Senate gives green light to 2009 $1 Lincoln commemorative coin

Old June 30th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Senate gives green light to 2009 $1 Lincoln commemorative coin

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...e/14933297.htm

Old June 30th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

No information on composition.

Thomas anyone?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:s.00811: Add colon at the end
if the URL drops it.

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...e/14933297.htm

Old June 30th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I was under the impression that they were going to make the regular copper
coated zinc coin for general circulation and special bronze coins for
collectors probably in proof. It wouldn't surprise me if the zincolns were
included in the mint sets and regular proof sets and the bronze ones in the
silver proof sets.

Of course, by that time, we'll be in the 3rd year of the presidential
dollars and it hasn't been announced whether they will be included in the
mint set. Who knows, with the way coinage production is planned to
increase, the packaging may be the size of the SCWC in a few years.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here, we might as
well dance!

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
k.net...
No information on composition.

Thomas anyone?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:s.00811: Add colon at the
end if the URL drops it.

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
Current eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...shreadv ector

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...e/14933297.htm

Old June 30th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Eh?

This thread is about the new (pending legislation) $1 Lincoln commemorative coins, NOT the
200th anniversary of his birth once cent coins which were included in previous legislation
which is now law.

Lincoln was President 16. His Golden Dollar will be the last one in year 4 of the program.
Program starts in 2007. 2010 will be year 4. The year the one cent coin and paper dollar
are discontinued (according to "the secret plan", BUWAHAHA).

-Fred Shecter

http://www.sirius.com/

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
[...]

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...e/14933297.htm

Old June 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Oops! I read 2009 Lincoln commemorative and thought it was about the cent.
It's that speed reading course I took years ago.

I thought about Lincoln being the 4th coin in the 4th year of the
Presidential dollar series. That opens up a number of options for the mint
to create new set combinations with the Lincolns--the presidential dollar,
the $1 commemorative and the cents.

These could be pretty interesting sets. Did I tell you that Abe Lincoln is
my cousin, only 22 levels removed? That's almost like being brothers.

I think you're dreaming, Fred, if you think the Congress is going to move
to get rid of the paper dollar. I wrote my congress critter about it a year
or so ago. He sent me a report prepared a few years ago for any Congressman
who wants it. Basically, it said that coins are much cheaper than paper
dollars. But the politics of the situation will keep it from happening.

But I'm wondering why you're worried about the cent. You're a businessman.
You have a shop. And you can choose not to use cents. Most coin purchases
are usually such that the last digit in the price even with the tax are
usually insignificant. Just round it. And when's the last time you got
someone who wanted to pay for a purchase with cents?

Getting rid of the paper dollar I can see. Getting rid of the cents doesn't
make much sense.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

God grant me the senility to forget the people I don't like
The good fortune to run into those I do like
And the eyesight to tell the difference

[...]

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...e/14933297.htm