Ebay - Pet Peeves

Old March 7th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
LordTweedsmuir

Default Ebay - Pet Peeves - Dealers Ripping Off for Handling Charges!!

The stamps were not bad, and although the handling charges were robbery
the price WAS PAID.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:59:55 -0500, Alan wrote:

Why would you buy something with $49 charges ??????

LordTweedsmuir wrote:
What about a seller in the UK who rips off buyers, charging US$ 49
to send a small envelope of stamps?!!

Handling charge, he says!!

Royal Mail lists a charge of only 1 Pound 56 pence for a small packet
of 100 grams = $3!!

No wonder so many sellers are getting unsavoury reputations!

By the way, the extra high charges WAS PAID through Ebay/Paypal in full.

Then the crooked seller cancelled the purchase, complaining about the
negative comments posted about his robbery charges!!

I notice that it seems to be the larger dealers that are involved in scams on
buyers.

The small to medium sized sellers seem much more honest than the big boys!!

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 17:14:38 GMT, ElParagon
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:03:31 -0500, John Mycroft wrote:

I've written to ebay a number of times suggesting they should let you set your preferences up to exclude certain things
permanently unless you ask otherwise. My pet peeves -

Unknown reserve price - set your starting price at the reserve for goodness sake or at least state the reserve in the
description (I've seen this done a number of times). If I ever see "Reserve not met", I move on. And my first bid for
an item is always 1/10th of what I am prepared to pay - this means I can get the item on my Bidding list without overly
inflating the price too early.

Ridiculous shipping charges - even my 8 year old son is on to this one. $2 for something that needs 41 cents postage is
probably reasonable considering listing and envelope costs but $8 isn't.

People who describe everything as RARE!! (320187220562) or WOW! or L@@K!!! (Too many to mention)- I have those excluded
in my favourite searches and would love to have them permanently excluded automatically. There are also certain sellers
I would love to have permanently excluded from all my searches.

Sniping - yes, I do it but at least I do it myself rather than via software. TradeMe (a New Zealand online auction
site) allows sellers to set their lots as "auto-extend" so that, if anyone bids in teh last 2 minutes, the auction gets
extended for another 2 minutes.

I also dislike the listing editor which insists on leaving the keyboard in insert mode even when you want to overtype.

Glad to see that I am not the only one feeling about the same points that you
detailed.

Will Ebay actually do anything about the Pet peeves, or will buyers just have
to set up blacklists of those sellers insisting on annoying us?

HakenKreuz wrote:
A couple of pet peeves about dealing with Ebay sellers:

Sellers having so-called "private bidders"
One never knows whether these are shills for the seller

Unknown Reserved Price by the seller.
One never knows what it is and one can bid a reasonable offer but not get the
lot.

For both of the above reasons, bidders having these situations are now being
blacklisted.

What do other users of Ebay have to say, and do?

Old March 7th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps
LordTweedsmuir

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 08:15:18 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:
LordTweedsmuir wrote:
What about a seller in the UK who rips off buyers, charging US$ 49
to send a small envelope of stamps?!!

Royal Mail lists 1 pound 56 pence = $3 as the charge for 100 grams airmail!!

Handling charge, he says!!

Then the crooked seller cancelled the purchase, complaining about the
negative comments posted about his robbery charges!!

1. You should have known or asked about the S&H charges -=before=- bidding -
your fault!

2.These 'sellers' are using the S&H as a means of profit, listing the stamps
much lower to stimulate bidding. Violation of eBay policy - file a
complaint. - seller's fault.

I DID file a complaint, and then the seller CANCELLED MY PURCHASE,
even though I had paid IN FULL!

3.As eBay says, it's a 'contract' - file a complaint. - seller's fault.

I have filed a complaint

4.NEVER leave feedback until you have the items - your fault!

I think that perhaps I should provide the name of this miserable firm, as a
warning to others.
Comments?
The firm is London based, by the way.

5. Caveat emptor ... forever!

Old March 28th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps
39Steps

Default Ebay - Pet Peeves - Dealers Ripping Off for Handling Charges!! Latest

Just been a victim of another "handling" scam.

For one stamp, costing $8.50, the seller wanted to charge $14.00 for shipping
it in a small envelope!1

I TOLD HIM HE WAS A SCOUNDREL, AND TO STUFF IT.

Fortunately there are but a few rogues selling through Ebay, but soon the
criticism of such will no longer be accepted by Ebay as "negative feedback',
so they will be free to swindle with impunity.

Time to find a more honest system to compete against Ebay.

Old March 28th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message 39Steps wrote:

Just been a victim of another "handling" scam.

For one stamp, costing $8.50, the seller wanted to charge $14.00 for shipping
it in a small envelope!1

I TOLD HIM HE WAS A SCOUNDREL, AND TO STUFF IT.

Why on earth did you bid?

If you had a desperate need for the stamp, and $22.50 was worth it, then fine
and don't complain.

If $22.50 was too much, why bid so high.

The rules are clear. READ THE DESCRIPTION.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :

Ebay - Pet Peeves HakenKreuz General Discussion 36 March 30th 08 08:02 PM
Pet Peeves? William M. Klimon Books 6 September 16th 06 02:48 PM
Pet Peeves - 7/8 TF Morgans [email protected] Coins 9 October 22nd 05 05:29 AM