Old Dealer/Publisher Information Required

Old May 13th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

Default Old Dealer/Publisher Information Required

I am doing some numismatic research at the moment and have come
across
a couple of handwritten letters on headed notepaper with the address
"Collectors Research Limited, PO Box 111, Montreal, Quebec". They
are
signed by someone called "John" and almost certainly date to around
the period 1965-1967. A quick Google search only brings up the fact
that they published at least one book during that period.

Could anybody with a long memory let me have a brief background to
Collectors Research and even hazard a guess as to who "John" might
be? His expertise centres around Middle Eastern coins.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Peter

Old May 13th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

sealladh58 wrote:
I am doing some numismatic research at the moment and have come
across
a couple of handwritten letters on headed notepaper with the address
"Collectors Research Limited, PO Box 111, Montreal, Quebec". They
are
signed by someone called "John" and almost certainly date to around
the period 1965-1967. A quick Google search only brings up the fact
that they published at least one book during that period.

Could anybody with a long memory let me have a brief background to
Collectors Research and even hazard a guess as to who "John" might
be? His expertise centres around Middle Eastern coins.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Peter

The name I hear most often when questions about Middle Eastern coins arise
is that of Scott Cordry. Here's the scoop on him:

http://www.ha.com/common/info/press/...?ReleaseID=315

Another purveyor of the odd and curious is Allen Berman:

http://www.bermania.com/

Good luck in your quest.

James

Old May 14th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

Thanks for the information, but I am after specific information about
Collectors Research Limited of Montreal. However, I will continue
the search.

Peter
Old May 15th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

sealladh58 wrote:
Thanks for the information, but I am after specific information about
Collectors Research Limited of Montreal. However, I will continue
the search.

After I posted all that I realized that I should have suggested you contact
those two gentlemen, as there's a good chance they would know. But do
whatever makes sense to you.

James

Old May 15th 09, 10:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

On May 15, 2:38*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
After I posted all that I realized that I should have suggested you contact
those two gentlemen, as there's a good chance they would know. *But do
whatever makes sense to you.

James

Thanks, I might contact them, as well as a couple of others I know who
may also be able to help.

Peter
Old February 3rd 12, 09:51 PM
cherylg61 cherylg61 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Hi

Collectors Research Limited was our numismatic firm. We hired John Humphris for his linguistic expertise - he absorbs languages by osmosis it seems - his expertise was not limited to the Middle East - he wrote the book on Coins of Iraq - he also specialized in Tibetan coinage.

If you are still interested in contact him, let me know and I'll put you in touch. He's in Ohio now.

Cheryl
Old January 3rd 16, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 5:49:45 PM UTC-4, sealladh58 wrote:
Thanks for the information, but I am after specific information about
Collectors Research Limited of Montreal. However, I will continue
the search.

Peter

Hi Peter -
Don't know if you are still looking but the John you are looking for is John Humphris. He used to work for CRL in the 1960s/70s (wrote Currency of Iraq, etc.) then moved to Sydney, Ohio where he worked for Coin World. He still lives in Sydney. I had started a CRL website (collectorsresearch.ca), took a break and will be getting back to it in 2016.

Old March 5th 16, 11:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 6:18:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's amazing he is still alive.

Publisher Pocket Guide? rperrilleon Books 1 December 8th 04 01:40 AM
Books by publisher (particularly Chilton sci fi) John Ferguson Books 0 September 20th 03 12:52 AM
Publisher/BC question Robin Books 5 August 5th 03 05:11 AM
I'm looking for a book, don't know the author, the publisher but do know the subject. InsanityIsFun Books 1 July 31st 03 10:00 PM
Need Dealer Information John Mason Coins 11 July 9th 03 03:24 AM