Is the jukebox market dead?

Old October 10th 08, 10:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

Default Is the jukebox market dead?

"J.C." wrote in message
On Oct 9, 10:31?pm, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
"J.C." wrote in message

On Oct 8, 6:17?am, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:

J.C.,
You should never expect a hobby to make money. Even a little "side
money".
Hobbies are for fun. I've never heard a weekend golfer or bowler say
that
they want to make money from their hobby.
There is no way to make much money on jukes that sell for only a few
hundred
dollars each. Even if you get them for free and have to do some work on
them
you are only going to make a little bit. That was true about the boxes
that
you listed for the last 10 years, so it's not like the recent ?juke
market
slide has dramatically affected them. I don't know what you think is
"decent" money for the jukes that you name, but I've sold a bunch of
those
same jukes for $500.00 or less in the past 10 yeas and thought that I
did
ok
on them. Then again didn't pay more than $150.00 each for them working
with
records.
You are right. TV's are the thing these days. You can hook a computer to
your big screen and use WinCab jukebox software to create a really cool
jukebox that has almost unlimited songs, Karaoke, music videos, and
everything else! Most people don't even think that you can buy records
anymore, and unless you want to send away for them or buy them online,
they
are right.
I don't think that well to do people have wanted jukes in their homes
since
the 40's or maybe the 50's, when a juke was the coolest record player
that
you could have.
Starting in the 60's there were elaborate home stereo systems that rich
people could have that weren't considered as "garish" as a jukebox.
Most people who want jukes for their homes have always been middle class
"basement bar" guys.
Maybe the best thing for you to do is to donate the jukes to a local
church
or boys / girls club, and take the tax write off for whatever value you
decide.
I've donated many jukes and pins over the years to charities and it's
not
bad way to go. Of course it's not putting a wad of cash in your hand,
but
it's a good thing to do and it gets you a tax break at the end of the
year.
I guess the bottom line is that if you are looking to make some money,
the
juke hobby isn't going to be "worthwhile" for you.
Sell the jukes for whatever you can get out of them and move on. All the
wishing, hoping, and frustration in the world isn't going to make a
$300.00
juke into a $3,000.00 juke.
Good luck!

"J.C." wrote in message

So maybe even as a hobby buying and selling jukes may not be
worthwhile unless I buy and sell older more popular jukes. I didn't
really want to make a businness out of it but I was hoping to make a
little side money in order to buy some expensive repro parts for my
much more popular 50s Seeburgs that I am not selling.And the
chromework is outragiously expensive especially for a chrome intensive
box like a Seeburg R.

So what in the world do I do with 5 more unpopular jukes I have in my
possession? ?2 LPC480,2 PFEA1Us and a SS160 that I can't get a good
original front glass for if my life depended on it since Ken Arrnold
stopped making repros.They all play as I've did the mech cleanups and
got them working but I haven't cleaned up the cabinets.The cosmetics
are decent but not perfect.

I can sit on 4 of them if I have to because they're in the ?shed.But 1
PFEA1U and the Sunstar are taking up "living space" in the house and
that's the main problem

It kinda sucks tht even in this age of flat tvs on the wall that I can
still sell a big bulky "oldschool" ?rear projection bigscreen tv for
$400 ?and get people to spend $300 to $400 fixing them but can't sell
a fully shopped 45 rpm jukebox for decent money.

Well music is just background these days and the kiddies just download
it on the computer to listen to on their ipods while they play
XBox,Playstation and Wi on the big tv.
Back in the day you bought a record and actually listened to it,most
of the time after you heard the song on a jukebox or radio.

Even when the economy is bad people ain't gonna do without a tv.the
bigger the better and they gotta have those sports and movie
channnels.I believe some people would cut back on groceries in order
to pay the cable bill.

I service a lot of tvs for some pretty well to do people that are rich
enough to have big expensive homes a lot of them 2nd or ?beach homes
in this area and for the most part there is nary a jukebox in
sight.Not even a turntable or records.So where are all the well to do
people that actually like jukeboxes located?,,,lol. I've seen more
jukes in everyday people's houses than rich people's houses.And most
were boxy 60s or 70s jukes or even an 80s Rowe.One other guy ?I know
and me are probably the only people within 50 miles that has more than
1 juke in the house and he's well into his 70s.

J.C.

On Oct 6, 7:59?pm, kreed wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:07?am, "J.C." wrote:

I can't believe things are this bad. I've been trying to sell a
?fully
shopped 1976 Seeburg STD3 Sunstar ?since mid summer. It's on 3
different craiglist areas in Maryland and Delaware. It's been on
WBOC
classifieds.It's been in the Sussex Guide which goes all over
Delaware
and the eastern shore of Maryland. it's on it's 2nd run in there
with
bold so it's easy to see and no price mentioned so even someone
hoping
to get one cheap might call and not 1 single phone call from that
listing. I did get a few no shows at the beginning of trying to sell
it.

Should I ebay it or what? Any ideas? I need to sell it. I don't want
to sit on it for several years until the economy turns around if it
turns around.I see the local guy fixing and selling Rowe jukes has
got
desperate and put one on ebay for a much cheaper Buy It Now price
than
he was in the Sussex Guide with 60 day warranty and extras included.
Seems pretty bad if no one even calls or emails.

J.C.

Mate, with reports of some $1quadrillion ( 1,000,000,000,000,000 ) in
various forms of un-repayable bad debt polluting the banking system,
There is a good chance that not ANY of us will even be still alive by
the time things even start to turn around, even assuming that our
lives aren't cut even shorter by the resultant poverty etc.

After seeing a documentary this week on the foreign channel (SBS
Australia) showing hordes of (former) middle class Americans living
out of cars and SUV's, after losing their homes it made my blood run
cold. ?It might just be possible that juke boxes aren't on as many
peoples minds right now as a possible purchase.

