Booted from Ebay for shill bidding

Old December 27th 04, 07:23 PM
JSTONE9352

Default Booted from Ebay for shill bidding

The following:

hccs2
megacoinvault
Old December 27th 04, 07:26 PM
joseph d'allesandro

Any details?

The name rings a distant bell, but I can't quite place it.

Old December 27th 04, 07:58 PM
WJW

What is shill bidding? Forgive my ignorance.

Old December 27th 04, 09:53 PM
Xray

"WJW" wrote in news:1104177486.326154.220460
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

What is shill bidding? Forgive my ignorance.

Is when someone uses an accomplice to place bids to drive the price up, with
no intention of buying the item.
Of course, they run the risk of the shill actually winning the item, which is
the last thing that they want - But on certain desirable items this is highly
unlikely.
Shill bidders typically have low/no feedback, and their bidding patterns
sometimes make them, and the crooked seller[s] that they are in cahoots with,
identifiable to ebay and others.

Old December 28th 04, 02:30 AM
WJW

Thanks for the information. -WJW

Old December 28th 04, 11:19 PM
gogu

Ο "Xray" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
9.130...
"WJW" wrote in news:1104177486.326154.220460
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

What is shill bidding? Forgive my ignorance.

Is when someone uses an accomplice to place bids to drive the price up,
with
no intention of buying the item.
Of course, they run the risk of the shill actually winning the item, which
is
the last thing that they want - But on certain desirable items this is
highly
unlikely.
Shill bidders typically have low/no feedback,

Hmmm ... then how would you call a person with a let's say 85 feedback but
with a 1250 total feedback, 85% of his wins coming from one and only one
seller ?...

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old December 29th 04, 12:58 AM
WJW

Old Italian

"E' mai possibile o porco di un cane
che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane,
anche sul prezzo c'=E8 poi da ridire
ben mi ricordo che pria di partire
v'eran tariffe inferiori alle tremila lire"

Modern English Translation as decoded from Riccardo Venturi Olde
English version of the text above

"How can it be, the Lord damns you all,
That all adventures in this gracious Kingdom
End up regularly with paying a whore?
Damn, their price has increased greatly:
I can remember that before I left
Three dollars was a fairly acceptable price!"

What a weird reference to post, read it at this link
http://www.viadelcampo.com/html/tran...arles%20martel

Old December 29th 04, 07:50 AM
Xray

"gogu" wrote in
:

Ο "Xray" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
9.130...
"WJW" wrote in news:1104177486.326154.220460
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

What is shill bidding? Forgive my ignorance.

Is when someone uses an accomplice to place bids to drive the price up,
with
no intention of buying the item.
Of course, they run the risk of the shill actually winning the item,
which is
the last thing that they want - But on certain desirable items this is
highly
unlikely.
Shill bidders typically have low/no feedback,

Hmmm ... then how would you call a person with a let's say 85 feedback
but with a 1250 total feedback, 85% of his wins coming from one and only
one seller ?...

Well I would think that that definetly wouldn't be shill bidding in that
case, since the shills goal is to artificially drive up the selling price
without actually winning. As I said, I'm sure shills win every now and
then when they get too greedy, and that serves them right. But 20- 30
times, much less hundreds, would be a losing streak for them far beyond
what it could be worth. Apparently this buyer likes doing business with
that seller, and theres nothing wrong with that. If you want second,third
and fourth opinions, most probably more knowlegable than mine, try asking
in alt.marketing.online.ebay Out of curiousity, are these all or mostly
numismatic items ?

Old December 29th 04, 11:14 PM
gogu

? "WJW" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...
Old Italian

"E' mai possibile o porco di un cane
che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane,
anche sul prezzo c'θ poi da ridire
ben mi ricordo che pria di partire
v'eran tariffe inferiori alle tremila lire"

Modern English Translation as decoded from Riccardo Venturi Olde
English version of the text above

"How can it be, the Lord damns you all,
That all adventures in this gracious Kingdom
End up regularly with paying a whore?
Damn, their price has increased greatly:
I can remember that before I left
Three dollars was a fairly acceptable price!"

What a weird reference to post, read it at this link
---------------

It's not weird at all :-)
If you were an Italian you would understand that our "Mediterranean reality"
also applies today in our modern world ;-)
I was blessed to know him personally; I met him at one of his concerts.
It's a pity that he left us so early...

PS
And the translation is not so good...
Il passaggio "...debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane..." dovrebbe
essere tradotto "...they must all be resolved with the help of great
whores...".

Old December 29th 04, 11:15 PM
gogu

Ο "Xray" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
9.130...
"gogu" wrote in
:

Ο "Xray" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
9.130...
"WJW" wrote in news:1104177486.326154.220460
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

What is shill bidding? Forgive my ignorance.

Is when someone uses an accomplice to place bids to drive the price up,
with
no intention of buying the item.
Of course, they run the risk of the shill actually winning the item,
which is
the last thing that they want - But on certain desirable items this is
highly
unlikely.
Shill bidders typically have low/no feedback,

Hmmm ... then how would you call a person with a let's say 85 feedback
but with a 1250 total feedback, 85% of his wins coming from one and only
one seller ?...

Well I would think that that definetly wouldn't be shill bidding in that
case,

Then what it would be, a buyer in love with a seller ?;-)

since the shills goal is to artificially drive up the selling price
without actually winning.

If the price they put as a target is quite high, rest assured that the shill
bidder will constantly win ;-)

As I said, I'm sure shills win every now and
then when they get too greedy, and that serves them right. But 20- 30
times, much less hundreds, would be a losing streak for them far beyond
what it could be worth. Apparently this buyer likes doing business with
that seller, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Well, at a proportion of more than 85% and wining consecutive auctions of
various items ?!
I mean, collectors collect specific coins, I don't know a person collecting
*everything*, from cents to Golden Eagles, from American to virtually every
country of the world !
Sorry, but I don't buy it.
And he is not the only one, I have spotted all these years a half a dozen of
them, placing shill bids with various sellers.

If you want second,third
and fourth opinions, most probably more knowlegable than mine, try asking
in alt.marketing.online.ebay Out of curiousity, are these all or mostly
numismatic items ?

Mostly, because the seller is selling mostly coins.
But as I said above, I have also spotted some non numismatic items from the
same seller...
That makes me 99% convinced that he is a shill bidder.
It wouldn't be right to post the seller's name here though.

rgrds