Ebay is Unfair!

Old April 8th 07, 09:21 AM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
PC[_3_]

Default Ebay is Unfair!

wrote in message
In alt.anti-ebay Bruce Remick wrote:

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with. Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

LIAR! Everybody looses money on eBay!

Looses what? Of do you mean loses?

Old April 8th 07, 11:28 AM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
PC[_3_]

"PC" wrote in message

wrote in message
In alt.anti-ebay Bruce Remick wrote:

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with.
Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

LIAR! Everybody looses money on eBay!

Looses what? Of do you mean loses?

Ha ha. That is rich.

Old April 8th 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Kris Baker

"Salty" wrote in message

I was
referred to Suzanna Gal from the San Jose District Attorney's Office, but
only after sending all my relevant paperwork and evidence to her, did she
not even respond and has done absolutely nothing on the case.

Only after sending...?

So she was responding but stopped when you sent the "relevant" paperwork?
Maybe she can't laugh and type at the same time?

She is a
foreigner and I have trouble understanding her English.

She can't speak white trash? That could be a problem for people like you.
The San Jose's DA office should have considered that when they hired her.
Fluency in white trash should be a prerequisite.

There is no such thing as a San Jose DA's office. There *is* a
city attorney's office. The District Attorney is at the Santa Clara
County level, which does happens to be in San Jose. There is no
such person as "Suzanna Gal" listed (although she seems to
be the subject of a few bad folk songs).

I think we can put this one down as a a 3 on the Troll-O-Meter.

Kris

Old April 8th 07, 02:31 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Roberto Pirezzi

"Kent Wills" wrote in message
As I understand it, on Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:43:10 +0100, "Roberto
Pirezzi" wrote:

[various snips for brevity]

By buying 1 item from 1 seller dirt cheap, and a 2nd from another
seller,
about on the money. Only 1 turns up, therefore buyer loses money lol

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with.
Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

Guess what. I don't know what it's like to die from cancer. Does that mean
it doesn't happen?

Just because it's not happened to you, means it doesn't happen?

He doesn't say it doesn't happen. Just that it hasn't
happened to him.

But that is a pretty arrogant claim. Sure, it may be a correct and valid
claim, but doesn't do much to answer the question that it does happen, and
from the post made, several statements that do not apply to him are made
(ideas/concepts/hypothetical situations). Seems hellbent on claiming IT has
never happened to him, while arguing the opposite that something does/can
happen. Basically, it's all about what fits his agenda, whether he is
willing to accept the open box version.

i.e it's like saying (once again) he has no knowledge of the feeling of
dying of cancer, but accepts and understands people dying from a heart
attack. Whatever suits the discussion at the time it seems.

[...]

Happens all the time. But then all your friend lost was some listing
fees. He might have hit paydirt selling the stuff he otherwise didn't
want.

Money is lost if they sell under value (if my friend needed a new engine
for
his car which cost £300 and the value of his items was, £400, and he makes
£200, he has lost in sales. Bids are final. end of story.)

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

That's not true. How many times has someone HAD to have something (on
impulse) and later said "probabaly paid over the odds for it".

What someone pays for something has no reflection on it's worth. (hence the
trend of buying to resell).

In some peoples eyes, an item is only worth what they can resell it for.

If your
friend is willing to pay £300 for the new engine and he gets it for
that price, he's not lost anything.

Depends how he came into the £300. Example outlined in prior reply.

I've never lost money as a buyer and
seller over about ten years.

It's easier to lose money as a buyer. Losses are instant.

Like I've said, I never lost money as a buyer. I paid what I wanted to.

That is ****ed up. If you pay £100 for something I pay £50 for, you have
lost £50 whether you care to admit it not!

Only if he thinks the item is only worth £50. If he put in a
bid of £100 or more, then he see the item as being worth £100 or
more.

It is still a ****ed up notion to pay more for something than everyone else
does.

I cannot genuinely see someone sat in the pub with 10 friends, all
discussing the price they paid for the same item (whatever it is), and one
person bragging about paying double what everyone else did.

With selling, losses are cumulative over periods of time - i.e if you
make a loss selling 5 items on Monday, but sell 20 items at higher
profit
on Tuesday, by Wednesay, overall, you have profited.

You seem to be describing someone who depends on using eBay for their
business.

You started it! see your own post.

It was someone named Kim who started the thread.

I was not talking about the thread starting point, only what I chose to
reply to.

QUOTE " If someone sets up a business that is dependant on
auctioning their goods on eBay"

I'm thinking more of people who sell collectibles, junk, misc.
stuff on eBay. I don't put collectible items up for auction without
first researching to see what similar items usually bring. If the
prices
are attractive, I might put my stuff up. I always make a modest profit,
and sometimes a large one. Business people who rely on eBay have to
contend with lots of variables, not the least of which are competition
and
lack of interest-- same as they would in a shop.

What exactly is a antique shop if it's not a business?

It's a business that would be in competition with the auction
on eBay as described in the hypothetical above.

The statement made should have read: "Business is Business, whether it is
conducted on eBay or in a Shop"

The argument launches straight into using eBay as the controlling point,
when at the end of the day, the mode used for the business doesn't matter if
the variables are identical.

