What would people think if the US started doing this

Old July 17th 03, 02:22 AM
Anonymous Joe

Default What would people think if the US started doing this

I think the large size currency had much more interesting designs.

I also believe now that we have the smaller currency, if we went back to the
large size currency, it would cost the government more, but would also be
more bulky and harder to handle, so we would have to keep the smaller size
currency.

But, is there any law that prohibits the US Treasury from "reviving" old
designs? What if suddenly we (not you or me, that's illegal started
printing out, say 1869 Legal Tender designs. Those had color.

Anybody have thoughts as to how the people we perceive these old designs
(not just this example, but everything) if they found them in their own
pocket.

Personally, I don't think many people would like them. Anybody who is under
75 can't even remember the large sized notes (as it was 75 years ago that we
started making small sized notes, and even if large notes circulated for
years after, a senior citizen who have to go deep back to their early
childhood to remember them, at a point where they were likely not to be
handling much money to begin with). We had some really nice designs....and
I (for one) am getting quite tired of these notes that have only recently
(within the last 7 years) gotten a face lift, but now look sort of
ridiculous. Our $1 hasn't changed much at all (a motto added....) in 75
years! Perhaps the only thing that has had a longer run is the Lincoln
cent, but even that is sort of divided during 1959 when we stopped with the
wheat back and added the memorial, which is now 45 years old.

Old July 17th 03, 07:14 PM
whohah

Actually, a mere cursory glance at Silver Certificate and United States Note
$1's will reveal a difference in design from the Fed Res $1's. Just look at
the corners. The counters in the corners are different from the SC's and
USN's.

However, your idea , to me, has merit. If you really want to see the old
designs and cannot afford the 'real thing', check out the over 200 varieties
of Souvenir Cards the BEP has produced over the last 30+ years.

For a source for Souvenir Cards, Ken Barr of San Jose, CA (www.kenbarr.com)
comes to mind...

Jay in Garrison, TX
reply, if ya' wanna, to

"Anonymous Joe" wrote in message
I think the large size currency had much more interesting designs.

snipped for brevity's sake

Old July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
Scottishmoney

whohah wrote in message
Actually, a mere cursory glance at Silver Certificate and United States

Note
$1's will reveal a difference in design from the Fed Res $1's. Just look

at
the corners. The counters in the corners are different from the SC's and
USN's.

However, your idea , to me, has merit. If you really want to see the old
designs and cannot afford the 'real thing', check out the over 200

varieties
of Souvenir Cards the BEP has produced over the last 30+ years.

For a source for Souvenir Cards, Ken Barr of San Jose, CA

(www.kenbarr.com)
comes to mind...

Jay in Garrison, TX
reply, if ya' wanna, to

Yeah right, you think the feminazis would allow us to have the design from
the 1896 $5 silver certificate again?

Dave Parrish

Old July 20th 03, 12:21 AM
Anonymous Joe

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

whohah wrote in message
[...]

I believe there are some notes with less-than-fully clothed females (or
female figures) on them. I spose this could only annoy the straight
women...