$100,000 gold certificate

Old January 17th 04, 10:45 PM
stan skyes

Default $100,000 gold certificate

I stumbled on your group by accident and I remembered that my friend
showed me a scan of a $100,000 gold certificate issued on 1934
bearing the picture of Woodrow Wilson. He said that it belongs to his
father. I guess through some of the posts here and on the net that it
is a rarity and could fetch up to "3x its face value (?)" whatever
that means. I also read somewhere that it is illegal to have something
like this in your possession. Is this true? and how much would this
fetch if the said gold certificate was to be authenticated and in mint
condition? Any info would be very helpful! Thanks
Old January 18th 04, 12:37 AM
Scottishmoney

"stan skyes" wrote in message
om...
I stumbled on your group by accident and I remembered that my friend
showed me a scan of a $100,000 gold certificate issued on 1934
bearing the picture of Woodrow Wilson. He said that it belongs to his
father. I guess through some of the posts here and on the net that it
is a rarity and could fetch up to "3x its face value (?)" whatever
that means. I also read somewhere that it is illegal to have something
like this in your possession. Is this true? and how much would this
fetch if the said gold certificate was to be authenticated and in mint
condition? Any info would be very helpful! Thanks

The only $100000 notes are all accounted for, they never left the Federal
Reserve Banks, ie they never entered normal circulation. So no chance that
your friend has the real thing, but only a scan of something seen on the FRB
website or from a book.

The largest notes that entered circulation were the $10000 bills that were
last printed in 1945 and last distributed to the public in 1969, there are
very few of them unaccounted for.

Dave

---

Old January 23rd 04, 04:55 AM
jimmyfc

(ken) wrote in message . com...
(jimmyfc) wrote in message om...
(stan skyes) wrote in message . com...
I stumbled on your group by accident and I remembered that my friend
showed me a scan of a $100,000 gold certificate issued on 1934
bearing the picture of Woodrow Wilson. He said that it belongs to his
father. I guess through some of the posts here and on the net that it
is a rarity and could fetch up to "3x its face value (?)" whatever
that means. I also read somewhere that it is illegal to have something
like this in your possession. Is this true? and how much would this
fetch if the said gold certificate was to be authenticated and in mint
condition? Any info would be very helpful! Thanks

There are no $100,000 GCs in private hands. 6 or 7 notes and several
sheets of specimens are in the hands of the US government and a few
Fed. Res. Banks.

HE IS RIGHT THE 100,000 GOLD CERTIFERCATATE WAS ONLY FOR THE
FEDERAL RESERVE BANKSAND NONE WERE RLEASED IN CURCIRLATIONBUT A
5,000 DOLLAR GOLD CERTIFERCATE IS WORTH SERIES 1928 15,000 VG
VF 27,500 UNC 50,000 THIS IS HOW MUCH IT IS WORTH NOW KENJ
SERIES 1934 NONE

Ken: catalogs WAY underestimate the likely prices of $5000 and $10000
ss. GCs. Only one of each is known to exist. In both cases it is the
sn#1, and both notes are in the Smithsonian.If another one of either
note were to show up in private hands it is likely that it would
bring, at least, the mid 6 figures.
Old January 23rd 04, 03:54 PM
whohah

Wrong. There are at least 114 $10K's known (100 from the Binnion Million +
a few more Binnion didn't have) And many more than that of the $5K's. Ken
(who, by his exclusive use of upper-case letters is either in law
enforcement or is a 'shouter'), by his answers, shows he is mis-informed.
Oh, BTW, value is determined at the instant of transaction between a willing
buyer and a willing seller...

HTH.

Jay in Garriosn, TX

reply, if ya' wanna, to

Old January 23rd 04, 09:26 PM
jimmyfc

"whohah" wrote in message ...
Wrong. There are at least 114 $10K's known (100 from the Binnion Million +
a few more Binnion didn't have) And many more than that of the $5K's. Ken
(who, by his exclusive use of upper-case letters is either in law
enforcement or is a 'shouter'), by his answers, shows he is mis-informed.
Oh, BTW, value is determined at the instant of transaction between a willing
buyer and a willing seller...

HTH.

Jay in Garriosn, TX

reply, if ya' wanna, to

Jay: I was referring to the $5000 and $10000 1928 Gold Certificates,
not the far more common FRN's. If one of these notes were to be
uncovered, it would be a major rarity. I suspect that it would sell
for a price comparable to that of rarest of large size notes.
By the way what's the relationship between law enforcement and using
caps?
Old January 24th 04, 03:03 AM
whohah

I'm a criminal defense attorney . By that I support my 'numisma' jones.
Most offense reports I read are in all caps/upper case. You have no idea
how difficult that stuff is to read. Try it sometime... Find any selection
of verbage, put it into your word processor and convert it to all caps/upper
case. Then try to read it. The only offense reports I regularly read that
are not in all caps/upper case are those produced by the Texas Department of
Public Safety; i.e., the State Police. Anything done by local police or the
Sheriff's Department are always in all caps/upper case.

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Nuff said.

Jay in Garriosn, TX

reply, if ya' wanna, to