1944 Italy 100 Lire Cento

Old May 31st 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

Default 1944 Italy 100 Lire Cento

I have a 1944 100 Lire Cento note in crisp, practically just printed
condition. I don't know how to find values for bills, so what is thing
worth? And where can I sell it?
Old May 31st 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

According to the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, the value of this
note in uncirculated condition is US$50, which is just a guide because the
catalog is known to be wildly off the mark in some valuations. The best way
to find its true value is to offer it for sale on eBay with good scans so
collectors can judge the condition and bid accordingly.

On 5/31/08 10:42 AM, in article
,

Old June 3rd 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Hello,
the note you mean is one of those issued during the Interim
Government of Italy in the Fall of 1944. There are 3 types according to
the issuing printer.
Type 1) series from A1 till Z125 Printer IPS of Rome (Istituto
Poligrafico di Stato);
Type 2) series from A126 till H209 and from A249 till P250 Printer
Istituto Geografico De Agostini on behalf of IPS;
Type 3) series from I209 till Z248 Printer Officine Staderini di
Roma on behalf of IPS.
In pure UNC the first 2 types range around 140 euro on retail
market but if you are selling them to a dealer, do not expect as much.
The last type (the rarest) ranges around 200 euro on retail market
in UNC.
Replacement series a
Type 1) from W1 till W118 which is usually sold in UNC for 250 euro,
Type 2) from W201 till W316 which is usually sold in UNC for 350 euro,
Type 3) from W141 till W180 which is usually sold in UNC for 450 euro.
It exist also a not issued variant of this note with larger sizes.
It is not known in private hands and it is only available in the
archives of the Bank of Italy. This last was meant to be in line with
the US Dollar but the substitution of the currency never occurred in
Italy as it happened in many European Countries after the end of WWII.
This is the reason why it looked for many years so small when compared
to other western currencies. Germany, France, Greece, Hungary, Austria,
etc, all changed and revalued their pre-war currencies and in some cases
even renamed them. Italy never did. Nevertheless, old Italian paper
money, like the French one, is very difficult to get in UNC and that's
why it is so expensive.
I hope this clarification helps.

Best wishes,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money Market,
http://www.papermoneymarket.com