for coins, of course, but Geez they do a nice
landscape.

You won't regret getting the other (more expensive) body. It's only money,
and -heck- we're so strange that we put money in albums, just to gaze at it.
Obviously it ain't worth spending!
(Hang on - lemme rethink that logic a bit...)

--
Jeff R.

Old May 29th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

? "Phil DeMayo" ?????? ??? ??????
ps.com...
On May 25, 10:42?am, Phil DeMayo wrote:

Can't seem to shake that addiction to film:

http://tinyurl.com/2ab8t6

I'm almost disappointed that the seller accepted my offer last night
as it was about to expire. If he hadn't, I would have BIN'ed this one
this morning and saved $220:

http://tinyurl.com/37cdn8

I was actually in the market for a second N8008s (rock solid SLR) when
I started thinking about the F100....which I'm sure I'll love.

Ahhhh rats....I couldn't resist.

I guess having a spare N8008s body isn't a bad thing. It was too nice
to let someone else grab it at that price.

I am still shooting film Phil but isn't it a bit too much for an F100
$325.00?...
I mean I don't know prices in the US but it seems to me a bit too much for a
film camera, even if once the top of the line...
BTW, I am using a F90X and I am quite happy, although I'd like to use a
F100;-)

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old May 29th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Jeff R." έγραψε στο μήνυμα
u...

Good catch, Phil.
Me, I've found the best bang-for-buck with medium format and have picked
up a couple of very serviceable Mamiya 645s + extra lenses and closeup
rings etc.
Only catch is, I have to buy film on the 'net, 'cause no-one nearby sells
it over the counter. Even the supoermarkets have stopped selling 35mm
film.
My 645s are overkill for coins, of course, but Geez they do a nice
landscape.

How much did you pay for them Jeff?
I mean complete (120 magazine, TTL prism, etc).

rgrds

Old May 30th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On May 29, 3:55?pm, "gogu" wrote:

I am still shooting film Phil but isn't it a bit too much for an F100
$325.00?...
I mean I don't know prices in the US but it seems to me a bit too much for a
film camera, even if once the top of the line...
BTW, I am using a F90X and I am quite happy, although I'd like to use a
F100;-)

While the BIN price was $325, the seller accepted my offer of $295 and
I don't think it was too much. B&H Photo in New York still has some in
stock and is asking $800 for a body with a USA warranty.

Mine came today and is in mint condition....although I probably
wouldn't have bid on it if the $75 N8008s had been listed before I
made the offer. The N8008s also came today and is in mint condition as
well.

Now I just have to wait a couple of days for the F100 instruction
manual (won in a separate auction) to come so I know what all those
buttons and dials do....but some of the operation is quite similar to
the N8008s (and probably similar to your F90X).

I'm going to try and get out this weekend and try it out with the
Sigma EX 15-30mm zoom I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Interestingly, Nikon shows only two current film cameras at their
website....the F6 pro camera which has a street price of $2000 for the
body only with a USA warranty and the manual FM10 which has a street
price of $250 for the body and a 35-70mm zoom with USA warranty.

Everything in between has apparently been discontinued.

Old May 30th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On May 29, 3:56?pm, "gogu" wrote:

How much did you pay for them Jeff?
I mean complete (120 magazine, TTL prism, etc).

Jeff's comments on medium format had me running off to eBay to do a
little comparison shopping. Th cameras I would be interested
in....Pentax 67 II or Pentax 645-N....are a little too pricey for me
at present.

If I were to go medium format it would probably be exclusively for
landscape and/or architectural photography....so I would probably only
want a wide angle lens.

I had an opportunity back in the mid 70s to buy a mint Pentax 6x7 and
two lenses (probably stolen) for $75, but couldn't swing it because I
was unemployed at the time and had just bought a mint Nikon F and 4
Nikkor lenses from the same guy a week earlier for $175 (sold to a
camera dealer a few years later for $350).

Old May 30th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Jeff R." έγραψε στο μήνυμα
u...

Good catch, Phil.
Me, I've found the best bang-for-buck with medium format and have picked
up a couple of very serviceable Mamiya 645s + extra lenses and closeup
rings etc.
Only catch is, I have to buy film on the 'net, 'cause no-one nearby sells
it over the counter. Even the supoermarkets have stopped selling 35mm
film.
My 645s are overkill for coins, of course, but Geez they do a nice
landscape.

