Salvation Army find

Old December 30th 05, 07:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Salvation Army find

the turntable is a changer made by bsr. it uses a pickering dat2
stylus. is there any other info that is needed?

on a different topic here is a link with a stereo similar to my
soundesign
http://cgi.ebay.com/BSR-33-45-78-RPM...cmd ZViewItem

Old December 30th 05, 07:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

I will try to put a few pictures on geocities tommorow. I think I will
call it a night.

thanks
Rusty

Old December 30th 05, 08:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

the justment is a screw on the bottom right of the tone arm assembly you
turn it clock wize to move it tward the outside of the landing grove of a
record and counter clockwize to move it twards the inside of the landing
grove i set mine to land in the exact center of the landing area and it
works like a charm now.
the 8 track counters i cant tell you with out seeing it could be burnt out
bulbs or broken wireing ect.

"American Christian Majority" wrote in message
ups.com...
cassette holder came off- no idea without seeing it.

changer doesn't set needle down correctly- there is an adjustment stop
for that somewhere

counters don't work- they may run off small round or square belts- it
the belts break or stretch, they won't work- open it up and look

hope that helps. it does sound fixable to me

Old December 30th 05, 08:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

ajustment is under the tone arm on the metal part that the tone arm bolt is
sitting on .

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
On 29 Dec 2005 17:01:31 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

Hello everyone,

I found a fisher all-in-one-unit turntable cassette fm-am tuner with an
8 track recorder with dolby snip

This is a Sanyo unit of dubious quality.

for $20 I bought it about an hour ago. the the thing that you insert
the casette into came off snip

Broke or just fell off?

the changer dosent set the needle down in
the right place so the needle falls off the side of the record snip

That's an internal adjustment on the underside of the changer. I'd
replace that stylus first thing, as well. I think these used a cheap
magnetic cartridge of some kind, not sure which one...low-line Sony? I
forgot.

and the
counters on the 8 track and cassette dont work. any ideas on how to fix
these problems. snip

Those are usually driven with a thin square belt inside, and break
often with age. The thing to do with both of these machines is
replace all the belts at the same time, as well as have the
lubrication and cleaning done concurrently.

dB

Old December 30th 05, 08:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

thats on the the back corner its a turn knob with a scale +or - to ajust it
the tracking force is the knob on the fount of the black part the tone arm
is screwed to.

"rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...
where should i set the antiskate with these?

Old December 30th 05, 08:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 29 Dec 2005 23:55:19 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

the turntable is a changer made by bsr. it uses a pickering dat2
stylus. is there any other info that is needed? snip

DAT2? One of the cheapest cartridges ever sold under the Pickering
name. Replacement styli he

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl;jse...=2&category=66

Considering the overall quality of this unit, it probably isnt' worth
upgrading to a better cartridge, since you 1.) don't have a good
enough table/arm to take advantage of it, and 2.) the electronics it
feeds aren't too hot, either. Just get a new stylus, so at least it
won't ruin your good records.

BSR is a low quality rim drive changer, usually. I'm almost sure it's
a spring balanced arm, but it could be counterweighted, like some of
BSR's component model changers were. I'm actually a bit shocked it
actually has a magnetic cartridge in it at all; even more shocked it
has anti-skating facilities!. The DAT-2 should track right around 2
grams. Let me know if this tonearm has a counterweight on the back
end.

on a different topic here is a link with a stereo similar to my
soundesign
http://cgi.ebay.com/BSR-33-45-78-RPM...cmd ZViewItem snip

$79 for that pile? ROFL! That's about what it went for new! See
that skinny little head shell on that too-short arm? That's a ceramic
cartridge with a "flip" stylus...one side's microgroove, one side's
for 78s only. These are notorious "record ruiners." Ceramic
cartridges usually have to track above 3 grams just to force the
stylus against the groove wall because of high mass and low
compliance. Also, the clunky sprung tonearm makes it even worse.
Don't play good records on this thing. In fact, try to eBay it
off...some idiot like Charlie Nudo might actually buy it!