[...]

If you're not in it for the money, then you can't have any expectation
what you will get for items.

You sure can if you do some research. I'm in it to get the going value
for whatever I'm selling, coins or otherwise. Any profit is a bonus. I
usually get what my research tells me to expect. I usually plan to use
that money for something else, often something I see on eBay.

If your research says you will likely make x. and you fail. How is that a
success story?

One might be likely to make x, but that doesn't mean they
will. If the auction closes at a price the seller likes, then it's a
win for the seller. And if the seller wants to ensure a minimum
amount, s/he will set a reserve.

If I had a box of trinkets and I just wanted to get rid of them, a reserve
would be useless. If I wanted to make sure I was getting SOMETHING worthy
for them, then research would lead me to establish the kind of sum of money
I'd expect to make, and no sane person woud believe someone isn't in it for
the money if they are trying to sell items they know has some kind of value,
and they expect to hit that mark.

Which class of person is in it for the money:

A) eBay Sellers.

B) People who give their items away to charity shops

What's your point here? Some people like to take a crack at selling
stuff
on eBay they might otherwise throw away. Sometimes what they make is a
jaw-dropping surprise. Other people may give their stuff to charity
shops
and will keep an itemized list in order to take a tax deduction. Still
others just give their stuff to charity to be done with it. The
choices
are always there.

Anyone who gives items away are not in it for the money. You say a profit
is
a bonus. If you think that way, you're in it for the money. I don't see
you
saying, any profit I make I donate to charity, no sir, you like the fact
you
can make money from selling your items, so just admit it, and stop
expecting
me to believe someone who talks about research for item value isn't in it
for the money. You're not the type of person someone wanting to re-sell
would use. You research too hard, and you need the extra money from each
sale. If you were not in it for the money, ANY sale is a sale. So what if
it
was under value!

If the other option is to throw the item away, getting no
money for it, then it's fair market value wouldn't matter.

If you're not in it for the money, "fair market value" is a term that
doesn't enter the head!

[...]

Someone who buys a lottery jackpot ticket and doesn't
win doesn't usually whine either.

I can assure you, they do.

I've not heard anyone whine because they didn't win the Power
Ball. And I used to work in a convenience store that sold tickets
(years ago).

I'm not saying they break down in tears over a loss, but the dissapointment
that it was "another week to lose" is whining. Any negative comment about
not winning the lottery is whining. What else can it be?

He expected to lose in the first place.

Just because someone expects to lose doesnt mean they are happy when they
do.

While they probably wouldn't dance a jig from losing, few
people would be so unstable as to let their losing the lottery cause
them to get angry about it. If they do, they most probably have
issues that need to be addressed with the aide of a competent mental
health professional.

I'm not saying they get angry over it. It's much the same as when I go for
diesel, and it's gone up a penny. I might say "damn, not again" but I
wouldn't start bashing the cashier over the price rise.

A win would have been a bonus surprise.

A win would be the REASON they bought the ticket. The HOPE.

They buy it in hopes that, despite the odds, they'll win.
They're buying the "right" to dream about winning.

Some could say the same thing about listing a bag of **** on eBay.

[...]

No big deal if their junk didn't bring much or anything on eBay.
They were going to dump it anyway.

Bruce

And that is why many people rumage through the tip. :-) So, let them carry
on failing to sell, as others manage it quite successfully.

That's the way of business. Some make it, some don't.
Everyone has the right to fail at business.

I wouldn't say they had the "right to fail", I think that is a little harsh
and over the top. I think everyone has the right to attempt to make a
business work. Nobody goes into business on the expectation of failing. If
they do, it is no wonder the majority fail.

l2oberto

--
Kent

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Old April 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Roberto Pirezzi

"Kent Wills" wrote in message
As I understand it, on Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:13:18 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Roberto Pirezzi" wrote in message
.. .

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"nofeestillyoulose" wrote in message
news4yRh.216$Lm.63@trndny05...
ebay is a maze that gives someone something to do. Its like they set
up
a puzzle and intrique you to lose your money with tens of ways of
doing
it. yes you can get some decent buys but lets bet you eventually see
this as a money losing obessision.. Count yourself lucky they helped
you
leave.
If your worried about some fees. your not probably doing so great as
power seller.

If one can occasionally get some decent buys on eBay, how does a buyer
end up losing money?

By buying 1 item from 1 seller dirt cheap, and a 2nd from another
seller,
about on the money. Only 1 turns up, therefore buyer loses money lol

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with. Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

I've only had one item never show up. I was out $28.00.
The seller is no longer a registered eBayer since I was not
the only one he (I'm presuming male) did this to.

It is kinda impossible to define luck without some statistics.

If I claim 100% of ALL items I've won and paid for turned up, that doesn't
mean i'm lucky if I only won 2 items in total.

I shop a lot in general on the net, to the tune of over 10,000 (roughly 60%
imported records, north american DVDs, books) items over the past 8 years.
total items missing, 6. Total loss. £8.00 (the only item so far never
refunded or replaced, though a 2nd item of about 2.50 is awaiting refund).