How much did you pay for them Jeff?
I mean complete (120 magazine, TTL prism, etc).

rgrds

You got me there, Costas. I don't keep records of these things - its a
funny quirk I have about buying things - coins as well.

I have two - one with a fixed prism (not interchangeable) and (IIRC) inbuilt
exposure meter and detachable pistol grip. It was the "budget" version of
the 645. I recall it cost less than AUD$150, but more than $100. The 120
"magazine" built in, too.

The other one is the slightly more upmarket one. It has an eye-level
removeable VF and one magazine. I cannot pursuade the meter to work,
'though it obviously has one. (Batt is OK) It cost ~ AUD$150-200.

Both came with standard lens (85mm?) I also have a wide angle, 50mm.

I don't have them here right now - I left them at work. I'll update later.
They both work beautifully - they're a joy to focus - and they give
spectacular results with Velvia and Provia.

A scan of a transparency at 4800dpi ends up almost 10,000 wide - but is a
little over the top, and is a bit soft at 100%. About half that res, with
an image 5,000 wide, is a better compromise, and quite sharp at 100%.

It really is overkill, and my Nikon dSLR is fine for 95% of what I do.

....but it sure is fun.

--
Jeff R.

Old May 30th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 29, 3:56?pm, "gogu" wrote:

How much did you pay for them Jeff?
I mean complete (120 magazine, TTL prism, etc).

Jeff's comments on medium format had me running off to eBay to do a
little comparison shopping. Th cameras I would be interested
in....Pentax 67 II or Pentax 645-N....are a little too pricey for me
at present.

My experience too. The big Pentaxes are holding their value a little too
well.

If I were to go medium format it would probably be exclusively for
landscape and/or architectural photography....so I would probably only
want a wide angle lens.

They start to get *painfully* expensive for the 67.

It seems the little Mamiya (645) is the poor cousin, and I had no trouble
finding a couple at good prices about a year ago.

Heh! Funny postscript.
I needed a new exposure meter to go with one of the 645s, as mine had rusted
out years ago.
No probs! (I thought) Exposure meter. Standard accessory. Easy.

I loked through the 'bay, and only saw Lux meters (little use for
photography) or multi-squigabuck bells-and-whistles Rolls Royce units which
would have cost me more than the cameras.

OK - says I - I'll just check the local dealer.
So I wanders in to the local outlet for a huge Aussie photo franchise
(Paxton's, for those who care) and asked to see their range of exposure
meters.

The young thing behind the desk rolled his eyes, looked heavenward and said:
"What?"
He seriously didn't know what the heck I was talking about. "Don't all
cameras have built-in auto exposure?"

Sheesh.

Four dealerships later I gave up, and kept watching the 'bay until I found
one for $130 - which was about twice what I had expected. (Nice unit,
though - does flash as well.)

Its just as well that I collect antiques as well as coins. It seems my
hobby is antique photography (Photography *with* antiques, that is, not
photography *of* antiques.)

--
Jeff R.
(sorry 'bout the OT, folks)

Old May 30th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Interestingly, Nikon shows only two current film cameras at their
website....the F6 pro camera which has a street price of $2000 for the
body only with a USA warranty and the manual FM10 which has a street
price of $250 for the body and a 35-70mm zoom with USA warranty.

Everything in between has apparently been discontinued.

Actually - and I'd like to be corrected on this one - I believe that *all*
the film Nikons have been discontinued, and they're just rolling out old
stock. I'm sure I read that somewhere recently.

Some folk had been noted buying up two or three F6s as "investments" (or
"antiques").

Sigghhhhh...

--
Jeff R.
(willing to be wrong here)

PING: Jeff R Jud Coins 1 December 12th 06 05:59 AM
Ping Jeff:Australian police leave PNG Jud Coins 3 May 18th 05 03:07 PM
Ping - Jeff R (A.Gent) Ed Hendricks Coins 1 December 15th 04 09:53 AM
Ping Jeff R. AKA A. Gent - Pennies from Oz!!! Scottishmoney Coins 1 May 8th 04 12:29 PM