PR: San Jose CC Coin Show (Saturday update)

Old January 18th 04, 08:35 AM
Ken Barr

Default PR: San Jose CC Coin Show (Saturday update)

Two days down, one to go ... Show seems to be going fairly
well so far, with many of the deelers quite happy, especially
with wholesale sales. (Many reported that the FUN show last
weekend was a great selling show, resulting in them having
considerable moolah burning a hole in their pocket, leading
to them spending money like drunken sailors with other deelers.)
Public attendance seemed a little down from last year, but this
may have been an optical illusion due to the larger hall this
year and the superwide aisles that were part of the layout.

Rumor has it that a unique ANACS MS69 1982-D George Washington
commemorative half doller traded hands today, at a record price!

Here are a few more images from the show so far ...

r.c.c regular Greg Burns speaking on the Lusitania medal
at the CES meeting:
http://www.kenbarr.com/SJCC/burns1.jpg

Lee Gong at the CONECA table showing off errors to show visitors:
http://www.kenbarr.com/SJCC/coneca1.jpg

Bill Nash on "Nickel, and Nickels of the U. S." at
the CSNA Educational Forum:
http://www.kenbarr.com/SJCC/nash3.jpg.jpg

SHOW DETAILS:

San Jose Coin Club's 36th Annual Coin and Stamp Show
and California State Numismatic Association 114th Convention

NEW LOCATION THIS YEAR (hopefully a one-time relocation ...)
McEnery Convention Center, Exhibit Hall # 3
150 W. San Carlos Street at 408 Almaden Boulevard
Downtown San Jose

Admission $3 adults, 17 and under free. Free admission to
adults on Sunday when accompanied by a child.
Many of the East Coast deelers have already bugged out, but there
should still be 75+ coin dealers and a few stamp/collectible dealers,
at least until 1 PM or thereabouts.

RECOMMENDED PARKING: Numerous lots within a few blocks of the
Convention Center offer free parking on Sunday ... look for the purple
and yellow signs. Also, parking meters do not operate on Sunday, so
if you find a space on Market Street or San Carlos Street, GRAB IT!

More information at http://www.sanjosecoinclub.org

Sunday, January 18th
8:00 AM CSNA President's Breakfast Meeting
10:00 AM Show opens to the public
3:30 PM Gold Coin Raffle drawing -- need not be present to win
Prizes are
--- 1910-S $20 Saint-Gaudens MS62 NGC slabbed
--- 1881 $10 Liberty (raw, XF or thereabouts)
--- fifteen Mexico 2 pesos gold coins
4:00 PM Show closes to the public

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old January 18th 04, 12:53 PM
Harv

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
Two days down, one to go ... Show seems to be going fairly
well so far, with many of the deelers quite happy, especially
with wholesale sales. (Many reported that the FUN show last
weekend was a great selling show, resulting in them having
considerable moolah burning a hole in their pocket, leading
to them spending money like drunken sailors with other deelers.)

4:00 PM Show closes to the public

6:00 PM Dozens of drunken sailors, posing as coin deelers, laughing
hysterically and pockets overflowing with cash, get kicked out of the Hall,
where they had been riding stolen Harleys up and down the aisles, and
stumble into local tattoo parlors and bars. Arm wrestling. Fist fights.
Barfing up $5.00 hot dogs and nachos. Bar stools crashing into ornate
mirrors. Slurred complaints of "Honest, Ossifer, I'm not as think as you
drunk I am!!" are ignored as the CP (Coin Police..) .. swinging billyclubs
burst in and arrest and haul off the deelers and throw them in the brig,
where, when they sober up with the Mother of all hangovers, they find
themselves peeling potatos for the next two weeks, until they're released
and caravan down to Long Beach for the next show..

Old January 18th 04, 04:31 PM
WinWinscenario

Rumor has it that a unique ANACS MS69 1982-D George Washington
commemorative half doller traded hands today, at a record price!

Since the coin is unique, and this is its first appearance in its new duds, it
has the distinction of being both a record high and a record low for this
particular (pop 1) transaction!

Regards,
Tom
Old January 19th 04, 08:23 AM
Ken Barr

In article , "Harv"
wrote:

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, you're not that far off ... Sunday opened with around
75% - 85% of the original deelers still set up and deeling (as opposed
to around 65% - 75% in most previous years). Many of the Southern
California deelers, who usually bug out in the noon - 2 PM timeframe
if business is slow, remained until at least 3 PM, with some of them
not even starting to pack until the scheduled 4 PM show closing time.
Security had to escort out some of the late-staying public after the
4 PM public close, and "encourage" the deelers still doing wholesale
business to shut down and start packing so that we could vacate
the hall in a timely manner ... There was still one deeler packing up
his wares when I bugged out for the final time at 5:30 PM ...

I run the lamp rental concession at the show, and rent out about
60 lamps each year. NORMALLY, I can pick up and take home about
30 - 40 lamps on Saturday night, and get the remainder by 2 PM
on Sunday. This year I picked up less than 25 by Saturday night,
and still had 20 to collect as of 3 PM on Sunday. I actually had to
pack up and take home my inventory at 3 PM, then come back for
the remaining lamps later, exactly the opposite of previous years!
The out-of-area deelers were definitely staying late, and apparently
still spending money right up to (and past ...) the closing bell ...

Successful show all around from the looks of it, and I'm *sure*
looking forward to a full night's sleep tonight!!