replacement 8-track tape pads-replacement motors-alignment tapes-EBay

Old March 21st 05, 03:11 PM
trippingtoo8track

Default replacement 8-track tape pads-replacement motors-alignment tapes-EBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

see these auctions for:

AUDIOTEX 8-track deck alignment tape w/instruction sheet- $10 each
w/free shipping

BRAND NEW- REPLACEMENT 8-TRACK DECK DRIVE MOTORS- will fit most
Sony-Pioneer-Soundesign-Akai 83D-many more home and car 8-track decks-
$10 each plus $3 shipping

REPLACEMENT 8-TRACK PADS- package of 100 for $10 plus $3 shipping

Old March 22nd 05, 12:02 AM
yodedude2

trippingtoo8track wrote:
see these auctions for:

AUDIOTEX 8-track deck alignment tape w/instruction sheet- $10 each
w/free shipping

Does the picture for this auction show the actual tape that the winner
will receive? later, ron

Old March 22nd 05, 02:19 AM
DeserTBoB

On 21 Mar 2005 16:02:15 -0800, "yodedude2" wrote:

trippingtoo8track wrote:
see these auctions for:

AUDIOTEX 8-track deck alignment tape w/instruction sheet- $10 each
w/free shipping

Does the picture for this auction show the actual tape that the winner
will receive? later, ron snip

No, the "winner" (loser?) will receive another fraud cartridge...as
reported to ebay today.

dB
Old March 22nd 05, 03:02 AM
DeserTBoB

On 21 Mar 2005 16:02:15 -0800, "yodedude2" wrote:

Does the picture for this auction show the actual tape that the winner
will receive? later, ron snip

The black and white label was from Noodles' earlier fraud attempts.
He's since gone to color to mimic the actual red, white and blue
Audiotex label. Crafty fraudster, that Noodles, but not crafty enough
to escape detection by anyone with half a brain.

NOT that an original Audiotex alignment tape of any configuration is
worth a crap, anyway. I have a bona fide Audiotex cart, and it's
hardly what I'd call an "alignment" tape, although the azimuth setting
is pretty close. The freq run tones aren't close enough to really
gauge the accuracy of a reproducer under test, however, as their
stated accuracy is only ±4 dB, and the "reference" tone isn't close,
either.

Through a fellow lister (our own lennonfan...take a bow), I've been
able to obtain a cherry copy of the Nortronics AT-820 alignment
cartridge, and I got a surprise. The Nortronics cart, like the Aspen
and the Audiotex, is actually recorded in the .62 mm 8 track format
rather than full track. My MRL cartridge is full track, which aids in
a better azimuth setting, but doesn't do you any good for track
elevation (height) setting. The Nortronics is curious, however.
Although the reference tone of 400 Hz is dead on at 185 nWb/m, the
documentation mentions nothing of the sort. The freq run is also very
abbreviated, only giving tones at 150 and 400 Hz and 5 KHz. On
another program, 8 KHz is provided for azimuth adjustment, and its
level is correct when compared to the others, too, as are the other
tones on the cartridge. Strange they didn't spec out the levels as
they did with most of their other alignment tapes for open reel and
cassette.

One thing that's not that good with the Nortronics...the 8 KHz azimuth
tone is only on one track. Sure, it's a breeze to set up azimuth to
this using a scope or VTVM, but what about phasing? As learned from
the MRL tape, the "gap scatter" on my Wollensak is almost nil, thus
when the gap is in perfect alignment, both channels are in phase, as
it is on the Panasonic in the "grocery getter." This usually isn't
the case on most cheaper machines, most noticeably in the cassette
format, and you have to "split the difference" between best amplitude
and best phase matching. They also used a non-standard 1 KHz tone for
wow/flutter, where the standard has been 3150 Hz for decades.
However, judging from the accompanying pamphlet, the 1 KHz tone was
meant for aural judgement only, not meant for use with a bridge. My
bridge will do just about any tone fed to it, so I can measure just
fine with it.

