Help in understanding EBAY bidding....

Old June 26th 05, 12:19 AM
BigDog

Default Help in understanding EBAY bidding....

Need some expert RCC advice on how this happens:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8312958705

My bid (reblone2) @ 16:04:054---Ok, worked fine, next bid was at
16:01:57 and was higher than mine, so all is fine, but the next and
winning bid came at 16:01:46, or 8 seconds before my bid went in, and
11 second before the guy that beat me out. How can the times be thus?

I am sure that there is an explanation somewhere but I tried going thru
the maze of ebay rule recs and questions and could not shake out
anything I could understand.

Rick

Old June 26th 05, 12:49 AM
Jeff R

"BigDog" wrote in message
ups.com...
Need some expert RCC advice on how this happens:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8312958705

My bid (reblone2) @ 16:04:054---Ok, worked fine, next bid was at
16:01:57 and was higher than mine, so all is fine, but the next and
winning bid came at 16:01:46, or 8 seconds before my bid went in, and
11 second before the guy that beat me out. How can the times be thus?

I am sure that there is an explanation somewhere but I tried going thru
the maze of ebay rule recs and questions and could not shake out
anything I could understand.

Rick

Hi Rick.
Not sure exactly what the problem is here... The amounts seem OK, so I'm
guessing you are puzzled by the sequence of events as ebay displayed it.

(your bid time corrected to 16:01:54)

I believe the problem is twofold: ebay's inability to keep up with the
avalanche of bids that appear in the last few seconds, and (certainly in my
case) the persistence of cached pages which make it seem that there has been
no activity, when in fact there has.

I can refresh - forced refresh - refresh again - and still some bids don't
appear, so my snipe gets bounced because the item has already gone over my
limit. No big deal for me, 'cause my limit is my limit, but it is
frustrating.

As I said, I'm not sure what the problem is here. The times seem OK to me.
Was the display of the item in the last few seconds awry?

--
Jeff R.

Old June 26th 05, 12:50 AM
Phil DeMayo

On 25 Jun 2005 16:19:19 -0700, "BigDog" wrote:

Need some expert RCC advice on how this happens:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8312958705

My bid (reblone2) @ 16:04:054---Ok, worked fine, next bid was at
16:01:57 and was higher than mine, so all is fine, but the next and
winning bid came at 16:01:46, or 8 seconds before my bid went in, and
11 second before the guy that beat me out. How can the times be thus?

I am sure that there is an explanation somewhere but I tried going thru
the maze of ebay rule recs and questions and could not shake out
anything I could understand.

It's easy....he submitted a higher maximum bid....neither one of you
beat his maximum. You guys just bid him up a bit.

Old June 26th 05, 12:56 AM
Ken Barr

In article . com, "BigDog"
wrote:

Need some expert RCC advice on how this happens:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8312958705

My bid (reblone2) @ 16:04:054---Ok, worked fine, next bid was at
16:01:57 and was higher than mine, so all is fine, but the next and
winning bid came at 16:01:46, or 8 seconds before my bid went in, and
11 second before the guy that beat me out. How can the times be thus?

I am sure that there is an explanation somewhere but I tried going thru
the maze of ebay rule recs and questions and could not shake out
anything I could understand.

The bids as shown on that page are sorted by Bid Amount,
not by time entered ...

# kentroutman ( 125) US $176.08 Jun-25-05 16:01:46 PDT
# golddigger3000 ( 296) US $173.58 Jun-25-05 16:01:57 PDT
# reblone2 ( 57) US $162.95 Jun-25-05 16:01:54 PDT
# mccfam ( 172) US $156.99 Jun-19-05 22:19:40 PDT

As of Jun-24-05 16:00, mccfam was high bidder.

At 16:01:46, kentroutman bid at least $176.08
and became high bidder at $159.49 ($156.99 + $2.50).

At 16:01:54, you bid $162.95, which bumped kentroutman's
proxy up to $165.45 ($162.95 plus $2.50).

At 16:01:57, golddigger3000 bid $173.58, which bumped
ktroutman's proxy up to $176.08 ($173.58 + $2.50).

The auction closed at 16:02 with the highest bidder
as the winner, at one increment above the highest
underbidder, just as it's supposed to work ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old June 26th 05, 12:59 AM
jim menning

"BigDog" wrote in message
ups.com...
Need some expert RCC advice on how this happens:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8312958705

My bid (reblone2) @ 16:04:054---Ok, worked fine, next bid was at
16:01:57 and was higher than mine, so all is fine, but the next and
winning bid came at 16:01:46, or 8 seconds before my bid went in,
and
11 second before the guy that beat me out. How can the times be
thus?

I am sure that there is an explanation somewhere but I tried going
thru
the maze of ebay rule recs and questions and could not shake out
anything I could understand.

Rick

You are probably confused because the results only show the highest
proxy effect of the winning bidder.

The winning bidder put in a higher bid than yours, prior to your bid.
You only get the satisfaction of making the bidder list because it
needs to be shown to legitimize the final amount. In reality, your
bid was never enough to become the high bidder at any time.

jim menning

Old June 28th 05, 07:49 PM

BigDog wrote:
and 11 second before the guy that beat me out.

Your confusion may be caused by a belief that you were at one point the
leading bidder ("beat me out"). This was never the case. Your bid was
submitted after the winning bid, and was lower than that bid. You were
never higher than second place.

Bidding on eBay Bill Krummel Coins 14 April 25th 05 08:45 PM
How to avoid getting cheated on eBay -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 17 May 26th 04 12:09 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 04:45 AM
How to avoid getting cheated on eBay -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 9 February 14th 04 10:44 PM