$1000 bill

Old November 11th 03, 10:23 PM
Marc Phillips

Default $1000 bill

How difficult is it to find $1000 bills? Are there places or people who
readily offer them? Is there a high markup on them? Are they worth
significantly more than $1000?

I'm asking because my wife's grandfather died a few years ago, and he left her
a book which had two of them hidden within. Now, one of them is missing,
probably due to the fact that we've moved three times since her grandfather
died. (Maybe someone just took it, I don't know.) My wife is very upset; she
wanted to give them to our two sons when they turned eighteen. I'd like to
replace the bill and tell her it magically showed up (hopefully she didn't
memorize the serial numbers or anything).

TIA.
Old November 11th 03, 11:07 PM
MarkR

Marc,

It really depends on the condition of the note. If it looked as though
it had just come off the presses, then it's going to cost you quite a bit
over face value. If it was wrinkled, dirty, torn, written on, etc., etc.
then it will command quite a smaller premium and would most likely be worth
just a little over face. That's about as much as I can tell you but I'd say
that that is about as much as you need to know. If not, I'm sure that
someone who is more knowledgeable will come along and add to this. HTH.

Mark

Old November 11th 03, 11:09 PM
JSTONE9352

Assuming they are Series 1934
notes and in circulated condition they
would be worth somewhere in the
$1200 to $1600 range.
Old November 12th 03, 03:19 AM
Marc Phillips

Marc,

It really depends on the condition of the note. If it looked as though
it had just come off the presses, then it's going to cost you quite a bit
over face value. If it was wrinkled, dirty, torn, written on, etc., etc.
then it will command quite a smaller premium and would most likely be worth
just a little over face. That's about as much as I can tell you but I'd say
that that is about as much as you need to know. If not, I'm sure that
someone who is more knowledgeable will come along and add to this. HTH.

Thanks for the info. The condition of the bills are probably just
average...they're far from crisp, and they were stored for years in the book
folded in half, so there is a pronounced crease, but other than that there is
no damage or tears or marks. When we first discovered them, we were unsure of
what to do with them. I'm a coin collector, but not a very serious one, but
I've always thought that paper money doesn't really appreciate the way coins
do, so I thought the value of them would be something like $1020 if we were
lucky. My wife wanted to keep them for their sentimental value and give them
to our children, but what do you think an eighteen-year-old is going to do with
a $1000 bill?

I told her later in the day, after I made the initial post here, that it might
be better for us to place $2000 into some sort of account for them that would
earn interest, and she actually liked that idea. And just a few minutes ago I
told her what the other poster had said, that they're worth $1200 to $1600, and
now she seems to be interested in selling the remaining one. To tell you the
truth, the other one is around here somewhere; I'm not really worried about
theft, since we're the only two people in the world right now that know we have
them. (Well, us and you guys!)

So my next question is this...would your average coin shop be interested in
buying one (or both, if we find the other one?) I'm in the LA area, and I know
a rather nice shop in the San Fernando Valley (on Ventura in Sherman Oaks),
which I'll probably call tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old November 12th 03, 03:20 AM
Marc Phillips

JSTONE9352 said:

Assuming they are Series 1934
notes and in circulated condition they
would be worth somewhere in the
$1200 to $1600 range.

Thanks for the info. I just gave a more detailed follow-up response to Mark
R's post...perhaps you could answer that post, too.

TIA.
Old November 12th 03, 03:13 PM
AnswerMan2

I hope for your sake that they are not 1840 Bank of the United States notes
with 8894 for a serial number, as they are worthless copies.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old November 12th 03, 07:15 PM
Marc Phillips

AnswerMan2 said:

I hope for your sake that they are not 1840 Bank of the United States notes
with 8894 for a serial number, as they are worthless copies.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan

Nope. They are Series 1934 A bills. The one has a serial number of L00090202.
They were both sequential bills, so the missing one was either 201 or 203.

Old November 12th 03, 07:20 PM
Marc Phillips

Jim said:

(Marc Phillips) adds....

I'm in the LA area, and I know a rather nice shop in the San Fernando Valley

(on Ventura in Sherman Oaks), which I'll probably call tomorrow.

Do a little homework on eBay first to get an idea of relative value re
condition. Then if you're not happy with the coin shop offer, find someone
you
know (there "must be" someone) who sells on eBay and offer them sumpin to
move
it for you there.

I checked out e-bay, and one described as "crisp" was up to $1450. I'm looking
at the one bill right now, and outside of the crease down the middle due to the
fold, it is in very good shape. I'm not sure how paper money is graded in
relation to coins, but I would say if it was a coin, it'd get a VG or VG+.

I do have an e-bay account, and I have a rating in the upper 60s, with no
negative feedback, so I could probably sell it myself. I may do this if the
coin shop doesn't come through. Thanks for the tip!
Old November 12th 03, 10:47 PM
whohah

Is there a star after the serial number?

If so, then seriously reconsider selling now!!

You need to gather more info for if there IS a star after the serial number,
this is a 'replacement' note and very rare. The star in a serial number
means this note 'replaced' another note damaged in the production process.
The BEP has fabulous quality control, so there isn't much need for the
replacements. IIRC, replacements make up 'way less than 1% of total
production.

Look before you leap and buy [or at least, read] the book before you buy or
sell!!

Jay in Garrison, TX
reply, if ya' wanna, to

snipped