Burning Stamp Collection - Proper?

Old October 7th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
ElCheapo

Default Burning Stamp Collection - Proper?

This situation is already very common among many seniors groups.

Time for someone, somehow, to figure a way for seniors to get a fair deal,
rather than having them ripped off by crooked big dealers.

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 02:00:22 -0000, Anonymous , in wrote:

A friend has admitted that in disgust with offers to buy
from so-called reputable dealers, he has now started to
burn his huge collection.

He says that the offers to buy were so insulting,
he feels that by burning his collection, at least
he will be denying the crooks the chance to make
money from him.

Apparently his children have no interest in stamp
collecting, since they are busy with new families.

Like my friend, I also am disgusted with the larger
dealers, and have found no worthwhile charities to
which I would bequeath my collections.

Is burning the only sensible solution?

Comments from all, invited.

Old October 7th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Jay T. Carrigan

Who says they're getting ripped off? If the collection is
all common stuff that everybody already has, all they will
get is lowball offers. If the collection has a lot of fakes
and damaged material, the price drops even more.

I used to dabble at being a dealer (until I found out it was
too much like work and gave it up). When I would look at a
collection, I would always try to find the stamps worth $100
and up. They, and they alone, really determine the value of
the collection. I can recall once looking at a 40 volume
collection without a single good stamp in it. In cases like
that the buy price is about $100 per volume.

On the other hand, if the collection is clean, neatly mounted,
with complete sets and better values, dealers will fall all
over themselves trying to buy it.

And notice that I haven't said anything about the dealer having
to feed his family and pay the rent.

Everyone who is approaching senior citizenry or is already
there (like me), should ask themselves - What kind of collection
do I have? If you have a lot of damaged and fake material
then I would say burn those stamps and keep the rest.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

Old October 7th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
David Hicks[_2_]

The problem is there are very few collectors in the market under the age of
700 years old, ( or perhaps it just seems that way )

Most of whom will have the majority of material anyway. The fact that
dealers have already disappered in their droves is adequate proof that the
sale of such material is becoming harder.

In order to maintain a collections value, their must be a demand, and the
only way to do thsi is to bring new and younger blood in.

I think it is up to the Clubs ( and hopefully post office ) to go into the
schools and encourage stamp clubs, perhaps the adult local clubs can
arrange for " Dads & Lads" visit and talk to some more experienced
collectors on the whys, hows and wherefores of teh hobby.

Perhaps the main meeting could start say 30 mins later, giving time for the
novices to have participation without being over awed by the grumpy old
boys, who just want to display page after page of collection. ( which quite
frankly is rarely of any interest to anyone but themselves and similarly
grumpy old boys ) A novice is only interested in numbers, how to mount
them, etc etc

Why not get your club to enquire of any local schools have clubs - if so
arrange for a tie up. Perhaps even accumulate all your club members
unwanted stamps and donate them to the beginners - this is the only way
your collection is to be sold for any worth in the future

With regard to your friend trying to dispose of his collection, why not try
ebay, or one of the major stamp auctions. If you let me know where he
lives I can may be able to give you contact detail sof a local one

Regards

David

Old October 8th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Paul

yawn

Old October 11th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Rodney

"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in message
Who says they're getting ripped off? If the collection is
all common stuff that everybody already has, all they will
get is lowball offers. If the collection has a lot of fakes
and damaged material, the price drops even more.

This months "Australian Stamps professional"
has an image of a potential $10,000 collection
sent to a major dealer.
Due to poor storage practice (rust) the collection
is "unsaleable"

Old October 11th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Richard C.

"rodney" wrote in message
.. .

"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in message
Who says they're getting ripped off? If the collection is
all common stuff that everybody already has, all they will
get is lowball offers. If the collection has a lot of fakes
and damaged material, the price drops even more.

This months "Australian Stamps professional"
has an image of a potential $10,000 collection
sent to a major dealer.
Due to poor storage practice (rust) the collection
is "unsaleable"

=============================
And I bet the seller is complaining about the lousy dealer that would
not give him what he KNEW it was worth!

Old October 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
[email protected]

Why not try to sell it here with no list cost...

http://www.delcampe.es/seller_sales....ffili ate=y3x

....and make the market to deside.

They have items from 0.01$ and more

Cheers stamps

Old October 12th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
[email protected]

Ooops.. that wasn´t my store but here you have an ENGLISH LINK
for selling your postage stamps or other philatelic material.

http://www.delcampe.net/main.php?lan...&affiliate=y3x

Old October 13th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Ned Kelly

having been burned in the past with so-called auctioneers, the seller is
unwilling to trust anyone outside his area again.

Also, the seller is not willing to waste time and money on small sales, only
in disposing of ALL the material to a worthwhile buyer.

At the moment, there are now negotiations with an offshore possible buyer, so
there still are some honest people, even if not in North America, capable of
making a large deal.

Old October 13th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
[email protected]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:23:28 GMT, Ned Kelly
wrote:

having been burned in the past with so-called auctioneers, the seller is
unwilling to trust anyone outside his area again.

Also, the seller is not willing to waste time and money on small sales, only
in disposing of ALL the material to a worthwhile buyer.

At the moment, there are now negotiations with an offshore possible buyer, so
there still are some honest people, even if not in North America, capable of
making a large deal.

Afraid the IRS will find out?

Burning Stamp Collection - Proper? Anonymous General Discussion 45 November 19th 07 04:23 PM
Burning Stamp Collections - Proper? Anonymous[_2_] General Discussion 0 October 7th 07 03:57 AM
Burning Stamp Collections - Proper? Anonymous General Discussion 0 October 7th 07 03:00 AM
Stamp Burning MK3 General Discussion 7 March 15th 06 09:25 AM
Proper Pronunciation Adolphe Menjou Coins 61 January 19th 06 05:05 AM