ICCS - Candian coin grading service?

Old January 19th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default ICCS - Candian coin grading service?

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Anka
Old January 19th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here's an auction showing one of their "slabs" - actually a heat-sealed
Saflip.

http://tinyurl.com/9azpfr

Beyond that I'll defer to RWF, who has considerable experience with
ICCS-graded coins. RWF, ya there?

James

Old January 19th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

wrote in message

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Anka

Hello

You might want to try the link shown below. I hope it helps.

http://www.canadiancoincertification.com/

Old January 19th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

wrote in message
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

ICCS is highly regarded among collectors of Canadian coinage.
They package their graded coins in double-sealed soft plastic flips.
For some reason they don't have a web presence, a lack that many find
puzzling.

Old January 19th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Anka

Hello

You might want to try the link shown below. I hope it helps.

http://www.canadiancoincertification.com/

CCCS is a completely different service than ICCS.
I have several CCCS graded Canadian coins and find them to be accurately
graded for the most part.
CCCS was sealing its coins in soft plastic flips (like ICCS) but has
recently begun offering the option of a hard plastic case at a slight
additional cost.

Old January 19th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Anka

Hello

You might want to try the link shown below. I hope it helps.

http://www.canadiancoincertification.com/

Close, but no cigar. The OP was asking about ICCS, a different TPG.

James

Old January 19th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_7_]

? ?????? ??? ??????
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

International Coin Certification Service
2010 Yonge Street
Ste 202
Toronto, Ontorio
Canada M4S 1Z9

Phone 416-488-8620
Fax 416-488-6371

They are the Canadian "PCGS".
---------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICCS
International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) is a third-party appraisal
service for grading coins. It determines the condition and authenticity[1]
of each coin it grades to provide consumers with a rating on which to judge
the coin. It was founded in 1986, and is located in Toronto, Ontario. The
company will grade coins from most countries but is particularly known for
grading coins of the Canadian dollar. ICCS is respected for offering
conservative and consistent grades. They currently package coins they have
certified in a PET film envelope which is sealed in an outer flip style
envelope. The other side of the flip is sealed with the ICCS grading
certificate. The certificate shows the assigned grade, a certification
number and any comments, (cleaned, coin variety, etc), that apply to the
coin. The company recognizes major varieties and many minor ones.
----------------
http://www.coinoisseur.com/GradingCoins.html
The leading coin grading services that grade Canadian coins a
Canadian Coin Certification Service (CCCS) in Longueuil, QC -
www.canadiancoincertification.com
International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) in Toronto, Ontario -
416-488-8620
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in Parsippany, New Jersey -
www.ngccoin.com
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) in Newport Beach, California -
www.pcgs.com
---------

Find some more info he
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=36414
http://reviews.ebay.com/ICCS-NGC-Can...00000005904215
http://www.canadiancoin.com/

Old January 19th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:

[snip]

CCCS is a completely different service than ICCS.
I have several CCCS graded Canadian coins and find them to be
accurately graded for the most part.
CCCS was sealing its coins in soft plastic flips (like ICCS) but has
recently begun offering the option of a hard plastic case at a slight
additional cost.

You may have discussed this previously, but a few issues are worth bringing
up again:

1) How is it that two supposedly independent third-party grading companies
chose nearly identical (and very different from those of U.S. TPGs)
packaging formats?

2) Wouldn't it be relatively easy to fake such packaging? I'm thinking
that there have to be items such as 1921 Canadian 50c pieces and
Newfoundland 1873H 5-cent pieces residing in them.

3) Have any fakes of these packages been confirmed?

TIA,
James

Old January 19th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

1) How is it that two supposedly independent third-party grading
companies chose nearly identical (and very different from those of
U.S. TPGs) packaging formats?

Beats me.

2) Wouldn't it be relatively easy to fake such packaging? I'm
thinking that there have to be items such as 1921 Canadian 50c pieces
and Newfoundland 1873H 5-cent pieces residing in them.

All packaging is relatively easy to fake, although the flips used by
ICCS & CCCS seem to be especially vunerable.

3) Have any fakes of these packages been confirmed?

If they have, it hasn't been reported by Canadian Coin News or the RCNA.

Old January 19th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
1) How is it that two supposedly independent third-party grading
companies chose nearly identical (and very different from those of
U.S. TPGs) packaging formats?

Beats me.

2) Wouldn't it be relatively easy to fake such packaging? I'm
thinking that there have to be items such as 1921 Canadian 50c pieces
and Newfoundland 1873H 5-cent pieces residing in them.

All packaging is relatively easy to fake, although the flips used by
ICCS & CCCS seem to be especially vunerable.

3) Have any fakes of these packages been confirmed?

If they have, it hasn't been reported by Canadian Coin News or the
RCNA.

How is the editorial content of CCN these days? I used to subscribe years
ago, but somehow managed to let my subscription lapse. I'm not actively
collecting Canadian any longer, but always enjoyed the publication.

James