Burning Stamp Collection - Proper?

Old October 8th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Proposition 88

Default Burning Stamp Collection - Proper?

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:48:21 -0700, "Richard C." wrote:

Troll or not, the OP is an idiot!

If it is truely worth something, then a dealer knows what it is worth.
Either that or sell it on eBay at least.
Burning a collection is a childish act.

A dealer knows how long it takes to break up and sell a collection.

If the collection had anything of real value a dealer will pay a fair price.

NOT IN USA!! Or Canada either.

From comments from many senior collectors, it seems there will be a lot of
collections getting burned by owners, to avoid getting burned by slimy
dealers.

And do not mention the crooked auctions, which seem to be worse than the
dealers!

And one more point to consider, re Canada.

Cheques and money orders from the USa are basically worthless in Canada,
as far as Canadian banks are concerned.

One will not get the cash from such, for up to 90 days, provided the draft or
cheque is actually good.

No prudent seller is going to release his goods to someone he does not know,
UNTIL HE ACTUALLY RECEIVES THE CASH!

There are too many crooked dealers and auctioneers out there.
Just ask APS.

"Proposition 88" wrote in message
. ..
It most definitely was no troll.

Too many of us seniors, who used to collect stamps, are in a similar
situation.

For many of us, sooner than sell below a fair price to some crooked
dealer,
by burning our collections we at least get the satisfaction of denying
some
thief the chance to profit from us.

Not all of us have worthwhile charities nearby, either.

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:59:49 -0400, wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 02:00:22 -0000, Anonymous
wrote:

A friend has admitted that in disgust with offers to buy
from so-called reputable dealers, he has now started to
burn his huge collection.

He says that the offers to buy were so insulting,
he feels that by burning his collection, at least
he will be denying the crooks the chance to make
money from him.

Apparently his children have no interest in stamp
collecting, since they are busy with new families.

Like my friend, I also am disgusted with the larger
dealers, and have found no worthwhile charities to
which I would bequeath my collections.

Is burning the only sensible solution?

Comments from all, invited.

This is a troll in the disguise of the so-called "friend". Do not
take it seriously.

Old October 8th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
[email protected]

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:43:49 GMT, Proposition 88
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:48:21 -0700, "Richard C." wrote:

Troll or not, the OP is an idiot!

NOT IN USA!! Or Canada either.

From comments from many senior collectors, it seems there will be a lot of
collections getting burned by owners, to avoid getting burned by slimy
dealers.

And do not mention the crooked auctions, which seem to be worse than the
dealers!

This poster has been trying to offload overpriced goods to the market
for some time.

Further, this poster has been paranoid, cynical and delusional for at
least the same amount of time.

It is too sad that a fellow stamp collector has fallen to the depths
of despair... anyone, for that matter.

This is the same person who has brought us Edmonton, people. Or, at
least one of his fan club.

This person thinks that through force of will, he will convert us to
his side and thinking about all subject philatelic and political. -OR-
perhaps he thinks he is playing us like a violin -OR- both.

We are all not blind to the injustices in this world, but thinks he
can protect us, fix us and lead us by reminding us every so often
about this or that with fanatical precision.

Away with ye demon! Please burn your collection and leave us poor,
unknowing, hapless sheep to our own fate, thank you very much.
Old October 23rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Ned Kelly

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:06:08 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:
Proposition 88 found these unused words:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:48:21 -0700, "Richard C." wrote:

Troll or not, the OP is an idiot!

If it is truely worth something, then a dealer knows what it is worth.
Either that or sell it on eBay at least.
Burining a collectionis a childish act.

A dealer knows how long it takes to break up and sell a collection.

If the collection had anything of real value a dealer will pay a fair price.

NOT IN USA!! Or Canada either.

By "Fair" it is meant 'fair' in a business sense.

When you go to the market or computer store, you are paying 300% of the
actual cost of production of the 'item'. That's all the transport, handling
and operating costs added in.

A 'fair' price for a good collection is about 25% of the over $1 items.

Unfortunately, most of the larger dealers want to steal the collection for 2%
- not 25%!!

IF the collection is highly specialized ans has the rarities, then it
becomes more.

Your points above are pretty correct.