A good feature is the 60 Hz track punctuated with 1 KHz tone bursts at
exactly 60 second increments. Thus, one can "zero beat" the 60 Hz
tone with any source of AC hum and get the absolute right speed, or
they can do the old stopwatch trick with the tone bursts, a time
honored tradition on studio machines. Another thing that bugs
me...they use 150 Hz to line up track height. At .62 mm track width,
there's a LOT of fringing effect with frequencies below about 300 Hz,
so although you might have a maximal level showing on the meter at 150
Hz, you might be far enough off true dead center to negatively affect
the top end. However, if you follow the instructions and tune to the
exact center between two drop-off points, it comes out right, anyway.
I'd just like to see track elevation done at a higher frequency. Open
reel multitrack alignment tapes (rare, actually) usually run track
elevation at 1 KHz, sometimes higher. Again, most pro alignment tapes
are full track, the multi-track versions usually reserved for 1" and
2" formats, like 8, 12, 16 and 24 track.

If you can find a new or good used Nortronics AT-820 and are serious
about setting up your machines, but don't want to go off the deep end
like I did and have a custom tape made, go for it. It'll set up your
deck just fine, and even though they don't say so, you can line up
your recorder's playback amp gain with the 400 Hz tone and be right on
the button, as you can for meter calibration. Once that's done, you
can correctly set up your record amp and bias for the particular tape
you like to use and be dead on the money. A worthwhile investment for
the inveterate techie! I wouldn't spend anything more than a buck or
so for the Audiotex or Aspen test carts, although they're STILL better
than the frauds perpetrated by Charlie Noodles!

dB
Old March 22nd 05, 11:27 AM
trippingtoo8track

bump

The motors are selling fast and furious now people- get them while they
last

Old March 23rd 05, 01:02 AM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

Bob:

Just remembered this, since I got a bit distracted before I got a clear
answer on it earlier, about Trip's 8-track pressure pads...

I asked if the foam would be good enough for use with a bit of tape put
on the top (so as not to scrape off the graphite), and you went onto
something about not using certain kinds of tape.

So, again: If I bought (or made) the kind of pressure pads Trip's
selling, if I put the proper tape over the tape path, would the foam
itself provide enough pressure to push the tape against the head
without issues?

(WinGibs, even at about 50 cents each, will probably be set aside in
favor of $10-per-100 pressure pads when I'm a bit short on cash if
they're of acceptable quality.)

And before you answer, I ask...

a) that you withhold your prejudices against Trip and answer COMPLETELY
on the technical basis of the foam used in those pads compared to
WinGibs and how it fares in comparison (or would with proper tape over
the path) -- no flaming his fraudulent practices, however true or false
they may be...

and...

b) that, conversely, Trippin', you don't take the opportunity to flame
Bob when/if you answer this post.

Thank you, guys, I'll trust you to be more adults than my 14-year-old
peers usually behave.

Old March 23rd 05, 10:40 PM
yodedude2

trippingtoo8track wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?snip

Why do you put pictures of items on your eBay auctions when you are
going to send someone a copy of the item and not the item in the
picture? later, ron

Old March 24th 05, 08:52 PM
DeserTBoB

On 23 Mar 2005 14:40:13 -0800, "yodedude2" wrote:

trippingtoo8track wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?snip

Why do you put pictures of items on your eBay auctions when you are
going to send someone a copy of the item and not the item in the
picture? later, ron snip

Report to ebay as fraud.
Old March 25th 05, 12:24 PM
trippingtoo8track

bump

The alignment tape has 2 bids already- get them while you can !

thanks all

Old March 25th 05, 03:12 PM
yodedude2

trippingtoo8track wrote:

The alignment tape has 2 bids already- get them while you can !

thanks all

Have you informed your bidders that they will not receive the item
pictured, but a homemede copy? Have you told your bidders that you are
auctioning off a dub? Why do you strive so to deceive? What is it
about honesty that makes it so difficult for you? You're welcome, ron