QUESTION ABOUT BOOK(BCE)

Old May 20th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
mr.sword

Default QUESTION ABOUT BOOK(BCE)

Hi, i bought this Stephen King book "Gerald's Game" and I was
wondering if it's a Book Blub Edition, I saw on the Dustjacket and
there's no price, this usually means it is...but what other things I
have to know to tell if it's a BCE.

I also notice that there's no Series of Number (ex: 98765) on the
book.

Thanks...hope for an answer!
Old May 23rd 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

mr.sword wrote:
Hi, i bought this Stephen King book "Gerald's Game" and I was
wondering if it's a Book Blub Edition, I saw on the Dustjacket and
there's no price, this usually means it is...but what other things I
have to know to tell if it's a BCE.

I also notice that there's no Series of Number (ex: 98765) on the
book.

Thanks...hope for an answer!

First, not all book club editions exhibit all of the signs
that I am going to list below. In fact, some book club
editions can only be determined to be such because of the
statement on the dust jacket that it is a book club edition.
Others, such as the infamous example of The Rievers by Wm.
Faulkner say they are first editions, but can be found to be
a book club edition by the indentation on the lower right
back cover. With that caveat, the following are common
features of book club editions, with the further caveat that
not all need apply:

1. No price on dust jacket.
2. DJ says "Book Club Edition"
3 . Five digit code on back of dust jacket or on back cover
of book
3. Size of book is smaller than regular edition (curiously,
there are a few books, e.g., Adams, The Restaurant at the
End of the Universe, where the reverse is true)
4. Top of spine lacks collar - but many regular editions do
these days as well
5 . Thinner paper than in regular edition - you need a
regular edition to make the comparison
6. Limited copyright information on copyright page, e.g.,
no number line with printing information

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen

Book question Thomas A.[_2_] Coins 9 September 10th 09 05:15 AM
Red book question Larry Louks Coins 1 February 8th 05 07:21 PM
A book Question Matalog Books 2 June 6th 04 01:05 PM
Book question. gogu Coins 9 May 7th 04 02:42 PM
Red Book Question Larry Louks Coins 6 December 12th 03 06:38 PM