You could take a look on ebay and see what similar machines are
selling for or have sold for in recent times, and try listing it if
you can accept the price levels you find. Even if your start price/
reserve is too high, and it doesn't sell if someone wants it they will
usually contact you with an offer.

Unless you happen to have a shop front in a busy area with large and
wealthy population selling jukes etc and them walking in off the
street buying this sort of gear, or lots of industry contacts that
buy/
trade in this sort of gear, I cant think of many other ways than E
bay.

I'm sure with persistence you can get rid of it, however if the market
will only pay $300, then thats all your likely to get. ?Dont also make
the mistake of (over time) spending $200 in advertising, ebay fees etc
to get $500 which still leaves $300 after costs.

Mark it down to experience, dont make the same mistake again, and move
on
Failing this, you can research the parts cost of the machine on Ebay,
and gut it and sell off the good bits, if this gets a better result.
Probably wont however.

I have seen on local ebay, jukes listed over and over and over for a
couple of years nearly with silly prices on them. ?Every time this
costs a fee.

Please read the other posts carefully - especially Keith. ?All of them
are pretty good advice, and I would advise that you don't dismiss it.

-------------
As a final note, you shouldn't really regard manuals and technical
books as an expense related just to a single jukebox. ?If you are
going to keep working with these machines (or in the juke business),
decent manuals are an investment like tools, ?that will be useful for
your working life in the business.

These can always be sold separately on Ebay anyway, should you not be
continuing in jukeboxes.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't say I was trying to get $3000 out of those jukes. I just
Thought $300 ?was on the low side especially the Sunstar which I had
paid $150 for including the manual which he had already bought.At
least for the others I don't have to buy $50 in bulbs.Most even still
have working flourescent tubes in them.I paid much less for the others
but I did get them with a rental truck that ate $200 in gas to get
them.My Ford Ranger couldn't handle 5 jukes from Roanoke Virginia all
at once.I thought $500 to $600 was reasonable since the guy in
Dover,DE was selling 80s Rowes for $1500 and a guy down the street
friom my workplace sold a bunch of similar jukes for $500 a piece in
the late 80s.I know 2 people that had one. One still has hers.The
other lady traded for an 80s Rowe when her Seeburg SS 160 quit.I may
has well have left them where they were at than let my good jukes sit
while I bought and worked on these for $300 a piece or less.

You can't use prices from 20 weeks ago as a reference, let alone 20 years
ago.
Yes, you should have just left them where they were. Chalk it up as a life
lesson.
If someone was selling 80's Rowe boxes for $1,500.00 each recently they
must
have
been CD boxes with a guarantee or something. If not he lucked into some
very
uneducated people!
For the $200.00 you spent in gas you could have bought a small ?trailer
from
Harbor Freight that would
?have allowed you to haul the 5 jukes using your truck and the trailer.
Once again I have to say that it doesn't matter how much you paid or how
much you worked on them or how much time
and gas money you spent to get them, they are only worth what someone will
pay you for them.
Maybe around Christmas you can get a little more for them, but right now
I'd
say that $300.00 each is about it.
Especially since you said that the Sunstar has a cracked upper plastic.

Not with my Ranger.We''re talking about a 4 cylinder engine pickup
going over a very hilly area.I'm sure the transmission would have died
if it even had enough power to handle almost a 2000 pound load plus
the trailer weight. I bought those 5 jukes 5 years ago and never got
around to finishing them.Too many other things(work,work and more
work) to do.Now they're probably worth less than I paid for them.It's
a shame when things go down in value before you have time to get them
ready for sale.Not much hobby time when you work 6 days a week and
rarely get in the house before 7 in the evening.

On the Sunstar its not worth it to pay Durfee whatever ridiculous
price he wants for a nice uncracked plastic if it only increases the
value $50 or less.Some people are willing to accept cosmetic
imperfections if it works 100%.The lady that traded her SS160 for a
Rowe has a cracked dome casting but she's happy.It works reliably and
it sounds great.

Do NOT come on this group and say that John Durfee charges ridiculous
prices!
When YOU buy and maintain a HUGE building, then put up the money up front to
fill it
up with hundreds of jukeboxes that sit for years, then spend an hour
pulling some little
part for someone, you can come on here and post that his prices are high.
Until you do that
Don't comment on it! In your first post you say that you charge people
$300.00 or $400.00
to service their TV. I think that price should be $20.00, so your price is
RIDICULOUS!
John Durfee is doing this hobby a GREAT service by saving hundreds if not
thousands of jukeboxes
from the scrapyard so that you and I can get parts that we would never find
elsewhere!
I'm really tired of your posts and your negative attitude. This hobby is NOT
about making an extra $50.00 or $100.00.
It's about collecting and restoring machines that we love. Some of them are
valuable. Some of them are not.
Probably my favorite juke of all time is a United 100B. The last time I
restored one I probably had $2,000.00 in it
and it's probably worth about $500.00 today. I DON'T CARE!
The rest of us here on the group should start a fund so that we can send you
$2,500.00 for your 5
dumpster bait jukes and you can stop whining and go away.

Old October 11th 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
J.C.

On Oct 10, 5:23�am, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
"J.C." wrote in message

On Oct 9, 10:31?pm, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:

Old October 17th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Would everyone please stop including all the last thread content
...pretty please ...

I just sold a Rowe `JAL` for 800$

Old October 18th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Oct 5, 10:07*am, "J.C." wrote:
[...]

Well if you or anyone else wants to bring a 100% mechanically sound
70's Seeburg juke with great sound and decent cosmetics to the
Chicagoland show in November I would be a buyer.