My wheel alignment/frame guy has one of these exact models in the shop
for use as a radio only. He got it for 50¢ at a garage sale. I told
him the 8 track wasn't worth fixing...plastic head mount...junk. The
FM radio section's good enough to pull in the local low power oldies
station and that's about it. The AM isn't useful for anything except
picking up fluorescent lamp ballasts and ignition noise. The speakers
are a really bad joke.

dB
Old December 30th 05, 12:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

old timer pro 8-track tip:

if the counter drive belt is connected to the capstan, leave it off and
don't use the counter- it adds wow/flutter to the playback function by
putting a drag and reducing torque of the tape drive capstan

I always get those working to sell a deck 'cuz it's a nice added
feature, but on my own decks, they are disconnected for optimum
playback quality.

Old December 30th 05, 05:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

DeserTBoB wrote:

After Avery Fisher retired and sold the business, things went downhill
quickly, as the US audio electronics business was under direct attack
from "Japan, Inc." After floudering in the face of cut-rate Japanese
imports sold under names like Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony, Fisher Radio
closed their doors and sold the name to Sanyo, who before this time
was churning out made-to-order audio equipment for other companies,
basically functioning as an off-shore factory...the start of the
decline of the US as a world manufacturing power. Not long after that
happened, Sanyo started selling cheesy K-Mart quality stuff using the
vaunted Fisher name...an insult, to be sure. Even more insulting was
their use of the moniker "Studio Standard" on a lot of their K-Mart
crap. Of course, any audio pro would get quite a chuckle out of this,
as the stuff was basically cheesy junk. Many other formerly great US
names have been similarly defiled...Crosley, Westinghouse. RCA,
Emerson...all former great US companies now just badges for
exploitation for the japs and chinks to sell their cheaply made, badly
designed crap destined to be unloaded on clueless, unintelligent
buyers at discount joints like K-Mart and Wal-Mart..

you missed something bob
avery fisher did not sell fisher radio corp to sanyo. in fact, avery told
sanyo to go pound sand after several attemps by sanyo to buy the company.
instead, he sold fisher radio to emerson electric in new jersey with a
aggreement NOT to sell it to the japanese. however, emerson electric did
not resume manufacturing & sales of fisher audio equipment. instead, they
sat on the aquisition for a year or so & eventually they sold it to sanyo,
breaking the aggreement they had with avery fisher.
avery knew back then what the japanese were going to do with our electronics
industy & he absolutely hated it.

--
i have an 8 track mind

My other computer is your XP box.
Old December 30th 05, 06:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:46:29 -0500, 8 tracker from hell
wrote:

you missed something bob
avery fisher did not sell fisher radio corp to sanyo. in fact, avery told
sanyo to go pound sand after several attemps by sanyo to buy the company.
instead, he sold fisher radio to emerson electric in new jersey with a
aggreement NOT to sell it to the japanese. however, emerson electric did
not resume manufacturing & sales of fisher audio equipment. instead, they
sat on the aquisition for a year or so & eventually they sold it to sanyo,
breaking the aggreement they had with avery fisher.
avery knew back then what the japanese were going to do with our electronics
industy & he absolutely hated it. snip

Yeah, I missed that part. Emerson Electric, by this time, was also
selling its consumer electronics division to the Japanese as well. Why
Fisher never sued Emerson Electric and got his assets back is
something I never figured out...perhaps he just said "**** it?" By
that time, he was heavily engrossed in problems at Lincoln Center and
was sick and tired of the corporate world of hoodlums.

And you are spot on...Avery Fisher tried to warn "corporate America"
in the late 1950s that Japan, headed by Akio Morita at Sony, had our
domestic electronics industry in their crosshairs, and everyone just
laughed at him. Avery was right. As of now, there IS now "consumer
electronics industry" in the United States. It's all run by the
Japanese, Singaporese, Chinese and Tiawanese. All there is in the US
are marketing subsidiaries wholly owned by the Far Eastern firms.

Next stop for the Far East: destroy what's left of GM and take over
the entire US auto market. Ford, at least, is starting to fight back,
but GM's moribund, stupid top management will be butchered by Toyota,
probably in the next couple of years. We've already lost Chrysler to
the krauts, and they're kicking both Ford and GM's asses.

dB
Old December 30th 05, 07:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

this model has been pretty easy on my records without skipping on
beat-up records and it is at the minimum recomended tracking force for
the cart of 3 grams. I replaced the cartridge it's better than the
stock model, i had to modify the headshell to fit the new cartridge in.
bought it for three dollars at the local swapmeet. this thing is hell
to carry home I probably walk more than I drive. this thing has to be
at-least 30 pounds, the fisher I bought is even more.