Unfortunately, in Canada are very few dealers, and to ship to an unknown
dealer risks being swindled, as I have been in the past.

As for auctions, most of them are just as bad at cheating consignors as many
of the dealers kicked out of APS.

As for charities, there are very few that are worth considering, based on the
interests of the donor.

With no family interested, and no fair cash offers, at least by burning, some
satisfaction in knowing that some crooked dealer will not profit, is the best
that can be achieved.

If someone has other suggestions, I am sure many others will also welcome
them beside the OP.
Old October 24th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Phil Rhoade

When we make the decision to become "collectors", we assume a
responsibility to be good caretakers of the material we collect, the
"collectibles". If we are not good stewards of the material we collect,
we deny others of this honor, privilege, and trust. We would not have
the material we collect if our predecessor collectors had not preserved
their collections.

Burning a collection is a gross violation of this responsibility.

Phil

Old October 24th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Richard C.

Excellent Point!

Thanks........
Richard (An APS member for 37 years and a dealer since 1956)

===============

Old October 25th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Ned Kelly

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:30:04 -0700, "Richard C." wrote:

Excellent Point!

Thanks........
Richard (An APS member for 37 years and a dealer since 1956)

===============
"Phil Rhoade" wrote in message news:HvKTi.152534$Xa3.35869@attbi_s22...
When we make the decision to become "collectors", we assume a responsibility to be good caretakers of
the material we collect, the "collectibles". If we are not good stewards of the material we collect,
we deny others of this honor, privilege, and trust.
We would not have the material we collect if our predecessor collectors had not preserved their collections.

Burning a collection is a gross violation of this responsibility.
Phil

That is your opinion, which I would not wish to abrogate.

However, in the real world, what one buys, as property, normally carries
absolutely no philosophical baggage, such as you mention.

Consequently, if the owner thereof feels that sooner than allow some other
person to profit from his property, he wishes to burn it, then that is his
inalienable right - to dispose of such property as he wishes, even unto
destruction.

After all, if he destroys a huge collection, will that not perhaps increase
the value of those items remaining in existence? So indirectly, he benefits
those collectors remaining?

By the way, I notice that not one reputable buyer or dealer has been mentioned
by collectors. Is that because there is no longer such a reputable dealer left
in existence?

Old November 19th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
HakimHaroun

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:05:30 -0500, "Pradipta-Mordehai Ivanow-Lu"
wrote:

A friend has admitted that in disgust with offers to buy
from so-called reputable dealers, he has now started to
burn his huge collection.

holly ****.
1 get any kind of "price evaluation"
2 donate
3 deduct from taxes

(all rich ppl do that. instedad of stams they use stupid Gaugain
paintings )

Since you have finally learned some English, and are now responding several
weeks after the article appeared, it is only fair that people reply to you.

The OP has had several evaluations, even from dealers without enough cash to
buy.

The OP has not found any worthwhile charities to whom to donate, where he
lives.

In Canada one does not "deduct from taxes" whatever that means where you live.

Consequently, the OP gets some satisfaction from burning his collection, a
piece at a time.
Old November 19th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Ryan Davenport

YetAnotherPseudonym wrote:

Consequently, the OP gets some satisfaction from burning his collection, a
piece at a time.

Please burn both your collection and your computer, so that we will
no longer receive your postings.

Ryan
Old November 20th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Nick Knight

In , on 11/19/2007
at 08:48 AM, Sir F. A. Rien said:

Ryan Davenport found these unused words:

YetAnotherPseudonym wrote:

Consequently, the OP gets some satisfaction from burning his collection, a
piece at a time.

Please burn both your collection and your computer, so that we will
no longer receive your postings.

Ryan

Please do the same -=or=- learn the features of your software and how to
set up and use a KILLFILE !!!

Well, I, personally, wrote the newsreader software I am using. And it has a
killfile feature. And I know how to use it.

I found some interest in this thread, originally. However, I've been fairly
convinced for some time that the OP and some of the follow-upers are
phoneys. If someone is really dense enough to burn their collecting with so
many other options available, well ... I said dense, didn't I? That's being
incredibly PC.

I'm not interested in burning my collection, or my computer. The poster you
quoted, tho, had a valid point and request. He simply beat me to it.

Nick