I should also say, the total figure of parcels includes all goods purchased
on the internet (or telephone in the odd case) by family members.

Am I lucky? Or have I just received a expected service?

As for the eBay seller, more than likely he ran off with the money, and I
think that is still a major reason why people are afraid of using it.
(credit card chargebacks not relevant for the purpose of that point)

l2oberto

--
Kent
Bless me, Father, for I have committed an original sin.

Old April 8th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Salty

Kris Baker wrote:
"Salty" wrote in message
I was
referred to Suzanna Gal from the San Jose District Attorney's Office, but
only after sending all my relevant paperwork and evidence to her, did she
not even respond and has done absolutely nothing on the case.

Only after sending...?

So she was responding but stopped when you sent the "relevant" paperwork?
Maybe she can't laugh and type at the same time?

She is a
foreigner and I have trouble understanding her English.

She can't speak white trash? That could be a problem for people like you.
The San Jose's DA office should have considered that when they hired her.
Fluency in white trash should be a prerequisite.

There is no such thing as a San Jose DA's office.

No?

What is at 70 West Hedding Street, West Wing San Jose, CA 95110?

A great many people seem to think that the District Attorney lurks there
when not otherwise distracted. I am more than happy to stand corrected
if this is no longer the case.

There *is* a
city attorney's office. The District Attorney is at the Santa Clara
County level, which does happens to be in San Jose. There is no
such person as "Suzanna Gal"

Would *YOU* give the op your real name if you didn't have to?

listed (although she seems to
be the subject of a few bad folk songs).

I think we can put this one down as a a 3 on the Troll-O-Meter.

Only a three?

Regards

Salty
Old April 8th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Kris Baker

"Salty" wrote in message
Kris Baker wrote:
"Salty" wrote in message
I was
referred to Suzanna Gal from the San Jose District Attorney's Office,
but only after sending all my relevant paperwork and evidence to her,
did she not even respond and has done absolutely nothing on the case.
Only after sending...?

So she was responding but stopped when you sent the "relevant"
paperwork? Maybe she can't laugh and type at the same time?

She is a
foreigner and I have trouble understanding her English.
She can't speak white trash? That could be a problem for people like
you. The San Jose's DA office should have considered that when they
hired her. Fluency in white trash should be a prerequisite.

There is no such thing as a San Jose DA's office.

No?

What is at 70 West Hedding Street, West Wing San Jose, CA 95110?

Santa Clara DA's office, just as I said. There *is* no "San Jose DA",
only the San Jose city attorney.

A great many people seem to think that the District Attorney lurks there
when not otherwise distracted. I am more than happy to stand corrected if
this is no longer the case.

There's a difference between "Santa Clara DA's office with a San Jose
address" and nonexistant "San Jose DA".

There *is* a
city attorney's office. The District Attorney is at the Santa Clara
County level, which does happens to be in San Jose. There is no
such person as "Suzanna Gal"

Would *YOU* give the op your real name if you didn't have to?

The closest name is a male; apparently, s/he's easily fooled

listed (although she seems to
be the subject of a few bad folk songs).

I think we can put this one down as a a 3 on the Troll-O-Meter.

Only a three?

Regards

Salty

Three. It was suspected early on, even though we kept replying.
A higher rating requires that no one suspects that they're
being trolled.

Kris

Old April 8th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Mr. Clean

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 05:28:30 -0500, "PC"
spake thusly:

"PC" wrote in message

wrote in message
In alt.anti-ebay Bruce Remick wrote:

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with.
Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

LIAR! Everybody looses money on eBay!

Looses what? Of do you mean loses?

Ha ha. That is rich.

you're just talkin' to yourself there, aincha?
Old April 8th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Kris Baker

"PC" wrote in message

wrote in message
In alt.anti-ebay Bruce Remick wrote:

I never buy or bid on anything at a price I'm not satisfiedd with.
Never
had an item I won not show up. Lucky maybe?

LIAR! Everybody looses money on eBay!

Looses what? Of do you mean loses?

Ha ha. That is rich.

you're just talkin' to yourself there, aincha?

Yeah, but he caught himself in a Skitt's Law situation - and was
pointing it out before we all laughed at him.

Look carefully at what he typed.

Kris

Old April 8th 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.anti-ebay,alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting
Roberto Pirezzi

wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Roberto Pirezzi"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

the only things i haven't gotten were rebates from tiger
direct. they had 3 strikes. i did the forms exactly, 4 times
in one case and never got a real answer. my conclusion was
their rebates are a scam. other shared my expirience.
i don't give tiger direct my considerable pc parts
purchases. their loss.
never did a coind shop rebate, they don't seem common.

You hit on a point that is pretty much a core source of income to business,
and that is repeat business.

The majority of professional business people go the extra mile (whatever
they do that they deem the extra mile) to secure your loyalty, as it is a
competitive world out there.

I fail to see how a business can remain active if they continually fail to
meet the needs of it's customer base. Eventually, one day, they will lose
everything, but experience tells me some businesses dont care, as the
directors have bled people dry that long, they have made their millions.

l2oberto