A fluke or the wave of the future...?

Old August 11th 04, 12:14 AM
Haunted River

Default A fluke or the wave of the future...?

(Jbrodie1750) wrote in message ...
I collect books by the music lexicographer Nicolas Slonimsky for the simple
reason that I love his quirky writing style and peculiar insights into music.
I always thought that I was a member of a very small club. Most sensible
people couldn't care less. Who else would be interested? But a recent auction
on e-bay makes me reconsider. A signed book by Slonimsky inspired seven bids
and sold for a little more than one hundred dollars.

Browsing through the Slonimsky offerings on ABE leads me to believe that his
books are far from collectible. But this ebay action makes me think again. I
am offering a few signed Slonimsky's on ABE myself. . Should I re-price them
upwards?

The question I seem to be asking is: can the results of one e-bay auction
change the general perception of an author and his or her books? Or should
that auction be considered a fluke ...and should I therefore continue to
consider my Slonimskys of interest only to myself?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Jonathan

The only auctions that contribute anything to the perceived value of a
book are high profile auctions, ideally real ones where catalogues are
issued. Ebay is awash with shill bidding and rogue trading so I
wouldn't put the slighest stock in the values they achieve. ABE is a
far better gauge of genuine value.